query regarding updating openSUSE keeping the home directory

Hi… it is an old question… still have some doubts… openSUSE 11.2 will be releasing soon and I want to update keeping the data in the home directory… I have a seperate home partition and after installing, I can mount this as my home partition rite?

what if the KDE versions are different? I am using 4.3.1 now and i don’t know what will be the version in 11.2. And what about the applications installed? If update option is chosen, i won’t lose any applications rite? Anyways, I will take a backup of both root and home partitions before I do any updation.

You’ll be fine keeping /home

11.2 will be kde4.3

You might be interested in this
openSUSE 11.2 will support live updates - openSUSE Forums

mm… opnsuse supporting live update is a good news…so you are saying like if 11.2 somes with 4.3.0 and I am using 4.3.1, there won’t be any issues!!!

I’m not saying anything. I don’t know enough to confirm either way. Once release comes I’ll have some answers. With everyones installation being different it’s pretty much impossible to say you’ll have NO issues.

Another thing is the file system. Default file system for 11.2 will be ext4. Will this be a peoblen during updation?

If you want to move to ext4, my advice would be a re-install. Backup and re-do everything.
zypper dup as an update method will not change the partitioning format.