No internet with 11.2 M8

I cannot access the internet when running 11.2M8 as VirtualBox 3.0.6 guest. I get an IP address and ping individual addresses, but name resolution is not working. /var/lib/dhclient shows no name servers listed.

Thanks.

ByteEnable wrote:
> I cannot access the internet when running 11.2M8 as VirtualBox 3.0.6
> guest. I get an IP address and ping individual addresses, but name
> resolution is not working. /var/lib/dhclient shows no name servers
> listed.

What host?

Fedora 11. M7 did not have this problem. This is new.

ByteEnable wrote:
> Fedora 11. M7 did not have this problem. This is new.

I just loaded M8 in VirtualBox 3.0.6 with openSUSE 11.1 as host.
Networking is just fine. Did you do an update or a complete load?

Complete fresh install. I got it to work by using “Edit Connections”. I added a new connection and specified the full DHCP option and that worked. As I posted earlier, out of the box, it did not work.

I just upgraded from factory tonight and I failed to get DNS resolution. I checked the lease file and it had the DNS servers. The network script would not overwrite resolv.conf because it claimed that it was manually created so I removed the blank resolv.conf and ran netconfig update and that created a new resolv.conf file. DNS works again.

I think I have the same problem with a clean new installation of M8, live CD, KDE, 64 bit-version. I start with cable-connect to my router and ifup-control in Yast, and I came up with ip-addr from dhcp in the router. I am also able to ping default gw in the router, but have no dns nameresolution.
Could you please be more specific about the way you resovled this problem?

Jan

On 10/11/2009 03:16 PM, janoholm wrote:
>
> I think I have the same problem with a clean new installation of M8,
> live CD, KDE, 64 bit-version. I start with cable-connect to my router
> and ifup-control in Yast, and I came up with ip-addr from dhcp in the
> router. I am also able to ping default gw in the router, but have no dns
> nameresolution.
> Could you please be more specific about the way you resovled this
> problem?

Delete /etc/resolv.conf and see if that helps. The latest systems
seems to be having difficulty in recognizing that the on-disk copy is
not revised.

I worked all morning to resolve this issue, I couldn’t get to these forums to find out the problem because, well, the internet does not work with name resolution…

The strange thing for me is that I installed 11.2 M8 and everything worked, including name resolution. I installed it yesterday (Oct 11). Then I went to the Software Install and accepted all the updates (there were quite a few) and went to bed. The next morning name resolution did not work at all. After a lot of fiddling with my modem, router, opensuse config, I resolved the solution by adding a “nameserver xxx.xx.xx.xx” line to the resolv.conf file in /etc.

I have no idea which update caused this because I do not know how to trace which update touched which file… It would be really good to find out.

I can confirm that it helps deleting the resolv-file in /etc and rebooting with the NIC connected via cable to my router with dhcp-server including dns-settings.

Thanks again for help

Jan