Thread: 82801 (ICH Family)HD Audio Controller

follow the photons from that red dot on your chest to its source.

Thumbs up 82801 (ICH Family)HD Audio Controller

If you look at
    Yast Hardware Sound and see something like this, when you have no sound, tr this.

Yast>Hardware>Sound

Select Edit model

add "ref"

select ok

follow it though and reboot your sound.

Close Yast, restart kmix or what ever it is in Gnome.

open kmix or ... un-mute and turn the volume up on everything, in my case I chose 'right'.

Close mixer, make sure volume is at a reasonable level.

Reboot your puter. after you login, you should be hearing the startup file play.

enjoy.

Blog Entries

Default Re: 82801 (ICH Family)HD Audio Controller

Quote Originally Posted by China_Jobs View Post
    If you look at
    Yast Hardware Sound and see something like this, when you have no sound, tr this.

Yast>Hardware>Sound

Select Edit model

add "ref"

select ok

follow it though and reboot your sound.

Close Yast, restart kmix or what ever it is in Gnome.

open kmix or ... un-mute and turn the volume up on everything, in my case I chose 'right'.

Close mixer, make sure volume is at a reasonable level.

Reboot your puter. after you login, you should be hearing the startup file play.

enjoy.
    China_Jobs, welcome to openSUSE forums.

I note you replied to a number of sound support threads. We need all the help we can get, so you help here is appreciated.

I note that in every case recommended the application of the model "ref". In fact, that model option does NOT work in most cases. It will break the sound in cases where it does not apply. If one looks at the 1.0.18 version of alsa-configuration.txt file, and does a search for ref, one will find that option "might" only work for the following options ...

STAC9200, STAC9205/9254, STAC9220/9221, STAC9202/9250/9251, STAC9227/9228/9229/927x, STAC92HD71B*, STAC92HD73*

Typically what I do is ask users for the following script output:
    /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh
    that is documented here: SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE

That script will tell me their PC's openSUSE version, kernel, hardware audio codec, sound daemons in use, mixer settings, and a bunch of other stuff.

I also ask to see many of their installed rpms plus their audio config file "sound", in case I need to recommend an update to alsa. Hence I usually ask for:
    rpm -qa | grep alsa
    rpm -qa | grep pulse
    rpm -q libasound2
    uname -a
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound
    Note I ask for the kernel version twice (once via script and once via command). I do that because an amazing number of users will change their kernel version or their alsa version between running the script, and providing me the rpm versions of alsa installed. By having the kernel version twice, I can often pick that up, and treat their case accordingly.

You help in sound is appreciated.

We can use all the help we can get in the forums, so if you get the chance you could read the following files (comes with the documentation in every alsa tarball):
    • alsa-configuration.txt
    • hd-audio-models.txt
    • hd-audio.txt
    and that should shed some light on this, and the various aspects associated with troubleshooting Linux sound.