home/user folder not found/ lost

Hi there,

i can not find my /home/user folder on my suse 11.1 System. Impossible to log on

The Partition volume has the same size as before. i want to backup my Data to an USB-HDD. when i change in to home directory it will false. Because the user is in yast available an i don’t wont to delete him. now my question:

where can i find my data’s on my computer to save it quick?

try booting from a Live CD (doesn’t have to be openSUSE) then mount
the partition where your /home should be, and see if your home is there…

i wonder, did you recently log into Gnome or KDE as root? if so, while
you have the Live CD booted and /home mounted, go into your /home and
make sure your /home/[you]/.ICEauthority and /home/[you]/.Xauthority
are owned by you, in the group named “users”, and you can both read
and write to it, but it is forbidden to either read or write by any
others–and, then NEVER log into Gnome, KDE, XFCE or any other Linux
GUI as root, ever again…

oh, and it is best to make backups BEFORE disaster strikes…but, do
it now anyway…

when your backup is done, and .ICEblahblah repaired maybe you will be
able to log in as yourself again…maybe

if you can’t boot after repairing those hidden files in your home,
then tell me about the last time everything did work…what did you
do, change, edit as root, install, update, “play with” etc etc etc…

by the way, i don’t know your level of experience with Linux, but as a
general rule it is easier to read how to do something beforehand and
then do it correctly than it is to recover from experiments…

palladium

Switch to a Linux console using Crtl-Alt F1 and see if you can login there.

Doing so will determine if the problem is with X as suggested as by the poster above, and let you access your files without a LiveCD.

Thank you for help. i found a way to fix the problem.
there was /nfs- binding over the /home directory, way ever. i kill the nfs- binding under /etc/fstab and see, the "user-home folder is available. no data lost, system working fine.

i am a old rabbit, start with suse 5.0. is a long time ago.

see you on opensuse 11.2

iconi

Thank you for help. i found a way to fix the problem.
there was /nfs- binding over the /home directory, way ever. i kill the nfs- binding under /etc/fstab and see, the "user-home folder is available. no data lost, system working fine.

i am a old rabbit, start with suse 5.0. is a long time ago.

i must resize my / directory form 50GB to 100GB. is it realizable with LiveCD??

see you on opensuse 11.2

iconi

Yast’s partitioner is available in the Live CD. If there is vacant space adjacent to the / root partition, Yast will allow to upsize. If there is a partition adjacent, Yast will balk.

But Gparted on CD will allow it if Yast will not. I use Gparted on CD for sticky resizes.

Why is that palladium?

>> then NEVER log into Gnome, KDE, XFCE or any other Linux
>> GUI as root, ever again.
> Why is that palladium?

for your reading pleasure:
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Login_as_root
http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdebase-runtime/userguide/root.html
http://tinyurl.com/6ry6yd

palladium

Those are opinions, not reasons.

This business of advising to “never” log in as root is sort of like a guild member casting an incantation to demonstrate the importance of the guild. A bit of mystery and “danger” is “exciting”, so to speak.

IMO there are times when it’s expeditious to log into the root GUI.

Swerdna,

OpenSUSE doesn’t seem to have a lot of trouble with logging in as root. RedHat/CentOS/Fedora seem to EXPECT it at times. But there is some concern about hidden history and authority files being inadvertently overwritten.

Technically, that’s a bug. If I’m logged in as root, it should NOT overwrite the .Xauthority (or any other file) in the /home/stephen directory. If it needs to modify an .Xauthority, it should touch the one in /root. But I have had this happen, which is probably why palladium suggested looking for that (and provided the warning).

A parallel issue under Ubuntu comes with their clunky, “use sudo for everything” approach at the CLI. I can’t remember the precise sequence of commands that will cause this, but basically, when I do a “sudo nano” to edit an /etc config file, for example, it’s very likely to change the ownership of /home/user/.nano_history file to root. That’s not a show-stopper; nano will complain when you start it, and to fix it, you just do a quick “chown.” But it is annoying.

I reiterate, though, that I personally think that this is a bug. If I’m logged in as root, only config and history files belonging to root should ever be touched (unless, of course, I purposely touch them myself).

Thank you for that. You demonstrate that there is need to be cautious when logged in as root. And I too, like you and palladium, would always advise to log in as root only when really necessary and to do the job you need to get done, cautiously, and to get out asap.

Bravo swerdna!
Linux is about choice and the power to do it. Personally, I would not advise someone to “never log-in as root” as that’s telling them they are not to do things to fix their experience with Linux.
My approach instead is to caution "take extreme care when you are logged in as root and log out of root as soon as root privileges are no longer required.:\