Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: garbled screen with fglrx driver

Default garbled screen with fglrx driver

Hi there.
    I'm very impressed by the new opensuse 11. Amazing work, and it installed very fine. No problems.

But..I now need some help to figure out why my desktop screen fail after updating to fglrx driver.
    Nothing works, and the screen is very messed up. Except the mouse cursor is movable, but nothing else works.
    info:
    Ati radeon HD 4850
    Hitachi LCD tv, connected with DVI - HDMI ( could this be the problem? )
    Amd 64bits
    4GB ram.
    OpenSuse 11 on KDE

could it be newest xorg that is the problem? I used the "one click installation" to install the fglrx driver.

Have tried aticonfig --initial
    Before i tried fglrx driver, xorg had the radeonhd driver installed.
    I also have crawled the web to see if I could find a solution but to no help...

Blog Entries

Default Re: garbled screen with fglrx driver

Hi Ultra-magnus. I'm assuming you installed as per this (openSUSE 11.1) guide. Are you sure you installed the correct driver for your hardware? And did you do this step at runlevel 3?

SaX2 -r -m 0=fglrx
    You may also need to try the command line method (outlined in the guide), if you have problems with the '1-click' install method.

Blog Entries

Note: The 1-click links in that guide are only for openSUSE 11.1

You may better adding the ATI repository from here, to install the drivers.

Hi! Thanx for replying.
    unless there is a specific driver for Radeon HD 4850, or 4xxx series, i think i tried the right drivers.
    Is there really a 4xxx driver @ ati ?

also tried
    SaX2 -r -m 0=fglrx
    It doesent help...
    It seems opensuse really tries to make it work, but it always fails with strange huge fonts, non working desktop and so on.. even CTRL+ALT+F2 and so on doesent work.. it freezes if i try.

i have copied the xorg.conf-original to xorg.conf, so i now run with the radeon hd driver wich opensuse initially installed for me.
    Kind Regards

edit: i downloaded the opesuse 11.1 dvd yesterday and installed it.

Blog Entries

edit: i downloaded the opesuse 11.1 dvd yesterday and installed it.
    So your using openSUSE 11.1 now.. Maybe you should try the commandline method outlined, using the driver from here.

i have copied the xorg.conf-original to xorg.conf, so i now run with the radeon hd driver wich opensuse initially installed for me.
    Thats sensible. At least you can always return to a working state.

Anyone else have any ideas about this?

I realize there IS a specific radeon driver for 48xx cards by going to ati.com drivers page...

I will try their driver and see what happens, but I feel this will not work, as I realize now I have tried this with Debian Lenny, and with same results...

I'm beginning to believe this is related to rotten drivers from ati...
    Look at this post:
    Radeon is the most buggy graphic card - openSUSE Forums

Please tell me, that post isn't related to my problems..

I must ask again.. could this be because of xorg version 7?
    some bug with my graphics card and the Xorg system?

Thanks again deano for your response!

I also should tell you that the driver upgrade to fglrx have "screwed" up my desktop even when using the radeonhd driver:
    screensaver does not work as intended,
    taskbar is pushed to about half of the lower screen, ( had a segment fault error )

the kde desktop is now generally slow when trying to respond to my mouseclicking on anything. The greeter, xdm? kdm? is also garbled and presents my login credentials with immensely huge fonts and i need to use the tab key to enter my user and pass.

Im trying the command line way, but with older drivers from ati to see if that could work.. version 8.10.

no good ofcourse, because older drivers dont support suse 11.1
    trying to reinstall, but only this time I wipe out my older /home directory from debian lenny...
    Could it be that one? hmm....

ok I give up linux for now I think..
    reinstalled suse 11.1 with formatting the partitions..
    once installation was done, the installer tries to autodetect settings and so forth..
    rebooting,
    and desktop shows up but in some insane resolution like lower than 320x200 or something, and with nonresponsive buttons in kde...

try to modify xorg.conf with 1024x768 settings on everything, but after /etc/init.d/xdm restart
    the desktop comes up showing the exact same thing..

What have the xorg coders and ati been up to?
    I guess this works great on laptops, but for one who likes to have a quiet htpc in his livingroom connected to a LCD TV, this is not the future :-(

Back to the non secure winblows xp... or maybe I should install wintendo 7, and watch some good old blue-screens of death....

Sorry people, this sucks...

Unless someone can help me....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast