Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Bing vs. Google: Is Microsoft Losing Its Mojo?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    /dev/swat
    Posts
    1,181

    Default Bing vs. Google: Is Microsoft Losing Its Mojo?

    Just read this post, looks like M$ users like bing than Google.
    Interesting comment from one user:

    Wow, not me. Windows has the apps I use everyday. Google OS is just a bunch of hype. And I have GMail, so I know what you mean. I like GMail and the RSS Reader. But Chrome OS? Come on.... Surely you are kidding. Google Apps are horrible. I'll stick with Office, my BlackBerry, and Enterprise Services. Looking forward to Windows 7.
    Windows 7??? i think he is referring to Vista 7(mean Vista with new SP).

    Bing vs. Google: Is Microsoft Losing Its Mojo? - PC World
    Linux[openSUSE, KDE], PHP, MySQL, Wordpress, Tech News, etc :
    http://anl4u.com

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    3,611

    Default Re: Bing vs. Google: Is Microsoft Losing Its Mojo?

    Bing has already taken market share from Google partly because its search algorithms are better than the existing Google ones; but Google is expected to remedy that shortly anyway.

    The importance of Bing for MS is that it is a source of advertising revenue to compensate for the losses of revenue it is suffering in other areas.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Delta Quadrant
    Posts
    1,453

    Default Re: Bing vs. Google: Is Microsoft Losing Its Mojo?

    I think MS lost it's mojo in '98. That's kind of been the last time
    I recall anything coming out of MS still being half way cool.
    It's just taken awhile for the train to slow down after the engine stalled.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,108
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default Re: Bing vs. Google: Is Microsoft Losing Its Mojo?

    My wife, a winXP fan, was complaining that Explorer by default goes to Bing. ... She had to dig deep within Explorer menu's to figure out how to change Explorer's default search engine from Bing to Google. She actually prefers Firefox browser, but there are some Thai language web sites that Explorer handles much better than Firefox (and hence her needing to use Explorer on occasion).

    IMHO this MS-Explorer setting is a classic case of Microsoft levering its monopoly to give itself an arguably unfair competitive advantage (depending on one's view on the fairness of monopolies). ie MS-Explorer is the default browser, and now Bing is the default Search Engine for MS-Explorer, which means Bing is now the default Search Engine for Windows. ...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Delta Quadrant
    Posts
    1,453

    Default Re: Bing vs. Google: Is Microsoft Losing Its Mojo?

    > IMHO this MS-Explorer setting is a classic case of Microsoft levering
    > its monopoly to give itself an arguably unfair competitive advantage
    > (depending on one's view on the fairness of monopolies). ie MS-Explorer
    > is the default browser, and now Bing is the default Search Engine for
    > MS-Explorer, which means Bing is now the default Search Engine for
    > Windows. ...


    It's a rather non straight forward process to change it as well unlike
    Firefox's method.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,108
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default Re: Bing vs. Google: Is Microsoft Losing Its Mojo?

    Quote Originally Posted by GofBorg View Post
    It's a rather non straight forward process to change it as well unlike Firefox's method.
    Could be ... I don't use Windoze so I would not know how easy or difficult. HOWEVER despite a lot of Firefox hype that one reads, I do know Microsoft has a monopoly on operating systems that Firefox does not have. Hence IMHO there is no need for Firefox to make it straightforward, however for Microsoft to even create a default (as opposed to offering a choice upon first running Explorer) will likely be considered by many as a monopolistic practice, where in some countries of the world such practices are illegal.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,317
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Bing vs. Google: Is Microsoft Losing Its Mojo?

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu
    My wife, a winXP fan, was complaining that Explorer by default goes to
    Bing. ... She had to dig deep within Explorer menu's to figure out how
    to change Explorer's default search engine from Bing to Google. She
    actually prefers Firefox browser, but there are some Thai language web
    sites that Explorer handles much better than Firefox (and hence her
    needing to use Explorer on occasion).

    IMHO this MS-Explorer setting is a classic case of Microsoft levering
    its monopoly to give itself an arguably unfair competitive advantage
    (depending on one's view on the fairness of monopolies). ie MS-Explorer
    is the default browser, and now Bing is the default Search Engine for
    MS-Explorer, which means Bing is now the default Search Engine for
    Windows. ...
    Hi
    Give google chromium a whirl, that may be better?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.29-0.1-default
    up 5 days 21:01, 2 users, load average: 0.10, 0.08, 0.02
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18


  8. #8

    Default Re: Bing vs. Google: Is Microsoft Losing Its Mojo?

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    My wife, a winXP fan, was complaining that Explorer by default goes to Bing. ... She had to dig deep within Explorer menu's to figure out how to change Explorer's default search engine from Bing to Google. She actually prefers Firefox browser, but there are some Thai language web sites that Explorer handles much better than Firefox (and hence her needing to use Explorer on occasion).

    IMHO this MS-Explorer setting is a classic case of Microsoft levering its monopoly to give itself an arguably unfair competitive advantage (depending on one's view on the fairness of monopolies). ie MS-Explorer is the default browser, and now Bing is the default Search Engine for MS-Explorer, which means Bing is now the default Search Engine for Windows. ...
    Yup, was going to say that... I think end users for increased that way a lot. But that is microsoft. In the same way Firefox's default search engine is Google, IE's default is Bing now. And there are a lots and lots of people for whom it does not matter what is the search engine. They may not even know that their search engine has changed

    I really do not have something against M$ software, but their strategy is not right. They do not sell their product by making it better, but by making it next to impossible to run M$ software in cohesion with others software.

    I recently updated my Vista to install SP2, but it failed and screwed my Vista. On research I found that Vista SP2 packs do not install successfully on systems which dual boot with other OS's(I dual boot Vista and openSUSE).

    This really makes me angry at M$(Not their software but the people). I try to keep myself as much as far from any windows application and I do not even use wine for that purpose
    .
    --
    Vivek Bhat
    Linux User #496540
    Dell 620 S Desktop, 8GB, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz, openSuSE Leap 42.1
    +Plasma 5, Kernel 4.1.20-11-default x86_64

  9. #9

    Default Re: Bing vs. Google: Is Microsoft Losing Its Mojo?

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Could be ... I don't use Windoze so I would not know how easy or difficult. HOWEVER despite a lot of Firefox hype that one reads, I do know Microsoft has a monopoly on operating systems that Firefox does not have. Hence IMHO there is no need for Firefox to make it straightforward, however for Microsoft to even create a default (as opposed to offering a choice upon first running Explorer) will likely be considered by many as a monopolistic practice, where in some countries of the world such practices are illegal.
    Would not that apply the same to Firefox who have google as default search engine?? Even Firefox do not give you a choice on the first run.

    On the other hand, Windows does ask you for a default web browser on the first run. When I upgraded from IE7 to IE8, and ran it first time, it did give out a list of search engines and asked me to set the default one.. Google was there also.
    --
    Vivek Bhat
    Linux User #496540
    Dell 620 S Desktop, 8GB, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz, openSuSE Leap 42.1
    +Plasma 5, Kernel 4.1.20-11-default x86_64

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,108
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default Re: Bing vs. Google: Is Microsoft Losing Its Mojo?

    Quote Originally Posted by vendetta18 View Post
    Would not that apply the same to Firefox who have google as default search engine?? Even Firefox do not give you a choice on the first run.
    No it does not apply. Google has no monopoly. Firefox has no monopoly.

    In some countries, there are regulations/laws that govern companies that have monopolies.

    It boils down to using a product with a "monopoly" to push out competitors. That is illegal in some countries.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •