Thread: setting up LAN for mac osx laptop and suse 11.1 workstation

mikew1368 NNTP User

Default setting up LAN for mac osx laptop and suse 11.1 workstation

When I have several macs on my LAN, I can easily go to my system preferences under 'sharing', click 'file sharing',
    and my laptop can then access the hard drive on the other mac machine (IMAC or whatever).

Now I have a workstation running suse 11.1. I want to access it's hard drives from my mac osx laptop, again both are on my LAN.

Is there an easy way to get this going? I am finding things like /etc/init.d/atalk that use netatalk, but it doesn't seem near as obvious to get going as setting up mac to mac connection.

Blog Entries

Default Re: setting up LAN for mac osx laptop and suse 11.1 workstat

It's not so easy in linux (unfortunately). You can use samba to talk with a Mac. It should be pretty much on by default. Except the firewall needs to be opened.

IIRC the home directories are open so you can do addressing like this \\linux_machine\john or smb://linux_machine/john (depending where you're addressing from).

The sharing of other directories and drives needs to be setup by you.

You'll probbaly need to add users to the Samba user databse if you want to access the private directories like smb://linux_machine/john

You'll need to make the same workgroup name on the Linux machine as on the Macs

More here: Samba and Suse: HowTo Set up an openSUSE-Windows Home Office LAN/Network. Versions 10, 11
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore