Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grub problem upon installation

Default Grub problem upon installation

Hi!

I'm somewhat new to Linux and I have a problem with my installation into Suse 11.1.

I have installed from the Live-CD but when it's time to respawn to finish the installation the system halts on the Grub prompt when it have rebooted.

I've installed Suse on one SATA drive that contained windows XP, that I erased in favor for Suse. No more commercialized virus for me.

Anyone that has a solution to my problem?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Grub problem upon installation

Quote Originally Posted by artagard View Post
    Hi!

I'm somewhat new to Linux and I have a problem with my installation into Suse 11.1.

I have installed from the Live-CD but when it's time to respawn to finish the installation the system halts on the Grub prompt when it have rebooted.

I've installed Suse on one SATA drive that contained windows XP, that I erased in favor for Suse. No more commercialized virus for me.

Anyone that has a solution to my problem?
    You might have to boot from the super grub disk to see if it can carry on.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Don't know what the problem is, while using SGD, it's like there is no hard-drive or the Grub isen't installed properly. Either way, there's alot of files missing that makes it impossible to do anything by using the SGD.

Solution?

Blog Entries

Sounds like possibly losing the address of the sta drive during the install.

Is this an external usb drive or an internal?
    How many internal drives are there and is this the primary one?
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE

It's one Internal drive and it's set to auto on primary.

All are set on auto...

Blog Entries

So if there's only one physical drive in the computer, it can't get confused.

Now I'm flummoxed and I would check the integrity of thew installation CD and if that checks out I would reinstall to see if the problem was temporary indigestion, or worse.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE

Checked the BIOS and ran down the list of primary masters and slaves. None seems to have any info about a hard-drive. That is, none of them knows how big my hard drive is by their info.

I've got an old IDE 8GB drive inside the case unplugged that I have used as an "rescue-drive", booting Win-98 when Win-XP fails in the main drive during reinstallation. This in order to get hold on Fdisk to format the maindrive.

This drive, as I said, isn't plugged in at all, just sits inside the case. If this old drive can hold the answer to an successful installation of SUSE i could plug it in.

Really would like to have a successful installation as by running with the Live-CD have begun to really love SUSE. Yes, i know that it is reeeeaaaallllyyy slow by running with the Live-CD.

By the way... Can I test the connection with my main drive from the Live-CD somehow and/or repair the connection to it?

Reinstall suse and choose to install the grub on MBR. Do not install grub on a separate partition. Then come back with feedback.

Blog Entries

Yes, try once more
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE

If after trying post 8,9 and still does not work.
    Either way, there's alot of files missing that makes it impossible to do anything by using the SGD.
    explain more.

Is the Sata hdd connected to the motherboard or an add in card ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast