Grub problem upon installation

Hi!

I’m somewhat new to Linux and I have a problem with my installation into Suse 11.1.

I have installed from the Live-CD but when it’s time to respawn to finish the installation the system halts on the Grub prompt when it have rebooted.

I’ve installed Suse on one SATA drive that contained windows XP, that I erased in favor for Suse. No more commercialized virus for me.:wink:

Anyone that has a solution to my problem?

You might have to boot from the super grub disk to see if it can carry on.

Don’t know what the problem is, while using SGD, it’s like there is no hard-drive or the Grub isen’t installed properly. Either way, there’s alot of files missing that makes it impossible to do anything by using the SGD.

Solution?

Sounds like possibly losing the address of the sta drive during the install.

Is this an external usb drive or an internal?
How many internal drives are there and is this the primary one?

It’s one Internal drive and it’s set to auto on primary.

All are set on auto…

So if there’s only one physical drive in the computer, it can’t get confused.

Now I’m flummoxed and I would check the integrity of thew installation CD and if that checks out I would reinstall to see if the problem was temporary indigestion, or worse.

Checked the BIOS and ran down the list of primary masters and slaves. None seems to have any info about a hard-drive. That is, none of them knows how big my hard drive is by their info.

I’ve got an old IDE 8GB drive inside the case unplugged that I have used as an “rescue-drive”, booting Win-98 when Win-XP fails in the main drive during reinstallation. This in order to get hold on Fdisk to format the maindrive.

This drive, as I said, isn’t plugged in at all, just sits inside the case. If this old drive can hold the answer to an successful installation of SUSE i could plug it in.

Really would like to have a successful installation as by running with the Live-CD have begun to really love SUSE. Yes, i know that it is reeeeaaaallllyyy slow by running with the Live-CD.

By the way… Can I test the connection with my main drive from the Live-CD somehow and/or repair the connection to it?

Reinstall suse and choose to install the grub on MBR. Do not install grub on a separate partition. Then come back with feedback.

Yes, try once more

If after trying post 8,9 and still does not work.

Either way, there’s alot of files missing that makes it impossible to do anything by using the SGD.
explain more.

Is the Sata hdd connected to the motherboard or an add in card ?

Can’t find the option to choose where to install the Grub. I’m using the Live-CD to install from. Do I need the “istallation-CD”
to do that?

By the way, I found a little about my hard drive when snooping around in yast during the partitioning part… If it’s to any help…?

Device:
Device: /dev/sda
Size: 298.09 GB
Device Path: pci-0000:02:00.0-scsi-0:0:0:0
Device ID 1: ata-SAMSUNG_HD321KJ_S0MQJ1KP608794
Device ID 2: scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HD321KJS0MQJ1KP608794
Used By:
Hard Disk:
Vendor: SAMSUNG
Model: HD321KJ
Number of Cylinders: 38913
Cylinder Size: 7.84 MB
Bus: IDE
BIOS ID: 0x80
Disk Label: MSDOS

It’s connected directly to the motherboard.

After a another try at installing I noticed the following…

Device ID 1: ata-SAMSUNG_HD321KJ_S0MQJ1KP608794
Device ID 2: scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HD321KJS0MQJ1KP608794

Is that normal for only having a single drive (plugged in)?

Found the install options for Grub, diden’t work.

No it’s not. Might have something to do with the age of the bios, seeing the same disk two ways, once as scsi and once as pata. How old is the computer?

So it’s just possible that could cause it to lose the address of the sata drive during install.

Here’s a boot entry from my computer, from the file menu.lst located in directory /boot/grub:

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title openSUSE 11.1
    root (hd0,4)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD5000BEVT-60ZAT1_WD-WXN509S27952-part5 ` resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD5000BEVT-60ZAT1_WD-WXN509S27952-part6 splash=silent showopts
    initrd /boot/initrd

Look at this bit:

root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD5000BEVT-60ZAT1_WD-WXN509S27952-part5

To unconfuse your computer you need to replace your version of that with this alternate form:

root=/dev/sda5

In this one I gat the “5” from a clue contained in “part5”. But yours will not be 5, we need to discover what it is for you.

So I suggest that you boot off the live CD (rather than reinstalling – just boot fully).

1. then open a console window and enter this command: su (to become root user).
  2. then this command: grub
  3. then this command:find /boot/grub/menu.lst
  4. you’ll get something like this, maybe: (hd0,4)

So what do you get?

Mine is (hd0,0), did know that, but ran it again incase if it have changed.

OK. The partition in question is sda1.
Linux speak = sda1. Grub speak = (hd0,0). Same partition.
So boot into your live cd. Open a terminal /console window and do these:

• enter su to become root
  • make a directory and call it “sda1” with this: mkdir /mnt/sda1
  • mount the partition sda1 in the directory sda1 with this: mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1

now you open the grub menu in an editor with one of these commands, depending which live CD you’re using:

• if Gnome live cd enter this: gedit /mnt/sda1/boot/grub/menu.lst
  • if KDE live cd enter this: kwrite /mnt/sda1/boot/grub/menu.lst

The file menu.lst will open. Locate the first entry beginning with this line:

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
and in that entry there is a line commencing with the word “kernel” and in that line a string like this
root=/dev/disk/by-id/etc_etc_etc-part1
. Change that string to this:/dev/sda1
In the same line is a string like this
resume=/dev/disk/by-id/etc_etc_etc-partY

Change that strin to this:

resume=/dev/sdaY
Y will be an integer, substitute for my Y whatever integer you see when you get there.

There is one rider to all of this: if you’re using KDE live CD, remember that KDE is under development and breaks down regularly. KDE is still having trouble with superuser text editors so the command for kwrite in dot point number 5 might not work. KDE is still very frustrating. Let me know if that happens to you.

Yeah, I’m using the KDE Live-CD. And I can’t read the content of the menu.lst file.

Do you recommend for one as me that has limited knowledge to use Gnome instead?

By the, after I have reinstalled to get rid of windows it have been a change, (hd0,0) is now (hd0,1).

So I used sda2 instead… Correct?

You can use the Gnome live CD to edit the KDE installation; in the Gnome live CD you can use gedit. You can use Knoppix, Systemrescue CD, Ubuntu live, mandriva etc, just not openSUSE KDE live it seems.

Do you recommend for one as me that has limited knowledge to use Gnome instead?
Definitely – stable as a rock.

By the, after I have reinstalled to get rid of windows it have been a change, (hd0,0) is now (hd0,1).

So I used sda2 instead… Correct?
Yep

Downloaded the Gnome version, installed it and did the adjustments above that you gave me. Still no result…

Thinking if I hook up my dorment drive, can that drive host the ‘/’ partition with Grub, and have swap and /home on my main drive.

Can this solve the boot problem that I have, or will it only make so that I can’t connect to the swap and /home partitions? Boot on the small(8GB)/ old drive. Too small for ‘/’?

You can put /boot on that ide pata drive, should be OK to work with it, but not root (/).

BTW how old is the computer?