Thread: upgrade mysql problem

netslt NNTP User

Exclamation upgrade mysql problem

hi

i have a server running suse 10.2

mysql 5.0.26 was running on this server, and i have upgraded mysql and mysql-client to 5.0.45 using the suse 10.3 packages.

now this server acts as a mysql master for a mysql slave server (running suse 11.2)

the slave server still sees mysql 5.0.26 on the master!

how do i fix that?

this is what is installed on the master / 10.2 system:

mysql-shared-5.0.26-16
    mysql-5.0.45-22
    perl-DBD-mysql-3.0008-12
    php5-mysql-5.2.6-0.2
    mysql-client-5.0.45-22

when i query the version on the master/10.2 server I get the correct version:

mysql> select version();
    +------------+
    | version() |
    +------------+
    | 5.0.45-log |
    +------------+
    1 row in set (0.00 sec)

but as i said the slave does get the old version from the master - how do i fix this?

thanks!

Default Re: upgrade mysql problem

did you reboot the mysql server? rcmysql restart

netslt NNTP User

Yes, I did restart it.

No change.

Problem is that the old version of mysql I had installed has a bug that stops the slave - thats why I did the upgrade. The slave does not recognize that the master has been updated (I have also restarted the slave of course) - I always geht the following error on the slave. I wonder how the slave gets the version from the master (what command?)

Here the error on the slave:

090928 13:53:41 [ERROR] Slave: Error 'master may suffer from MySQL Bugs: #24432: INSERT... ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE skips auto_increment values so slave stops; check error log on slave
    for more info' on query. Default database: 'bla'. Query: 'INSERT INTO bla_table (businessid,chainid,hspid,sitename,thedate,yr
    ,mth,dy,usercount) VALUES (38194,0,50,"blabla","2009-09-14",2009,9,14,1) ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE usercount=usercount+1', Error_code:
    090928 13:53:41 [ERROR] Error running query, slave SQL thread aborted. Fix the problem, and restart the slave SQL thread with "SLAVE START".
    We stopped at log 'mysql-bin.000001' position 4504317

This error should not occur with the upgraded mysql version - so I wonder what is going on...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by netslt View Post
    i have a server running suse 10.2
    First bad idea.

SUSE Linux Lifetime - openSUSE

Quote Originally Posted by netslt View Post
    mysql 5.0.26 was running on this server, and i have upgraded mysql and mysql-client to 5.0.45 using the suse 10.3 packages.
    Second bad idea, those versions are there for a reason.

netslt NNTP User

I know that 10.2's life has ended.

Upgrading (without new install) that server to 11.2 seems a bit risky - or do you think that this should be painless?

I think it would be better to have that mysql master/slave thing up and running - just in case I break the master server with the system upgrade...

Thanks

I had a similar problem. Slave running 10.2 and replicating from a master running 11.1. On openSUSE 11.1 they use MySQL 5.0.67. MySQL AB recommends to use the same version on master and slave to stay on the safe side. For this reason I upgraded mysql on the slave to 5.0.67 as well, but not from any repo. Instead I compiled from source. This works well for me.
    Technology is 'stuff that doesn't work yet.' -- Bran Ferren