Thread: WiFi challenge runing Suse 11.1 KDE i64

Default WiFi challenge runing Suse 11.1 KDE i64

I guess this belongs in the laptop section and the 64bit section.

Please forgive the multiple post.

I am having a connection issue with OpenSuse 11.1 KDE i64 on my i64 Panasonic Toughbook.
    It connects great at home, it sees and connects to my Apple Airport and even the neighbor's Netgear open base across the street. HOWEVER! No matter what I install (Fedora, Kubuntu, Open SUSE, Saboyan, and whatever it will NOT connect to outside WiFi networks Like AT&T, at Starbucks, McDonalds or at any hotel or public WiFi AS LONG AS I RUN A 64 BIT VERSION.

When I install the 32 bit version we have connection, with BOTH Network Manager or Wicd. Install a 64 bit version and we are dead in the water. (NO CONNECTION!) Can't get IP address even after it sees the connections!!

Obviously it has to be some type of driver issue for the Intel chipset??. (Wicd it tells me: "failed to get IP Address")

I have been a SuSE Linux user since version 7, I want to stick with it, its GREAT! But this issue has be trying other distros, now I have to carry a MacBook and I have developed an inferiority complex.

Please help. What can I do?

I recently installed the Wicd version (1.6.1.1) at the Open Suse Linux Build site. I was running version 1.6.2.2 before and had the same results.

About my laptop:

Panasonic Toughbook CF-52

Running Open Suse 11.1 with a PRO/Wireless 4965AG or AGN (Kendron) Network ConnectionDHCP
    Linux 2.6.27.29-0.1-default x86_64
    openSUSE 11.1 (x86_64)
    KDE:4.1.3 (KDE 4.1.3) "release 4.10.4"

Processor (CPU): Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7100 @ 1.80GHzSpeed:800.00 MhzCores:2

Total memory (RAM):3.9 GB
    Free memory:2.8 GB (+ 451.9 MB Caches)Free swap:3.0 GB

I don't care what I have to install (Network Manager or Wicd) as long as it works!

Thanks,

Your input will be greatly appreciated!

Riberto
    Panasonic Toughbook CF-52 - Intel(R) Duo Core CPU P8400 - 4 Gig Mem 250GB Drive - openSUSE 11.4 (x86_64) - KDE

Blog Entries

Default Re: WiFi challenge runing Suse 11.1 KDE i64

This is how I get it working:

Yast - Network Devices - Networksettings
    Disable ipV6
    Set to use ifup instead of Networkmanager
    reboot
    Use WICD to connect.

On systems and laptops I've tried to fix WiFi this has worked so far.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Default Re: WiFi challenge runing Suse 11.1 KDE i64

Thanks so much for your reply!

There was something with the PRO/Wireless 4965 AG and the 64 bit software.
    It would connect at home, provided I was within 9 feet of my base.
    Yes, I could see other access points but NO CIGAR!
    This happened with BOTH Network Manager and Wicd regardless of the i64 distro I would use.
    It was simply beyond my current capabilities to keep looking for the solution AND I needed to use this Laptop on the road.

SO I did a clean install of the latest Suse 11.2 release and BINGO!
    YES, I realize it still in the testing stage and I have found a couple of MINOR things not working as they should!
    BUT I use this Laptop for video presentations, word processing, spreadsheets, e-mail and web browsing and it does that GREAT!
    This version of Network Manager works GREAT! I pick-up and sometimes connect to points half way down the street. I know use access points from my car, while parked out in the parking lot of McDonalds, Starbucks and others.

My hat is off to the Open Source Community.
    You have my vote and my support.

Thanks,

Rr
    Panasonic Toughbook CF-52 - Intel(R) Duo Core CPU P8400 - 4 Gig Mem 250GB Drive - openSUSE 11.4 (x86_64) - KDE