Thread: zypper vs Gui (Yast)

Default zypper vs Gui (Yast)

Hi peoples

quick question....
    I dunno whether this is a coincidence or what.... but alot of the time, when using yast/or 1 click installer to install packages, I sometimes get alot of dependency errors....

for example today i reinstalled opensuse dvd, and tried the 1 click install multimedia codecs, and i got tons of errors, but then I tried it in the konsole using zypper, and I didn't get any errors... it just installed what i needed no ifs or buts....

my question is.... why the heck do these dependency problems happen using a gui, but it doesn't happen in the konsole.... zypper seems to be more reliable..... dunno why though....

does this happen to any of you?

thanx

Blog Entries

Default Re: zypper vs Gui (Yast)

Quote Originally Posted by kaddy View Post
    for example today i reinstalled opensuse dvd, and tried the 1 click install multimedia codecs, and i got tons of errors, but then I tried it in the konsole using zypper, and I didn't get any errors... it just installed what i needed no ifs or buts....

my question is.... why the heck do these dependency problems happen using a gui, but it doesn't happen in the konsole.... zypper seems to be more reliable..... dunno why though....

I never use the 1 click install myself, but my understanding is embedded in the one click install is the addition of extra repositories associated with the 1 click (where these repositories can be optionally removed at the end of the 1 click install process). Hence that means that there are different repositories associated when doing the 1 click install, as opposed to using zypper.

Different repositories can mean dependency's are resolved differently, and with different repositories dependency conflicts can arise.

This may be another related reason why I always recommend ONLY the OSS, Non-OSS, Update and Packman repositories be left enabled in one's software package manager and no others. None. Just those 4.

Default Re: zypper vs Gui (Yast)

Quote Originally Posted by kaddy View Post
    No, not to me.

P.S. Why is this thread located in "Network/Internet"?