Thread: how to find and save updated packages

amaninsa NNTP User

Default how to find and save updated packages

hi friends,
    after installing new packages and softwares with the help of yast in opensuse11.1 how can i save those downloaded packages so that i will not have to download same packages again for another system(or if i needed them in future).Is it possible to save downloaded packages(through yast repos)and write them to cd.

Default Re: how to find and save updated packages

Change your /etc/zypp/zypp.conf accordingly.

//Edit:

Belay that, you will have to edit the respective "repo"-files in /etc/zypp/repos.d/ if packages are kept or not on a repo by repo basis, though the places where you will _find_ those kept packages can be defined in zypp.conf, so having a look at that file makes sense, too.

amaninsa NNTP User

Quote Originally Posted by Akoellh View Post
    Change your /etc/zypp/zypp.conf accordingly.

//Edit:

Belay that, you will have to edit the respective "repo"-files in /etc/zypp/repos.d/ if packages are kept or not on a repo by repo basis, though the places where you will _find_ those kept packages can be defined in zypp.conf, so having a look at that file makes sense, too.
    so if i want to save vlc rpm from Index of /pub/vlc/SuSE/11.1/ then what i should do so that i dont have to download ot again n again for other systems
    second, is it depends upon reositories to let us save packgs

Use zypper for your installing/updating of packages (I'm not sure about YaST for this purpose as I've been using zypper exclusively).

Have a look here, Zypper Usage.

Also, from the command-line, type 'man zypper', 'zypper help', and 'zypper help modifyrepo' to explore more.

Basically you want to enable the caching of rpm's with 'zypper modifyrepo --keep-packages'. Whenever you install/upgrade a package you can get it from the following directory "/var/cache/zypp/packages/*".... Any packages you find there will belong to root, so you might have to 'chown <user>:<group> <files>', substituting user for your username and group for your group and files are the files you want to change the owner of....

The only other hitch I've experienced was that some packages downloaded were delta rpm's. To avoid this you need to edit the file "/etc/zypp/zypp.conf". Scroll to the line containing "download.use_deltarpm" and set the value to "false". Also make sure to uncomment that line (make sure it doesn't begin with any "#").

Note that from this point on any package you install/upgrade with zypper will be located in the cache directory (/var/cache/zypp/packages/*). Depending on what you're doing and how much space you have on your root partition... you have to watch how much space you have. To clean the cache (after fetching the rpm's you want) type 'zypper clean'.

That's my experience with being able to save any packages....
    openSUSE 11.3 with KDE 4.4.4