Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Single point cdrom mount?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    20

    Cool Single point cdrom mount?

    Hi!

    I can see, that openSUSE mounts cdroms (at /media) according to cd label (eg. /media/data_dvd_x).
    My problem is, that several applications (eg. a cd cataloguer) expecting to find the cd at /media/cdrom0, or something similar.
    Is it possible to fix it? (Tell openSUSE to mount cds at a single point)?


    THANKS!!!


  2. #2
    Camaleón NNTP User

    Default Re: Single point cdrom mount?

    Elf Wizard wrote:

    Dunno why I see your message in capital letters :-?

    > I CAN SEE, THAT OPENSUSE MOUNTS CDROMS (AT /MEDIA) ACCORDING TO CD
    > LABEL (EG. /MEDIA/DATA_DVD_X).
    > MY PROBLEM IS, THAT SEVERAL APPLICATIONS (EG. A CD CATALOGUER)
    > EXPECTING TO FIND THE CD AT /MEDIA/CDROM0, OR SOMETHING SIMILAR.
    > IS IT POSSIBLE TO FIX IT? (TELL OPENSUSE TO MOUNT CDS AT A SINGLE
    > POINT)? :CONFUSED:


    I can see 2 different approaches to this:

    1) Configuring your apps (i.e. cd cataloguer) to point the right media path
    2) Setting up a static mount point for cd media devices

    I'd say the first option is the best way as nowadays any kind of devices
    tend to follow that same rule of "dynamic mount points", even hard disks
    are mounted by "label" o by "ID".

    Anyway, there is a wiki article to get the second path. It's a bit outdated,
    so not sure if is still valid for newer versions:

    SDB:Mounting to Static Mount Points
    http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Mounting_...c_Mount_Points

    Greetings,

    --
    Camaleón

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    20

    Unhappy Re: Single point cdrom mount?

    THANKS Camaleón for your help!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Camaleón View Post
    Elf Wizard wrote:

    Dunno why I see your message in capital letters :-?

    Strange!

    I don't know! It appears normally lowercased here!
    Quote Originally Posted by Camaleón View Post
    I can see 2 different approaches to this:
    1) Configuring your apps (i.e. cd cataloguer) to point the right media path
    Sigh!
    I didn't found any active developing catalogers with such an option.
    I'll try again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Camaleón View Post
    2) Setting up a static mount point for cd media devices

    I'd say the first option is the best way as nowadays any kind of devices
    tend to follow that same rule of "dynamic mount points", even hard disks
    are mounted by "label" o by "ID".

    Anyway, there is a wiki article to get the second path. It's a bit outdated,
    so not sure if is still valid for newer versions:

    SDB:Mounting to Static Mount Points
    SDB:Mounting to Static Mount Points - openSUSE

    Greetings,

    --
    Camaleón
    I tried (with cdrom, cdrom0, scd and scd0) but didn't worked!
    Either it doesn't apply to v.11.1 or I messed something.

    Here is my mountpoints.fdi:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
    <deviceinfo version="0.2">
    <device>
    <!-- optical drives -->
    <match key="block.device" string="/dev/cdrom">
    <match key="volume.is_disc" bool="true">
    <merge key="volume.policy.should_mount" type="bool">true</merge>
    <merge key="volume.policy.desired_mount_point" type="string">cdrom</merge>
    </match>
    </match>
    </device>
    </deviceinfo>

    THANKS again
    Camaleón for your help!!!


  4. #4

    Default Re: Single point cdrom mount?

    Quote Originally Posted by Elf_Wizard View Post

    Strange!

    I don't know! It appears normally lowercased here!
    Perhaps because you wrote your first post in some "fancy" non-standard font instead of using
    the forum's default stuff and the NNTP-reader reformatted it to upper case.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    20

    Red face Re: Single point cdrom mount?

    Quote Originally Posted by Akoellh View Post
    Perhaps because you wrote your first post in some "fancy" non-standard font instead of using
    the forum's default stuff and the NNTP-reader reformatted it to upper case.
    Ooops! My fault!
    SORRY!!!


  6. #6

    Default Re: Single point cdrom mount?

    Code:
    su -c "mkdir /media/cdrom0"
    and add

    Code:
    /dev/cdrom     /media/cdrom0   auto    noauto,user,ro,unhide  0 0
    to your /etc/fstab.

    This is

    a) not very elegant

    b) not recommended (if it causes trouble with autmount, don't blame me)

    but it will probably work (at least it does here™ with mount and pmount, I don't use the KDE-automounter).

  7. #7
    Camaleón NNTP User

    Default Re: Single point cdrom mount?

    Elf Wizard wrote:

    > *
    > Strange!*
    > I don't know! It appears normally lowercased here!


    No problem :-P

    I am using nntp newsreader, your message reads ok in the web forums page.

    > I didn't found any active developing catalogers with such an option.
    > I'll try again!


    Oh, well... it should be configurable, in a way or another :-?

    > I tried (with cdrom, cdrom0, scd and scd0) but didn't worked!
    > Either it doesn't apply to v.11.1 or I messed something.
    >
    > Here is my mountpoints.fdi:


    >> <match key="block.device" string="/dev/cdrom">


    Mmm, not sure, but I guess that should read "/dev/sr0" which is the original
    path to the dvd media. Look (I'm on opensuse 10.3):

    ***
    stthpc:~ # cat /var/log/boot.msg | grep sr0
    <4>sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 48x/48x writer dvd-ram cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
    <7>sr 5:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
    ***

    And then you have to restart hal ("rchal restart"). Not sure if this still
    is valid for 11.1, though :-?

    Greetings,

    --
    Camaleón

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    20

    Thumbs up Re: Single point cdrom mount?

    Quote Originally Posted by Camaleón View Post

    >> <match key="block.device" string="/dev/cdrom">


    Mmm, not sure, but I guess that should read "/dev/sr0" which is the original
    path to the dvd media. Look (I'm on opensuse 10.3):

    ***
    stthpc:~ # cat /var/log/boot.msg | grep sr0
    <4>sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 48x/48x writer dvd-ram cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
    <7>sr 5:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
    ***

    And then you have to restart hal ("rchal restart"). Not sure if this still
    is valid for 11.1, though :-?

    Greetings,

    --
    Camaleón
    Indeed!!! That solved the problem!!!
    Code:
    giorgos@linux-mrz5:~> cat /var/log/boot.msg | grep sr0
    <4>sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 48x/48x writer dvd-ram cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
    <7>sr 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
    It was my fault! Seems like I'm not yet, really familiar with linux syntax!
    The wiki page is still valid for v11.1.

    MANY MANY THANKS Camaleón and Akoellh for your help!!!


  9. #9

    Default Re: Single point cdrom mount?

    Hi,

    I'm running openSUSE 10.2. I've tried to mount my CDROM to a static moint point, using the wiki page SDB:Mounting to Static Mount Points - openSUSE. I've had no success thus far. I followed every step very carefully.

    cat /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/95-static-mount.fdi outputs:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
    <deviceinfo version="0.2">
    <device>
    <!-- optical drives -->
    <match key="block.device" string="/dev/sr1">
    <match key="volume.is_disc" bool="true">
    <merge key="volume.policy.should_mount" type="bool">true</merge>
    <merge key="volume.policy.desired_mount_point" type="string">cd</merge>
    </match>
    </match>
    </device>
    </deviceinfo>

    I have 2 optical drives: sr0 and sr1, and want sr1 to be mounted to a static point.

    ls /media/cd ouputs non existing directory.

    Can someone help me out? I'm really stuck. Thanks in advance!

  10. #10

    Default Re: Single point cdrom mount?

    Sorry, make that openSUSE 11.2! Not 10.2.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •