Thread: Installation of Suse on MS Virtual PC 2008

mgbinnewhaw NNTP User

Default Installation of Suse on MS Virtual PC 2008

Hello folks,
    I am having trouble installing OpenSuse and Ubuntu on an MS VPC. Windows XP installed successfully on the VPC but both Linux installations failed at the same point - immediately after the installation selection screens. Ubuntu locks up and OpenSuse displays a black screen and locks up. I read somewhere (don't remember where) that I may need to try VMware, but the cost is prohibitive (in IMHO).

Therefore, I turn to the freeware community for help. Has anybody encountered this problem or can anybody suggest a (freeware) solution, please?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Installation of Suse on MS Virtual PC 2008

Use Virtual Box:
    VirtualBox
    It rocks!
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

platinum NNTP User

i just can't figure out why would anyone would take a perfectly good
    computer and install Windows on it and THEN wanna load Linux
    inside...it's kinda like buying last century's bloated dump truck to
    carry your space ship..

--
    platinum

mgbinnewhaw NNTP User

Thumbs up Re: Installation of Suse on MS Virtual PC 2008

caf4926:
    Thank you very much for a near perfect reply - short, precise, and to the point!!

platinum
    this reply is the sort of garbage that clutters up the internet - commonly known as spam - completely useless, ill-considered, mouth-opened-before-brain-is-engaged, ****!!

I have a perfectly sound reason for my "buying last century's bloated dump truck to carry my space ship.." - WHY I choose to do so would have been the intelligent point to make.

Blog Entries

@mgbinnewhaw
    I introduced a friend to Virtual Box last year, he was running it in XP and openSUSE in a VM.
    A year later and he's totally openSUSE.

You should get along well with Virtual Box and the manual can be helpful too. I always recommend creating a fixed drive rather than dynamic. So whatever you can afford.

It's also a great way to learn about installation of Linux and windows too if you like. And because it's all in a VM, if it all goes pear shaped it doesn't matter.

I have run many a test case in Virtual Box dual booting windows and Linux. In fact this guide I did was all done in Virtual Box:
    All About Grub - openSUSE
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mgbinnewhaw View Post
    I read somewhere (don't remember where) that I may need to try VMware, but the cost is prohibitive (in IMHO).
    VMware have a free version: VMware Server. Don't be put off by the word "Server". You can use VMware Server just like VMware Workstation -- to run guest operating systems inside Linux or Windows hosts.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

mgbinnewhaw NNTP User

Smile Re: Installation of Suse on MS Virtual PC 2008

caf496
    Thanks again for your interest and encouragement. I already feel like your friend who is now a Linux fan. In the early 80s I worked exclusively with UNIX-based machines (DEC VMS, ICL VME, SUN SPARK and APOLLO workstations). Unfortunately, about this time Windoze crushed the opposition (Unix) and, like many others, I became submerged by the mass of Windoze uptake. A few years ago I tried Suse Linux, but appropriate support was not available (such as this excellent forum). Now I am retired, I have the time to re-acquaint myself with Unix and boot Windoze off my PC for good and all.

I also like the idea that a VM can be thrown away if something goes wrong! I use Sandboxie for that very reason when surfing unknown web sites.

I've had a quick look at your All About Grub - openSUSE guide and, no surprise! - I am impressed. If you don't mind, I'll give you my view, as a technical author of some 25 yrs. experience, of the clarity of your text!!- developers are usually not the best of teachers!!! even though they are (nearly) always more than ready to help we lesser mortals.

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 18:46:01 +0000, mgbinnewhaw wrote:

> this reply is the sort of garbage that clutters up the internet -
    > commonly

Guys, keep it civil please. Thank you.

Jim

--
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Moderator

mgbinnewhaw NNTP User

fswerdna
    Thank you for a really useul tip! I was put off by the server tag!

Hendersj
    My apologies. In my professional career I became used to constructive criticism and so suffer fools badly - especially in view of the excellent replies I received from your fellow moderators!!