Appropiate remote desktop / desktop sharing method needed

Dear All,

I am looking for the proper way to login to my Linux box remotely, and run applications. I went through the corresponding guides, but I am still not sure which way I should use. My requirements are the following:

*I need to run applications with GUI and graphics, so not shell only.
*I would like to login to see and check already started applications, continue the work with them. These applications may have been started locally, and I would continue the work with them remotely.
*If I close the remote connection, or it gets disconnected by internet connection issues, the applications on my machine should continue running.
*Beside the remote connection, I also want to work with the same running applications locally.

Practically, from the work I would like to login to my home machine, do some work on it, and continue it, when I am at home.

Is there a way to achieve this, and how ? Could someone provide me detailed steps, as I have absolute no experience in this.
In the work, I have windows machines, so could Xming be the only choice ?

thx

Hi motamas

Welcome to the forum. I must confess that I know almost nothing about Windows and it’s applications. But these are my thoughts seeing your questions:

1. You can do your step 1 easily between 2 Linux hosts. From a console in the graphical screen do
xhost +
ssh -X -l username otherhost.domain.tld
  1. Connecting from Windows to Linux with ssh is possible using PuTTY but this gives no GUI, just the ascii-screen. You would need an X11 emulation for a graphical screen.

2. I can see no way to regain control over a running application at the other end. You will have to save your work and restart locally.

Try rdp and vnc

Windows Linux RDP Remote Desktop Connections using openSUSE as Client or Server (terminal server)

TightVNC (VNC Xvnc) on openSUSE as Client or Server (Remote Desktop Connections)

I think at the moment, rdp works better than vnc in openSUSE when I access a Linux machine from openSUSE.
And rdp seems to be better for accessing windows machines from openSUSE too.
I can leave apps running on a windows box and get them back again using vnc – can’t remember for rdp, don’t see why not.

Don’t think the ‘xhost +’ is needed. Never use it, use ssh all the time.

I think some of you are missing the point; this person wants to work with his Linux desktop remotely, like you can with Windoze using either RDP or VNC or NetMeeting. I have done this in the past using krfb (found under System/Remote Access), which is essentially VNC.

If I recall, this uses VNC protocols, so you should be able to use VNC from a Windoze box to control the Linux box if needed. From another SuSE box it works well. There’s just some setup needed from the host side (the box that will be controlled remotely) prior to using, just as there is with normal VNC. You will need to check your firewall settings on the host side to allow external connections. This does not involve using xhost + or ssh.

I think this should fit your needs pretty well. You will be able to work with your host box, go to another location, and resume working with your host desktop as though you were still on that box. Since you are controlling the desktop remotely, if you lose your connection or close the connection, any programs you have running will continue to run as the host box is still controlling them. You can go to another location and pick it up again, or go back to the host box and continue.

motamas wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am looking for the proper way to login to my Linux box remotely, and
> run applications. I went through the corresponding guides, but I am
> still not sure which way I should use. My requirements are the
> following:
>
> *I need to run applications with GUI and graphics, so not shell only.
> *I would like to login to see and check already started applications,
> continue the work with them. These applications may have been started
> locally, and I would continue the work with them remotely.
> *If I close the remote connection, or it gets disconnected by internet
> connection issues, the applications on my machine should continue
> running.
> *Beside the remote connection, I also want to work with the same
> running applications locally.

FreeNX (NoMachine NX)

>
> Practically, from the work I would like to login to my home machine, do
> some work on it, and continue it, when I am at home.

I do this all of the time.

>
> Is there a way to achieve this, and how ? Could someone provide me
> detailed steps, as I have absolute no experience in this.
> In the work, I have windows machines, so could Xming be the only choice
> ?

Until the latest version of rdp, it was actually faster to
NX into a remote host and rdp from there.