Thread: Nvidia driver killed my install on opensuse 11.1

Default Nvidia driver killed my install on opensuse 11.1

I just installed opensuse 11.1 on an acer 4530 laptop. Everything was fine until I updated to the new nvidia 64-bit driver from the nvidia site. Now it boots into a gray and white checkerboard desktop where I can't do anything. The cursor still works but can't do much else. This is a tripleboot system so I would prefer not to reinstall. Anyone encounter the same problem and have any remedies?

Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: Nvidia driver killed my install on opensuse 11.1

Quote Originally Posted by blade2 View Post
    I just installed opensuse 11.1 on an acer 4530 laptop. Everything was fine until I updated to the new nvidia 64-bit driver from the nvidia site. Now it boots into a gray and white checkerboard desktop where I can't do anything. The cursor still works but can't do much else. This is a tripleboot system so I would prefer not to reinstall. Anyone encounter the same problem and have any remedies?
    There probably are remedies, but more information is needed.

Not everyone has an acer 4530, so the odds are very few know what nvidia graphics hardware that laptop has. Why not tell us?

What method did you employ to install the 64-bit driver from nVidia? There is more than one method. Take a look here: NVIDIA - openSUSE In my case, I always install via the "hardway" which is NOT hard: NVIDIA/The hard way - openSUSE

As an interim, until you can get the nvidia driver working, did you try running sax2 in run level 3, using the openGL driver (nv) or the vesa driver (vesa). Or do you know what that means?

The graphics card is a GeForce 9100M G Turbocache. The nvidia driver I installed was called:

NVIDIA-Linux-x86-g4-185.18.36.pkg2.run

To install it I went into init 3 and typed sh and the above line.

However I have an ubuntu boot loader and can no longer go into init 3 with opensuse. I've tried typing "3" during the boot process but that doesn't work.

I will probably just go ahead and reinstall, but I'll have to try with a different driver.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blade2 View Post
    The graphics card is a GeForce 9100M G Turbocache. The nvidia driver I installed was called:

NVIDIA-Linux-x86-g4-185.18.36.pkg2.run

To install it I went into init 3 and typed sh and the above line.

However I have an ubuntu boot loader and can no longer go into init 3 with opensuse. I've tried typing "3" during the boot process but that doesn't work.

I will probably just go ahead and reinstall, but I'll have to try with a different driver.
    What options does the ubuntu boot loader give you for openSUSE boot? When you try to boot openSUSE what happens? A black screen? Did you try <ctrl><Alt><backspace> at that point to see if that takes you to a login in prompt? How about <ctrl><alt><F2> ?