Thread: Choosing processor

Default Choosing processor

I have to choose between these two processors AMD ATHLON 64 1640 2.6 GHZ AM2 or INTEL CELERON DC 2.2 GHZ E1500 , the processor will be used in a machine that has poor ventilation and will be powered on between 5 to 8 hours, the pc will be playing videos and music all the time, at least 150 Gb of multimedia files, which one will have the best performance with 1 gb of RAM?

Default Re: Choosing processor

Celerons are notoriously known for their slow performance so I guess go with the Athlon 64

I am a huge fan of AMD and I am currently using an AMD Athlon x2 dual core 64bit 4400+ Processor. I have been using them for sometime now and I have had no problems or complaints. Runs great.

I have my computer running 24/7 and my old computer with an AMD Athlon 2800+ is my gateway/server and is always running without a reboot.

IMO:I don't use Intel anymore, I am not that crazy about them. But if I was to use one of their processors I would not use a Celeron at all.

Why poor ventilation? If it is poor can't you throw another fan on it?
    Once you install a modem, the government can look into your computer and watch everything you do! That's why every night before I go to bed, I turn the monitor to the wall.

for what you say your doing it will not matter. the amd might run a little cooler. I'm using an old P4@2.8Ghz (socket 478) with 768Mb of ram and it's fine for music and videos. the single core amd can get the job done and is about $10.00 cheaper.