Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I kick hal in the backside?

Default Re: How do I kick hal in the backside?

Hello FM

Looks like my user is only allowed to dial out!

Code:
    polkit-auth --user fred --show-obtainable
    org.opensuse.smpppd.connect
    I tried that command (while under su) as simply polkit-auth --user fred and got nothing in return!
    HP dv6645, Nvidia 8400m-gs, KDE 4.

WOOHOO!!!! Sussed it

I did a search through Yast2 -> Software for any occurrences of the word policy.

That threw out the PolicyKit package (among other things). Closer examination of the package's file list gave me a clue, it contains the file - /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf.

I edited that file, and the default content (on my server) is only -

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- XML -*- -->

<!DOCTYPE pkconfig PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD PolicyKit Configuration 1.0//EN"
    "http://hal.freedesktop.org/releases/PolicyKit/1.0/config.dtd">

<!-- See the manual page PolicyKit.conf(5) for file format -->

<config version="0.1">
    </config>
    On reading that file, it says to consult the manual, and running man policykit.conf gave me some very useful info and ideas.

So I edited /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf and added the following with my required username (in this example - fred) -

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- XML -*- -->

<!DOCTYPE pkconfig PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD PolicyKit Configuration 1.0//EN"
    "http://hal.freedesktop.org/releases/PolicyKit/1.0/config.dtd">

<!-- See the manual page PolicyKit.conf(5) for file format -->

<config version="0.1">

<match action="org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-fixed">
       <match user="fred">
        <return result="yes"/>
       </match>
      </match>

<match action="org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable">
       <match user="fred">
        <return result="yes"/>
       </match>
      </match>

</config>
    ...saved, restarted hal with /etc/init.d/haldaemon restart and hey presto, as if by magic - it WORKED!

I can now mount my USB stick's FAT partitions simply by clicking on them through dolphin. This also works when I run dolphin remotely through an ssh connection.

My USB hard drive (containing the LUKS partition) still gives me the same error message (when trying to mount it through a remote dolphin, NOT a local one), but I assume that adding another section to /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf especially for encrypted volumes will yield the same (fixed) result. I'll try that next .

This is exactly what I wanted, the root source of overriding HAL's default settings! I can feel the beardos starting to froth at the mouth already for my blasphemy .

Glad you sussed it, I have this way in one distro for shutdown and suspend and use polkit-auth on Suse.

So both seem to achieve the same.

I suspect now they'll show up for the user strange you couldn't run it as user but I suspect it is an overzealous default.

I suspect your other rules will be based around
    org.freedesktop.hal.storage.crypto-setup-fixed
    org.freedesktop.hal.storage.crypto-setup-removable
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

Blog Entries

Nice to see the progress @growbag. That was one of the suggestions outlined in the link I gave you and quoted in post post #7. Although strangely, it did not appear to work for the OP in that situation. I have played with the polkit-auth commands a few times, vut they don't seem to have any affect on my system, hence I didn't bother mentioning them to you either.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Nice to see the progress @growbag. That was one of the suggestions outlined in the link I gave you and quoted in post post #7......
    lol, I must have skipped right over that one! The page format was a bit odd (for me) and I got lost somewhere in the responses! .

It did work exactly the same when I added entries for the encrypted filesystems too.

Thanks for all the help lads .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12