Thread: Upgrading to KDE 4.3

Default Upgrading to KDE 4.3

I just did a clean install of opensuse 11.1. Is there an easy way to upgrade to KDE 4.3?

Default Re: Upgrading to KDE 4.3

Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

i find that impossible to do. I sat for an hour answering package resolution questions that seemed to have no end in sight.

I wonder why it is every distro i have ever played with has a package manager and repo system intelligent to know how to resolve dependency problems, how to remove unused packages, etc.. and opensuse, which has a big ass company behind it and tons of resources, still can't. Freakin hobbyist distros have this down.

Blog Entries

We might be able to minimise this 'conflict' situation if we can see you configured distros first.

zypper lr -d
    Your upgrade experience can depend heavily on what is concurrently enabled.

FWIW, I'm staying with KDE 4.2 (openSUSE 11) until openSUSE 11.2 goes gold.

I would be to hope you read through all of that guide thoroughly. I guess I forgot to add this:

Repository Management - openSUSE Forums

Which tells you how to prioritize your repositories. I think by now once you get those in line Yast will automatically go through the name changes without a hitch. Sorry about forgetting that link as it's only given from the kde 4.2 upgrade link and not on the kde 4.3 upgrade link.

And the only reason I know this is the problem is because you said you did a fresh install, which, by default has the update repository set at 20. THAT in itself causes a lot of conflicts. So read that guide then try again. Once again sorry for forgetting that link.

Take Care,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM