Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Blackberry 8830 USB tethering issue

  1. #1

    Default Blackberry 8830 USB tethering issue

    OS: openSUSE 11.1
    Barry Package: openSUSE build service barry libs 0.14

    The call to pppd call barry-verizon seems to work properly (I can include the output lines if needed). The last few lines are:

    local IP address 97.46.221.182
    remote IP address 66.174.216.64
    primary DNS address 66.174.92.14
    secondary DNS address 69.78.96.14
    Script /etc/ppp/ip-up started (pid 14502)
    Script /etc/ppp/ip-up finished (pid 14502), status = 0x0
    ^CTerminating on signal 2
    select(): Interrupted system call
    Connect time 1.3 minutes.
    Sent 0 bytes, received 0 bytes.
    Script /etc/ppp/ip-down started (pid 14681)
    sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "User request"]
    Script /etc/ppp/ip-down finished (pid 14681), status = 0x0

    The problem is relected in the pppob.log file which regularly adds this line ( I also can include the entire log file if needed):

    IPModem:: Close Read Timeout

    The barry-verizon.chat is:

    ABORT ERROR ''
    +++AT ''
    ATZ OK
    AT&F OK
    ATE0V1 OK
    AT OK
    ATS0=0 OK
    ATDT#777 CONNECT

    The command /sbin/route -n displays:

    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    66.174.217.64 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 ppp0
    127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo

    Can anyone help me get this to work properly please?

    Aloha.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,339
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Blackberry 8830 USB tethering issue

    Quote Originally Posted by thorsonr
    OS: openSUSE 11.1
    Barry Package: openSUSE build service barry libs 0.14

    The call to pppd call barry-verizon seems to work properly (I can
    include the output lines if needed). The last few lines are:

    local IP address 97.46.221.182
    remote IP address 66.174.216.64
    primary DNS address 66.174.92.14
    secondary DNS address 69.78.96.14
    Script /etc/ppp/ip-up started (pid 14502)
    Script /etc/ppp/ip-up finished (pid 14502), status = 0x0
    ^CTerminating on signal 2
    select(): Interrupted system call
    Connect time 1.3 minutes.
    Sent 0 bytes, received 0 bytes.
    Script /etc/ppp/ip-down started (pid 14681)
    sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "User request"]
    Script /etc/ppp/ip-down finished (pid 14681), status = 0x0

    The problem is relected in the pppob.log file which regularly adds this
    line ( I also can include the entire log file if needed):

    IPModem:: Close Read Timeout

    The barry-verizon.chat is:

    ABORT ERROR ''
    +++AT ''
    ATZ OK
    AT&F OK
    ATE0V1 OK
    AT OK
    ATS0=0 OK
    ATDT#777 CONNECT

    The command /sbin/route -n displays:

    Kernel IP routing table

    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use
    Iface
    66.174.217.64 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0
    ppp0
    127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0
    lo

    Can anyone help me get this to work properly please?

    Aloha.
    Hi
    Adding the options debug debug debug and dump in
    the /etc/ppp/peers/verizon file should help to provide more logging
    detail.

    I have dumped the /etc/ppp/options file and renamed the file,
    then added all the options into the /etc/ppp/peers/verizon file (mines
    different as I use CellularSouth).

    Can you post details of the options you are using?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.29-0.1-default
    up 15:12, 2 users, load average: 2.32, 1.89, 1.79
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18


  3. #3

    Default Re: Blackberry 8830 USB tethering issue

    Thanks...I renamed the options file in /etc/ppp...I also added the options that were not in the barry-verizon file...I added the debug debug debug and dump options...I disconnected my USB cable and ran pppd again with the same results showing the timeout in the data read thread.

    Here is output from running btool -t
    Blackberry devices found:
    Device ID: 0x80ad590. PIN: 31a07988, Description: RIM 8800 Series Colour CDMA Handheld
    Using device (PIN): 31a07988
    Bad packet size. Packet: 26. DataSize(): 26. Required size: 44
    00000000: 00 00 1a 00 09 ff 00 07 52 49 4d 20 44 65 73 6b ........RIM Desk
    00000010: 74 6f 70 00 00 00 00 00 04 00 top.......

    Barry::Error caught: Bad packet size. Packet: 26. DataSize(): 26. Required size: 44

    Here is the contents of my barry-verizon file in /etv/ppp/peers:

    #
    # This file contains options for Verizon Blackberries
    #
    # It is based on a file reported to work, but edited for Barry.
    #

    connect "/usr/sbin/chat -f /etc/chatscripts/barry-verizon.chat"

    noauth
    user ""
    password ""

    defaultroute
    usepeerdns

    noipdefault
    nodetach
    novj
    #nodeflate
    #nobsdcomp
    #noaccomp
    #default-asyncmap
    nocrtscts
    #nopcomp
    #nomagic

    #passive

    nomultilink
    ipcp-restart 7
    ipcp-accept-local
    ipcp-accept-remote
    # added so not to disconnect after a few minutes
    lcp-echo-interval 0
    lcp-echo-failure 999

    #From options file
    crtscts
    modem
    lcp-max-configure 60
    lcp-restart 2
    idle 600
    noipx
    file /etc/ppp/filters

    mtu 1492

    #debug
    debug debug debug
    dump

    pty "/usr/sbin/pppob -P qwqw -l /tmp/pppob.log -v"

    #115200
    #modem

    Appreciate any help you can provide.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,339
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Blackberry 8830 USB tethering issue

    Quote Originally Posted by thorsonr
    Thanks...I renamed the options file in /etc/ppp...I also added the
    options that were not in the barry-verizon file...I added the debug
    debug debug and dump options...I disconnected my USB cable and ran pppd
    again with the same results showing the timeout in the data read
    thread.

    Here is output from running btool -t
    Blackberry devices found:
    Device ID: 0x80ad590. PIN: 31a07988, Description: RIM 8800 Series
    Colour CDMA Handheld
    Using device (PIN): 31a07988
    Bad packet size. Packet: 26. DataSize(): 26. Required size: 44
    00000000: 00 00 1a 00 09 ff 00 07 52 49 4d 20 44 65 73 6b
    ........RIM Desk
    00000010: 74 6f 70 00 00 00 00 00 04 00
    top.......

    Barry::Error caught: Bad packet size. Packet: 26. DataSize(): 26.
    Required size: 44
    <snip>
    Hi

    Delete the following;
    user ""
    password ""
    usepeerdns
    nomultilink
    mtu 1492

    and add;
    replacedefaultroute
    asyncmap 0

    However, btool should provide some output (it does for me on a 8700),

    Which version of barry do you have installed, is it from the
    nrprojects repo? Your could try the svn version 0.15?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.29-0.1-default
    up 17:22, 2 users, load average: 0.02, 0.02, 0.00
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18


  5. #5

    Default Re: Blackberry 8830 USB tethering issue

    Thanks...I actually believe progress was made...although the way I got it was a little strange. Here is what I did:

    Made the suggested changes with no success (still timeouts in data read thread)

    I removed the barry0.14 packages and installed the barry0.15 pacakges from the source forge cvs...recopied the barry-verizon files made earlier with less success than above (was unable to complete script).

    I then re-installed the barry0.14 libs...only installing the libbarry, libbarry-util and libbarry-opensync...I ran the pppd script and it appeared to work (sort of)...it took several minutes before the timeout message appeared in the pppob.log file...I tried connecting to the internet with no success.

    Here is the results of btool -t:

    Blackberry devices found:
    Device ID: 0x80ae438. PIN: 31a07988, Description: RIM 8800 Series Colour CDMA Handheld
    Using device (PIN): 31a07988
    Database database:
    Database: 0x0 'AutoText' (records: 108)
    Database: 0x1 'AutoText Data Version' (records: 1)
    Database: 0x2 'Trusted Key Store' (records: 39)
    Database: 0x3 'PGP Key Store' (records: 0)
    Database: 0x4 'Handheld Key Store' (records: 39)
    Database: 0x5 'Service Book' (records: 6)
    Database: 0x6 'Default Service Selector' (records: 3)
    Database: 0x7 'KeyStoreManager' (records: 1)
    Database: 0x8 'Handheld Configuration' (records: 0)
    Database: 0x9 'Handheld Agent' (records: 294)
    Database: 0xa 'Key Store Options' (records: 1)
    Database: 0xb 'TLS Options' (records: 1)
    Database: 0xc 'Certificate Options' (records: 0)
    Database: 0xd 'Smart Card Options' (records: 1)
    Database: 0xe 'Policy' (records: 0)
    Database: 0xf 'Device Options' (records: 0)
    Database: 0x10 'Options' (records: 12)
    Database: 0x11 'Random Pool' (records: 1)
    Database: 0x12 'WTLS Options' (records: 1)
    Database: 0x13 'RMS Databases' (records: 3)
    Database: 0x14 'Content Store' (records: 32)
    Database: 0x15 'Firewall Options' (records: 1)
    Database: 0x16 'Application Permissions' (records: 1)
    Database: 0x17 'Time Zones' (records: 87)
    Database: 0x18 'CustomWordsCollection' (records: 0)
    Database: 0x19 'Input Method Switcher Option' (records: 1)
    Database: 0x1a 'Profiles Options' (records: 1)
    Database: 0x1b 'MemoPad Options' (records: 1)
    Database: 0x1c 'Memory Cleaner Options' (records: 1)
    Database: 0x1d 'Setup Wizard Options' (records: 1)
    Database: 0x1e 'Memos' (records: 0)
    Database: 0x1f 'Categories' (records: 2)
    Database: 0x20 'Profiles' (records: 6)
    Database: 0x21 'Bluetooth Options' (records: 1)
    Database: 0x22 'File Explorer Options' (records: 1)
    Database: 0x23 'Message List Options' (records: 1)
    Database: 0x24 'Alarm Options' (records: 1)
    Database: 0x25 'Calendar Options' (records: 1)
    Database: 0x26 'Searches' (records: 5)
    Database: 0x27 'Address Book Options' (records: 1)
    Database: 0x28 'Messages' (records: 25)
    Database: 0x29 'Address Book' (records: 42)
    Database: 0x2a 'Voice Activated Dialing Options' (records: 1)
    Database: 0x2b 'PIN Messages' (records: 0)
    Database: 0x2c 'Saved Email Messages' (records: 0)
    Database: 0x2d 'Browser Bookmarks' (records: 6)
    Database: 0x2e 'Browser Messages' (records: 0)
    Database: 0x2f 'Browser Data Cache' (records: 5)
    Database: 0x30 'Browser Channels' (records: 0)
    Database: 0x31 'Browser Folders' (records: 2)
    Database: 0x32 'Browser Options' (records: 1)
    Database: 0x33 'WAP Push Messages' (records: 0)
    Database: 0x34 'Browser Urls' (records: 6)
    Database: 0x35 'Email Filters - 8648' (records: 0)
    Database: 0x36 'Email Settings - 8648' (records: 1)
    Database: 0x37 'Calendar' (records: 1)
    Database: 0x38 'Phone Options' (records: 1)
    Database: 0x39 'Theme Settings' (records: 1)
    Database: 0x3a 'Phone Call Logs' (records: 27)
    Database: 0x3b 'Phone Hotlist' (records: 30)
    Database: 0x3c 'Folder Id' (records: 1)
    Database: 0x3d 'Folders' (records: 0)
    Database: 0x3e 'Purged Messages' (records: 0)
    Database: 0x3f 'Recipient Cache' (records: 1)
    Database: 0x40 'SMS Messages' (records: 3)
    Database: 0x41 'Tasks Options' (records: 1)
    Database: 0x42 'Attachment Options' (records: 1)
    Database: 0x43 'Attachment Data' (records: 0)
    Database: 0x44 'Tasks' (records: 0)
    Database: 0x45 'Browser Push Options' (records: 1)
    Database: 0x46 'BlackBerry Messenger' (records: 1)
    Database: 0x47 'Map Locations' (records: 0)
    Database: 0x48 'Quick Contacts' (records: 1)
    Database: 0x49 'PasswordKeeper' (records: 0)
    Database: 0x4a 'PasswordKeeper Options' (records: 1)
    Database: 0x4b 'Spell Check Options' (records: 1)
    Database: 0x4c 'Secure Email Decision Maker' (records: 1)

    Here is the tail in the terminal running pppd:

    usb_os_find_devices: Found 001 on 003
    usb_os_find_devices: Found 004 on 001
    usb_os_find_devices: Found 001 on 001
    error obtaining child information: Inappropriate ioctl for device
    Script /usr/sbin/chat -f /etc/chatscripts/barry-verizon.chat finished (pid 6176), status = 0x0
    Serial connection established.
    using channel 2
    Using interface ppp0
    Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/3
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x9451d9bd> <pcomp> <accomp>]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x12 <mru 1500> <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x5eb629e3> <pcomp> <accomp>]
    sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x12 <mru 1500> <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x5eb629e3> <pcomp> <accomp>]
    rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x9451d9bd> <pcomp> <accomp>]
    sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 <deflate 15> <deflate(old#) 15> <bsd v1 15>]
    sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 <addr 0.0.0.0>]
    rcvd [LCP DiscReq id=0x13 magic=0x5eb629e3]
    rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x6 <addr 66.174.216.64>]
    sent [IPCP ConfAck id=0x6 <addr 66.174.216.64>]
    rcvd [LCP ProtRej id=0x14 80 fd 01 01 00 0f 1a 04 78 00 18 04 78 00 15 03 2f]
    Protocol-Reject for 'Compression Control Protocol' (0x80fd) received
    rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x1 <addr 97.153.233.172>]
    sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 <addr 97.153.233.172>]
    rcvd [IPCP ConfAck id=0x2 <addr 97.153.233.172>]
    replacing old default route to wlan0 [192.168.0.1]
    local IP address 97.153.233.172
    remote IP address 66.174.216.64
    Script /etc/ppp/ip-up started (pid 6180)
    Script /etc/ppp/ip-up finished (pid 6180), status = 0x0
    ^Cselect(): Interrupted system call
    Terminating on signal 2
    Connect time 7.6 minutes.
    Sent 111528 bytes, received 352018 bytes.
    restoring old default route to wlan0 [192.168.0.1]
    restore default route ioctl(SIOCADDRT): No such process(3)
    Script /etc/ppp/ip-down started (pid 6971)
    sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "User request"]
    Script /etc/ppp/ip-down finished (pid 6971), status = 0x0

    The question I have is do I need to run another process to establish an internet connection through the modem?

    Thanks.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,339
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Blackberry 8830 USB tethering issue

    Quote Originally Posted by thorsonr
    Thanks...I actually believe progress was made...although the way I got
    it was a little strange. Here is what I did:

    Made the suggested changes with no success (still timeouts in data read
    thread)

    I removed the barry0.14 packages and installed the barry0.15 pacakges
    from the source forge cvs...recopied the barry-verizon files made
    earlier with less success than above (was unable to complete script).

    I then re-installed the barry0.14 libs...only installing the libbarry,
    libbarry-util and libbarry-opensync...I ran the pppd script and it
    appeared to work (sort of)...it took several minutes before the timeout
    message appeared in the pppob.log file...I tried connecting to the
    internet with no success.

    Here is the results of btool -t:
    <snip>
    Connect time 7.6 minutes.

    The question I have is do I need to run another process to establish an
    internet connection through the modem?

    Thanks.
    Hi
    So you were connected for 7.6 minutes, so add the option to usepeerdns
    and increase the idle timeout and unrem the connection speed 115200.

    If DNS still doesn't work, look through man pppd and see how to add say
    openDNS servers (removing usepeerdns) 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

    Did you install via rpm? as the barry rpms are on the OBS;
    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_11.1/

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.29-0.1-default
    up 1 day 6:03, 2 users, load average: 2.54, 2.01, 1.62
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18


  7. #7

    Default Re: Blackberry 8830 USB tethering issue

    Thanks for the help...here is what I found out:

    I made all the suggested changes and the script failed. I undid the connect speed change and the script ran OK (although the timeout still occurred with a value of 6000 and I was unable to connect an any URL if firefox).

    I tried pinging the specified DNS servers displayed in the pppd command and was successful.

    I then rem the usepeerdns line and created to environment variables DNS1 and DNS2 withe the IPs provided. The script ran OK again but still not able to browse to any URL (connect timeout still appeared in log). I was able to ping the DNS servers.

    So it appears a network route is being established but without a valid DNS.

    The blackberry I'm using is a company supplied phone with a company supplied verizon service. It worked fine using windows and VZAccess Manager. Is it possible the internet plan service supplied with this phone is required to use a very specific DNS?

    Thanks.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,339
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Blackberry 8830 USB tethering issue

    Quote Originally Posted by thorsonr
    Thanks for the help...here is what I found out:

    I made all the suggested changes and the script failed. I undid the
    connect speed change and the script ran OK (although the timeout still
    occurred with a value of 6000 and I was unable to connect an any URL if
    firefox).

    I tried pinging the specified DNS servers displayed in the pppd command
    and was successful.

    I then rem the usepeerdns line and created to environment variables
    DNS1 and DNS2 withe the IPs provided. The script ran OK again but still
    not able to browse to any URL (connect timeout still appeared in log).
    I was able to ping the DNS servers.

    So it appears a network route is being established but without a valid
    DNS.

    The blackberry I'm using is a company supplied phone with a company
    supplied verizon service. It worked fine using windows and VZAccess
    Manager. Is it possible the internet plan service supplied with this
    phone is required to use a very specific DNS?

    Thanks.
    Hi
    In windows run the windows ipconfig?(or what ever it uses these days) to
    see what DNS servers your using, but yes it may be managed through the
    blackberry enterprise management tool.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.29-0.1-default
    up 1 day 8:04, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.08, 0.21
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18


  9. #9

    Default Re: Blackberry 8830 USB tethering issue

    Thanks...I did that and it so happens the DNS servers where the same IPs as the ones found when usepeersdns was umrem.

    By the way, I did use RPM to install the barry 0.15 distribution. I do not recall where I downloaded from but the versions numbers are identical to the ndprojects.

    Aloha.

  10. #10
    divengrabber NNTP User

    Default Re: Blackberry 8830 USB tethering issue

    i also have blackberry but never try this application.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •