3D Sound Blaster Pro - No Sound!

Hello All,

I am running OS 11.1 (64 bit) on a new HP Pavilion DV6-1240ea which is equipped with a 3D Sound Blaster Pro compatible sound card (16 bit integrated), though there is no sound!

Please see here for the full system specs:

HP Pavilion dv6-1240ea Entertainment Notebook PC (NZ364EA) specifications - HP Home & Home Office products

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Paul.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can enable audio?

I am going to guess that your HP DV6 has an IDT 92HD75B3X5 hardware audio codec. Assuming that is the case, please add this line to the START of the file /etc/modprobe.d/sound :

options snd-hda-intel model=hp-m4 enable_msi=1

then restart your PC and test your sound.

You can edit the /etc/modprobe.d/sound file

• in gnome by typing: gnomesu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/sound
    #and enter root password when prompted - in kde by typing: kdesu ‘kwrite /etc/modprobe.d/sound’
    #and enter root password when prompted.

If that does not work, then please remove that edit, and post here and I’ll give you some diagnostic commands to send, so that I can understand your laptop’s hardware/software audio configuration better.

I note this worked for some other HP DV6 users, BUT its also possible you may need to update your alsa in addition to that, in which case I can provide you the commands to send to update alsa.

If the above worked, then STOP here … If the above did NOT work, then read on …

Please, do NOT use the startup system sound as your criteria for stating sound does not work. Also be certain to check your mixer. Its not uncommon for a mixer setting (master, pcm or speaker) to be muted upon boot. In KDE your mixer is “kmix” (the small speaker in right hand corner). In Gnome your mixer is “alsamixer”.

Note, when testing if you have sound, please copy and paste the following speaker-test into a Gnome terminal or a kde konsole:

speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 -l5 -twav
Note Linux is case sensitive, and “D” is not the same as ‘d’. To stop the above test, while the konsole/xterm has the mouse focus, press on the keyboard. Note you should check your mixer settings (kmix if using KDE, and alsamixer if using Gnome) to ensure that PCM and Master Volume are set around 95%. Once you have basic sound established you can back off to lower volume levels. Note the test for surround sound is different.

If that test yields errors (and its not uncommon to get errors there), try instead this more simple test: speaker-test -c2 -l5 -twavYou should hear a female voice saying ‘FRONT LEFT’, ‘FRONT RIGHT’ five times. Its quite common that one of those speaker tests will work and one will NOT work, so don’t be distressed if that is the case. IF that test gives sound, stop now, post that the sound test gives sound, and we will look at other possible causes for your applications not giving you the sound you want (such as missing codecs, using the wrong packaged version … etc … ).

Or alternatively, for testing the simple playback, use aplay program. Prepare a WAV file and simply run like:

aplay -vv somefile.wav

With the option -vv, aplay shows the verbose information of the PCM device, and a VU-peak meter during playing the file.

Try those speaker-tests as both a regular user, and also with root permissions. If you have a headset, try with your headset plugged in, and also with your headset not plugged in (for speakers).

Assuming no sound, can you provide more very detailed information so a good recommendation can be given? For openSUSE-11.1, you can do that, with your laptop connected to the internet, by opening a gnome-terminal or a kde konsole and twice copy and paste the following into that terminal/konsole

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh

Run it the 1st time with root permissions. It will ask if you wish to do an update of the script. Select YES.

Then run it again (as either a regular user or as root). This time it will diagnose your PC’s hardware and software configuration for audio, and it will post its output on the Internet/web. It will give you the URL of the web site. Please post that URL here. JUST the URL.

Also, please copy and paste the following commands one line at a time into a gnome-terminal or a konsole and post here the output: rpm -qa | grep alsa
rpm -qa | grep pulse
rpm -q libasound2
uname -a
cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound… with that information I may be able to make a recommendation.

Also, do NOT waste too much time on this. Simply post on our forum if you get stumped, and continue to look for help that way.

Hello,

Firstly thank you ever so much for the extensive information - I can confirm I now have sound working as a result of adding the extra line to /etc/modprobe.d/sound

My only concern now is that the audio is relatively quiet for the hardware setting. I have checked that all obvious volume ‘sliders’ are turned up. I have executed the diagnostic script and the output is here:

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=e997be9fe46bc37e91ce52987eba5e9dbbf251a4

I chose not to update ALSA via the script as I do have audio and would prefer to do this via Yast.

Have you any thoughts as to increasing the audio volume? Once again, thanks for your help - it is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Paul.

Great ! Congratulations on getting basic sound functioning.

Take a look at this extract from the script (amixer output):

!!Amixer output
!!-------------
!!-------Mixer controls for card 0 [Intel]
Card hw:0 ‘Intel’/‘HDA Intel at 0xda100000 irq 4343’
Mixer name : ‘IDT 92HD75B3X5’
Simple mixer control ‘Master’,0
Mono: Playback 64 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control ‘PCM’,0
Front Left: Playback 255 [100%] [0.00dB]
Front Right: Playback 255 [100%] [0.00dB]
Simple mixer control ‘Front’,0
Front Left: Playback 37 [58%] -20.25dB] [on]
Front Right: Playback 37 [58%] -20.25dB] [on]
Simple mixer control ‘Speaker’,0
Front Left: Playback 37 [58%] -20.25dB] [on]
Front Right: Playback 37 [58%] -20.25dB] [on]The Master and PCM volume levels on your laptop are maxed out, but it is possible that the Front and Speaker controls also affect your volume levels. Those are at 58%. Try moving those up.

Often one can go to YaST > Hardware > Sound and move up PCM, Master, Speaker (and maybe Front) to 95% levels or so, close YaST, and then adjust the levels in one’s mixer. Note PCM may change dynamically with different applications and may need to be moved up after opening a multimedia app.

Note for KDE users, the mixer (kmix) may need to have extra controls added via kmix menu channel selection/addition.

Hello,

I turned up those extra options in the mixer and sound is working a charm. Which should I be using to control the overall system sound? Master?

Unfortunately, and probably due to my tinkering, the HP’s touch-operated volume slider above the keyboard has stopped working and, although an on-screen speaker ‘icon’ with moving volume bar pops up, it does not appear to be controlling anything. Ironically, before audio was working, when moving the physical volume slider I was able to then click on the toolbar applet which showed a change in volume. This no longer happens.

I apologise for all the questions! Thanks once again.

Regards,

Paul.

Use what ever works best for you.

I can’t help with specifics here.

Perhaps take a look at the audio troubleshooting guide: SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE - configuring a laptops multimedia keys

Thanks again for your help. I’ll start a new thread and see if there’s any other Pavilion users with a fix. Cheers, Paul.

I have Hp Pavillion dv4-1235ee Notebook PC with windows vista.
there is no sound coming from internal speakers, 3d sound blaster pro compatible sound 16 bit integrated. please help me to solve the issue.

If you are going to tag on to someone else’s thread, it would help if you read the thread, and posted similar information as that asked of the previous user. ie … from post#3 above:

Note, when testing if you have sound, please copy and paste the following speaker-test into a Gnome terminal or a kde konsole:

speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 -l5 -twav
Note Linux is case sensitive, and “D” is not the same as ‘d’. To stop the above test, while the konsole/xterm has the mouse focus, press <CTRL><C> on the keyboard. Note you should check your mixer settings (kmix if using KDE, and alsamixer if using Gnome) to ensure that PCM and Master Volume are set around 95%. Once you have basic sound established you can back off to lower volume levels. Note the test for surround sound is different.

If that test yields errors (and its not uncommon to get errors there), try instead this more simple test: speaker-test -c2 -l5 -twavYou should hear a female voice saying ‘FRONT LEFT’, ‘FRONT RIGHT’ five times. Its quite common that one of those speaker tests will work and one will NOT work, so don’t be distressed if that is the case. IF that test gives sound, stop now, post that the sound test gives sound, and we will look at other possible causes for your applications not giving you the sound you want (such as missing codecs, using the wrong packaged version … etc … ).

Or alternatively, for testing the simple playback, use aplay program. Prepare a WAV file and simply run like:

aplay -vv  somefile.wav

With the option -vv, aplay shows the verbose information of the PCM device, and a VU-peak meter during playing the file.

Try those speaker-tests as both a regular user, and also with root permissions. If you have a headset, try with your headset plugged in, and also with your headset not plugged in (for speakers).

Assuming no sound, can you provide more very detailed information so a good recommendation can be given? For openSUSE-11.1 and later (ie 11.1, 11.2, 11.3, 11.4), you can do that, with your laptop connected to the internet, by opening a gnome-terminal or a kde konsole and twice copy and paste the following into that terminal/konsole

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh

Run it the 1st time with root permissions. It will ask if you wish to do an update of the script. Select YES.

Then run it again (as either a regular user or as root) again with your PC connected to the Internet. Select the SHARE/UPLOAD option. This time it will diagnose your PC’s hardware and software configuration for audio, and it will post its output on the Internet/web. It will give you the URL of the web site. Please post that URL here. JUST the URL.

Also, please copy and paste the following commands one line at a time into a gnome-terminal or a konsole and post here the output: rpm -qa | grep alsa
rpm -qa | grep pulse
rpm -q libasound2
uname -a
cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound… with that information I may be able to make a recommendation.

Also, do NOT waste too much time on this. Simply post on our forum if you get stumped, and continue to look for help that way.