Thread: Installation problem

aakaashjois NNTP User

Unhappy Installation problem

Hello,

I am new to openSUSE, I just thought of trying it out the KDE version. I have 4 partitions in the computer.

1. NTFS 100 GB
    2. NTFS 30 GB
    3. NTFS 5 GB
    4. Ext3 10 GB

I want to install openSUSE on the 10GB partition. After I click the 'Install" on the desktop folder, a window opens up. In the 5th step of the installation, when I click the install button, it tells "all the existing partitions will be formated or deleted. How do i make it format only the ext3 partition??

Default Re: Installation problem

Choose to edit the partitions; delete all lines and then add your partition #4 to mount the / (root) directory. You will have a system with no swap and very limited disk space so be careful what software packages you select.

Default Re: Installation problem

If these are four ordinary partitions, openSUSE will expect to create an extended partition first in order then to create /, /swap and /home as logical partitions.

In theory you could install everything on a single partition if you have enough RAM not to benefit from swap but the downside is that you do not then have a separate /home partition.

Whatever the case you will need to use the expert partition option; if you decide to have more than one partition, I would suggest 4Gb for /, 512Mb for swap and the rest for /home.

Also, make sure you mount all the other partitions at the same time, labelling them something like /windows/C, /windows/D etc as openSUSE will not do this automatically if you use expert mode.