Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AC97

kmussel2k NNTP User

Default AC97

I recently installed 11.1 on my laptop and cannot get any sound. I am using a realtek sound card that utilizes the AC97 Driver. I have downloaded the Linux driver from the Realtek site, but the installation failed. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: AC97

SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE

You shouldn't need to install a special driver.
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

kmussel2k NNTP User

Thanks for the reply. I figured out how to get my sound card working by running 'alsaconf'. I have sound but lose it every time that I restart the machine. I have to go into Yast and reconfigure the card with each new session. Any thoughts?

Blog Entries

Tumbleweed_KDE

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kmussel2k View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I figured out how to get my sound card working by running 'alsaconf'. I have sound but lose it every time that I restart the machine. I have to go into Yast and reconfigure the card with each new session. Any thoughts?
    if instead of running alsaconf, what happens if you type:
    su -c 'rcalsasound restart'
    enter root password and test your sound. Does that work? If that works, we can have that run every time your boot your pc.

kmussel2k NNTP User

That worked, how do I get that command into the boot sequence.

Blog Entries

That worked, how do I get that command into the boot sequence.
    Add the line:
    rcalsasound restart
    at the end of the file /etc/init.d/boot.local and save the change. If you have difficulty making that change, post and I'll explain how to do that with a text editor.

kmussel2k NNTP User

I have tried editing the file through KWrite, but it will not let me save the file. I am the only user on this system and I thought that I would have full privileges, but apparently not.

Blog Entries

kdesu kwrite /path/to/file
    Tumbleweed_KDE

Blog Entries

I have tried editing the file through KWrite, but it will not let me save the file. I am the only user on this system and I thought that I would have full privileges, but apparently not.
    Its very IMPORTANT in Linux that a regular user, even if the ONLY user does NOT have full privileges. That is a fundamental Linux concept, and please do not take this the wrong way, but if that is unacceptable to you, then Linux is not the operating system for you. We would hate to see you go, but thats just the way it is with Linux. I have windoze friends who dislike this about Linux, and who stay in windoze which they prefer. So be it and I don't blaime them. One should go with what works for them. This is truly a fundamental Linux concept, and operating Linux with full permissions as a user will cause problems for even the most expert and experienced guru.

You can edit the file
    • in gnome with: gnomesu gedit /etc/init.d/boot.local #and enter root password when prompted, or
    • in kde with: kdesu 'kwrite /etc/init.d/boot.local' # and enter root password when prompted

Good luck!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast