Broadcom 4306 not playing nice,,,

Having serious problems getting a BCM4306 to respond under SUSE 11.1.

System Specs…
Dell Latitide D600
Kernel 2.6.27.29-0.1
KDE 4.1.3

It appears that the wireless card is identified and firmware is loading successfully.

YaST=>Hardware=>Hardware Information reports the card is present. Kerner Driver: ssb

Boot.msg reports…
b43legacy-phy0: Loading firmware version 0x127, patch level 14 (2005-04-18 02:36:27)

lspci reports…
02:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

iwlist scan reports…
wlan0 No scan results

Tried 'ifconfig wlan0 up" to make sure card was up. No difference.

/var/log/messages has repeating line, once per minute
“kernel: b43legacy-phy0 ERROR: PHY transmission error”

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Ok, I am soooo embarrassed. After spending time on this issue on-and-off for a week, I finally gave up and posted the issue on the forum today. Only moments later, I resolved the problem!

Despite having the BIOS set to turn the Wireless Card “On”, evidently the card was indeed off. Pressing Fn+F2 and THEN performing a scan, I found my network. It’s kinda like flying blind as there is no on-screen indication showing the status of the wireless interface (no LED on the hardware either)

Too bad there isn’t a utility for Suse, similar to Dell’s Quickset for Windoze…

Despite having the BIOS set to turn the Wireless Card “On”, evidently the card was indeed off. Pressing Fn+F2 and THEN performing a scan, I found my network. It’s kinda like flying blind as there is no on-screen indication showing the status of the wireless interface (no LED on the hardware either)

Good work in finding the cause of your problem. I’m surprised that there is no LED indication though. That does make it a little harder to know the status. This may assist others with similar laptops to check this as a possible wireless ‘problem’.