Thread: How configure sound - confused

togglez NNTP User

Default How configure sound - confused

Hello,

i am a new Linuxer since some weeks, openSUSE 11.1 x86_64, KDE 3.5.10 "release 21.11".

I had only a little problem that system sounds didn't work. Someone sent me here to read, told me perhaps to remove pulseaudio.

Ok i looked at SDB:AudioTroubleshooting here. i saw that i missed alsa-firmware so i added it and did the tests, configured sound file as it was explained.

Here was my configuration-file:
    http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=a4...51be13129d3b9c

I did not succeed make working system sounds, so i removed pulseaudio with YaST (all modules with pulseaudio).

System sounds always didn't work, so i updated all i found about alsa with the software manager (where you can choose remove, install or update).

After that i noticed that avidemux, audacity and XMMS didn't work any more.

I tried things, don't remember exactly what.

When i reinstalled pulseaudio, i finally found system sounds, nice, but all this work for these little noises

xmms reworks also (don't know why), but audacity freezes when i open an mp3, and my password manager "mono keePass.exe" crashes now. (before the manipulations hi workes perfectly)

Then i read in a thread here that someone advised to always "do a clean install", so i suggest i did probably wrong when i updated some modules ?! I'm so stupid.

Now i have the following situation:

- Either i activate system sounds, then xmms doesn't work (message: can't find sound device or sth. like that)

- or i unable system sounds, then xmms works

In both cases, audacity and KeePass crashes.

I think my audio configuration file isn't good neither:
    http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=e5...ca2ffc3fda793a
    (there is no model declared as explained in the Troubleshooting page step 5):

Can you give me some advice how to configure (to add model to) the sound file?

Can i do something to have a "cleaner" installation? (Perhaps "repair system" with my Suse-install DVD?)

As you see, now i have 3 sound services installed/run:
    pulseaudio, esound and aRTs. Before i had only 2. This is probably not so good, isn't it? Perhaps one is enough? Should i remove one ore 2 ?

I hope i am understandable, english is not my language. Thank you for reading me!

Blog Entries

Default Re: How configure sound - confused

Your mixer settings do not look good. I note:

Card hw:0 'NVidia'/'HDA NVidia at 0xfe024000 irq 22'
    Mixer name : 'Realtek ALC883'
    Simple mixer control 'Master',0
    Mono: Playback 17 [55%] [-21.00dB] [on]
    Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
    Mono:
    Front Left: Playback 31 [12%] [-44.80dB]
    Front Right: Playback 31 [12%] [-44.80dB]
    Those levels are way too low. Move them up to 95% and test again. Then if no sound still, report, and we can look at this some more.