Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Booting of the existing OS from VirtualBox problem

Question Booting of the existing OS from VirtualBox problem

Hello!

I have openSuse 11.1 installed on my hard drive. I want to use it both natively & from VirtualBox hosted by Windows Vista.

I had to create a mapping VirtualBox drive , thanks to VBoxManage command. I pointed 2 drives: the drive with Linux & the swap drive.

DProgram Files\Sun\VirtualBox>VBoxManage.exe internalcommands createrawvmdk -f
    ilename dVirtuals\openSUSE11_drive_physical_mapping\drive.vmdk -rawdisk \\.\Ph
    ysicalDrive0 -partitions 2,6
    Then when it goes to load from VirtualBox it doesn't boot at all.

The message is
    Waiting for device /dev/disk/by-id etc
    Want me to fall back to... (Y/n)
    Both variants Y and N are not working. I guess there must be something done with fstab, but as I want to boot linux from pc & from VirtualBox too, I can't simply change fstab. So what should I do ?

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Booting of the existing OS from VirtualBox problem

Let me summarize: you want to multi-boot openSUSE native with Vista and you want the same openSUSE install to be a VM in Vista? Is that what you want, or do you want the native openSUSE to boot and a VM with a separate openSUSE install in VBox?
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

I want to boot the same OS (openSUSE) during the startup of the PC & from VirtualBox. The same os from the same drive.

I donot mean at the same time of course from VM it will be hosted by Vista.

So,does anybody know the solution ? I believe this is a common stuff.

pop in to #vbox on IRC, it IS possible but the manual for vbox is not entirely clear on the subj.

Tumbleweed/KDE/Ati Radeon R9 270/AMD FX-6300/8Gb DDR3

But it is not virtual box issue, it is completely linux thing , I guess. We are to do something with GRUB & fstab I think.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Programmer768 View Post
    But it is not virtual box issue, it is completely linux thing , I guess. We are to do something with GRUB & fstab I think.
    So, you do want what I thought. And so, this is a VirtualBox problem. There are guidelines to run native installed OS's in VBox but none official. They are generally used to virtualize windozes on linux systems.

Did a quick search. One of the devs at virtualbox.org says:
    1. if it works you must be using VBox
    2. if it almost works you have to keep trying VBox
    3. if it doesn't work, go via bugtracker to get VBox working

Summarizing what I've read: it may be possible, but it's not recommended.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

The quick answer is yes, you can do this with VirtualBox, but it's a bunch of work. VirtualBox doesn't give you an easy way to configure this (it's one of those things that's technically possible, but not officially supported or recommended). It requires using VBoxManage to change the .xml config files to enable "raw" drive access.

Refer to the VirtualBox documentation (see Documentation - VirtualBox) for the detailed procedure; look for the section, "Advanced Topics," sub-heading, "Access to entire physical hard disk." That'll get you started.

And don't miss this warning:

Code:
    Warning

Raw hard disk access is for expert users only. Incorrect use or use of an outdated configuration can lead to total loss of data on the physical disk. Most importantly, do not attempt to boot the partition with the currently running host operating system in a guest. This will lead to severe data corruption.
    When I get time, I'm going to try this with my existing Windows XP partition.

Guys, thank you very much. But as I say, I have already done with raw disks mount. I have GRUB appearing, then I click "load Suse" and it says it can't manage the situation with drives. Because I guess the identifiers of the drives are different between the PC and VirtualBox.
    That's why I say that we are to do something with GRUB or fstab, because my VirtualBox has already got a right access to the raw drives. I haven't found a solution yet.
    If anyone knows what to do in this situation please comment on that.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast