nvidia, net access

This all stems from trying to install 11.1

I upgraded from 11.0 to 11.1 and Compiz didn’t work.
Then I use the 1-click nvidia install and rebooted
Reboot failed to make it to the GUI with retry errors.
I visited NVIDIA/Problems with 1-click install - openSUSE and found that did describe my problem.
Lastly, since I don’t make it into the GUI I don’t have network access so I can’t upgrade my installation using zypper.

2 questions:

1. how do I get internet access at that level? No UI, just command prompt.
  2. can I change a text based config file to tell gnome not to use nvidia, but to use what ever was there before. That way I can just update in the GUI as I did before.

Thanks for your help,
Derek

You installed the driver, but did not configure X to use it. To do so:

At the login prompt in the console (that’s what you’re seeing) login with username and password, and do:

su -c ‘init 3’

su -c ‘sax2 -r -m0=nvidia’

Pick Change Configuration, check and adjust settings where needed, save and exit. X-server (for graphic display) is now configured to use the nvidia driver.

su -c ‘init 5 && exit’

This returns you to the graphic login screen, if all is well. If not, get back and we’ll try to help you.

Thanks for the info. I tried it out but then it couldn’t find screens. I’m on a dual-boot now (this is Vista), and I can’t think of how to copy screen or files from the broken suse part. Here is what I jotted down from the problem now:

su -c ‘init 3’

su -c ‘sax2 -r -m0=nvidia’

Here I got errors:
xc: sorry could not start configuration server
xc: for details refer to log /var/log/SaX.log
xc: abort

That log file is too big, but the last 2 lines were:

Fatal server error
no screens found

Let me know if there are any particular lines in the log file I should look for.

Thanks.