Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 hard drives

Question 2 hard drives

Hay, my PC has 2 hard drives and I would like Linux to see it as one, is it possible to to it?

Default Re: 2 hard drives

I do not quite understand what you mean by "seeing as one"?

In Unix/linux all partititions are mounted somewhere in one big directory tree (starting at /). As normal user you will see this as "one" lump of disk space and will normaly not know when you cross from one partition to the other.
    See also SDB:Basics of partitions, filesystems, mount poin - openSUSE

When you mean you want to create partitions crossing disks you could use Locigal Volume Manager. Is a layer that at the bottom grabs together a number of disks into one lump of diskspace. At the top it presents this space as a disk where you can carve partitions from. Further you can use RAID methods on these partitions (like mirroring).

But again, what do you mean by "seeing as one"?
    Henk van Velden

when I go to my computer I can see two disks : /home and /local. I want my two hard drives to virtually become one hard drive.

Camalen NNTP User

jola k wrote:

> when I go to my computer I can see two disks : /home and /local. I want
    > my two hard drives to virtually become one hard drive.

Mmm... if you are talking about some kind of advanced partitioning scheme
    (LVM, RAID or spanning) you will need to redefine better (in a precisely
    manner) your goals :-)

Greetings,

--
    Camalen

Quote Originally Posted by jola_k View Post
    when I go to my computer I can see two disks : /home and /local. I want my two hard drives to virtually become one hard drive.
    They are NOT two hard drives, they are partitions. These partitions MAY be each on a separate disk, they may be on the same disk. Did you study the Wiki SDB page I gave you a link to? So that at least we talk the same words and mean the same things?

Also about /local. It is not very usual to have that, but it may be for a good reason. Also I am missing / in your story. Can you please past here the output of the following three statements (as root):
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    cat /etc/fstab
    mount
    Again, please explain what you mean by "seeing" them. Of course whe you have two partitions mounted, that can be "seen" somewhere. Especialy by the system administrator (root). For the normal user this has no significance. When he logs in he is in his home directory (on the /home partition in your case) and can manouevre from there to any place he is allowed to go to, either in the CLI (with e.g. the cd command) or by using a "file manager" in a GUI, without even having an idea if at one point in time he is executing a program on the / partition using data on the /home partition, writing out data to the /local partion.

And having a separate /home partition has many pros. It comes e.g. very handy when you update/reinstall your system, because not touching the /home partition then migrates all user data to the upgraded/new system automaticaly. Also when some user fills up all available space (by accident, we hope) only /home will be full and the system can still function.
    Henk van Velden

my goal is to be able to have my home folder on one big virtual disk, so that I can save files on both disks within my home folder. passing between harddrives is a pain in... I dont want any partition, I want suse to think there is one big 600GB hard drive, not two seperate 300GB's
    so I dont have to have sudo powers to place files in the other hard drive. as my home folder is only on one

Lightbulb Re: 2 hard drives

Quote Originally Posted by jola_k View Post
    my goal is to be able to have my home folder on one big virtual disk, so that I can save files on both disks within my home folder. passing between harddrives is a pain in... I dont want any partition, I want suse to think there is one big 600GB hard drive, not two seperate 300GB's
    so I dont have to have sudo powers to place files in the other hard drive. as my home folder is only on one
    have you read up on mount? under mount you can reposition partitions and physical drives such they appear in your home folder.

If that doesn't work for you you can also create a link in your home folder to the other partitions and drives.
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

linux-1rjj:~ # fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x48000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 2 38913 312560640 83 Linux

Disk /dev/sdb: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00000081

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sdb1 * 1 262 2104483+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sdb2 263 2873 20972857+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sdb3 2874 38913 289491300 83 Linux
    linux-1rjj:~ # cat /etc/fstab
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD3200AAKS-75L9A0_WD-WCAV24273601-part1 swap swap defaults 0 0
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD3200AAKS-75L9A0_WD-WCAV24273601-part2 / ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 1
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD3200AAKS-75L9A0_WD-WCAV24273601-part3 /home ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
    debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs noauto 0 0
    usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD3200AAKS-75L9A0_WD-WCAV24333525-part1 /local ext3 defaults 1 2
    linux-1rjj:~ # mount
    /dev/sdb2 on / type ext3 (rw,acl,user_xattr)
    /proc on /proc type proc (rw)
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
    debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
    udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620,gid=5)
    /dev/sdb3 on /home type ext3 (rw,acl,user_xattr)
    /dev/sda1 on /local type ext3 (rw)
    fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
    securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
    none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
    linux-1rjj:~ #

The Link you mentioned is not working

Lightbulb Re: 2 hard drives

How did you try to create a link to the other harddisk?
    Also have you got root permissions in effect on the /local drive?

If root only permissions are present they will have to be changed or a regular user can't get access.

Just had a thought here, your not talking about having the drives function together such that files can span Hdisks! Cause that just won't work.

Sorry but have to go till tonight. I will check back in then.
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast