Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: USB flash drive won't show up anymore!

  1. #1

    Default USB flash drive won't show up anymore!

    When I plug my USB stick in, it no longer registers. If I type: "lshal -m" and then plug it in, nothing shows up. What can I do to fix this? What could the problem be?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,721
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: USB flash drive won't show up anymore!

    Is this kde or gnome?

    If you open a su terminal and do
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    Does it show?
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  3. #3

    Default Re: USB flash drive won't show up anymore!

    Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Is this kde or gnome?

    If you open a su terminal and do
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    Does it show?
    KDE.

    When I type: /sbin/fdisk -l I get:

    Code:
    /dev/sda1               1         121      971901   82  Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda2   *         122        1856    13936387+  83  Linux
    /dev/sda3            1857        4427    20651557+  83  Linux
    I believe that's my swap, home and root drives, right?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,721
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: USB flash drive won't show up anymore!

    Have tried other usb devices to see if they are picked up?
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  5. #5

    Default Re: USB flash drive won't show up anymore!

    Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Have tried other usb devices to see if they are picked up?
    Yep, and they load fine. I think it might be toast.

    I tried: cat /proc/partitions (before and after plugging it in) and it doesn't show.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,721
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: USB flash drive won't show up anymore!

    If you have a Parted magic CD. Boot it, with the USB drive plugged in. See if the partitioner (parted) picks it up. If it does. Format it.
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  7. #7

    Default Re: USB flash drive won't show up anymore!

    Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    If you have a Parted magic CD. Boot it, with the USB drive plugged in. See if the partitioner (parted) picks it up. If it does. Format it.
    Is that the same as "parted" which is available in the repositories (and once loaded is /usr/sbin/parted)? If so, I have that and when I issue the command "print" with it, it only shows the swap, root and home. It doesn't show even the USB drive that does work.

    If not, where do I get parted magic? Can I just install it directly on the HD or do I need it booted from a CD?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,721
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: USB flash drive won't show up anymore!

    Better try this live cd, download and burn
    Downloads - Parted Magic
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    11,716
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: USB flash drive won't show up anymore!

    This happens to me occasionally. I power down, take the drive off, swear about american bankers 5 times, execute a circle, power up, reinsert the drive and it comes back open in Nautilus (I'm a Gnomer).

    Unless it's NTFS, then the ritual is different.

    But of course, yours might not have the same problem as mine.
    Leap 42.2 & Leap 42.3 [&KDE]
    FYIs from the days of yore

  10. #10

    Default Re: USB flash drive won't show up anymore!

    Quote Originally Posted by swerdna View Post
    This happens to me occasionally. I power down, take the drive off, swear about american bankers 5 times, execute a circle, power up, reinsert the drive and it comes back open in Nautilus (I'm a Gnomer).

    Unless it's NTFS, then the ritual is different.

    But of course, yours might not have the same problem as mine.
    I can't get it to read on windows or linux anymore. I think it's dead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •