Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M7: latest update screws GRUB - again.

Default M7: latest update screws GRUB - again.

Just updated M7 from Factory OSS. Get a pretty new boot menu but the updated
    system is no longer on it. Nice one guys!

--
    Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks., UK. E-mail: newsman not newsboy
    "I wear the cheese. It does not wear me."

Blog Entries

Default Re: M7: latest update screws GRUB - again.

Updater made me choose between kernel-default and kernel-default-base, while both are needed (your problem AFAICS). Ever since I run Factory I always check /boot/grub/menu.lst after kernel update. It was almost empty after update (no menu lines).
    I installed kernel-default-base after the update. The menu.lst was ok afterwards.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

What a lovely new Grub screen.

P.S.

Yup, taking care that kernel-$FLAVOR-base is also installed avoided me falling into that little trap (although I always check menu.lst after every kernel update to be on the safe side).

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    ...Ever since I run Factory I always check /boot/grub/menu.lst after kernel update. It was almost empty after update (no menu lines)...
    As a multi-booter and always with openSUSE 11.1's Grub booting from mbr, I have to check and edit /boot/grub/menu.lst after every kernel update, because it drops the odd parameter, or changes disk addresses in other distro definitions, within the menu.lst of openSUSE.

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    As a multi-booter and always with openSUSE 11.1's Grub booting from mbr, I have to check and edit /boot/grub/menu.lst after every kernel update, because it drops the odd parameter, or changes disk addresses in other distro definitions, within the menu.lst of openSUSE.
    Make a grub partition!

Making a Dedicated Grub Partition

Makes life sooooo much easier.

(I think some people put knoppix on it too, as a rescue - I reason if you've got more than one distro there's little point.)

...also, the point of transferring the important information from the distro's menu.lst across to the grub partition's one, when you can just let the distro's bootloaders do the actual booting, eludes me.

My menu.lst looks like this.

Code:
    default 0
    timeout 8
    gfxmenu (hd0,1)/boot/message

title Suse
        rootnoverify (hd0,1)
        chainloader +1

title Arch
        rootnoverify (hd0,2)
        chainloader +1

title Debian
        rootnoverify (hd0,6)
        chainloader +1
    And I haven't broken it yet.

All testers should know how to use the grub menu editor

Quote Originally Posted by dale14846 View Post
    Agreed, but shouldn't we keep it simple for those don't?
    Correct me if I'm wrong,but I thought we were doing this testing with an eye toward making 11.2 simple for Windows converts & newbies. After all when they come in they won't have a clue about grub.
    I'm just a curious cat
    My 64 bit: CPU AMD RYZEN 9 3900X 12 Core GPU MSI Radeon RX5600 XT
    MOTHERBOARD GIGABYTE B550 AORUS PRO AC
    Opensuse Tumbleweed Plasma 5

@Sagemta

Not really these aren't rcs now were they rcs then you have a very valid point but these are snapshots.

Put it this way you have 2 ways of dealing with them you can grab a snapshot and you find a glitch... Now you can prowl through the bug reports and the mailing lists or hit update and pray as you may find it has been fixed.

Now either way you will find the bug but without some crude understanding of bug shooting which does include using cli grub, if not then it is nothing more than a looksie. Devs haven't got the time to talk people through the simple things in tracking bugs.

Anyone bug shooting should have some basic skills even if that is as simple as actually getting a gdb bt without even understanding it, and to be able to eliminate where in the stack a problem maybe. If not then it is nothing more than a looksie and not much help to a dev. Now you may find someone on the forum or perhaps the mailing lists willing to assist. But... you may also come away with works for me, or simple one liners, or short replies of read the mailing list. Either way will leave most users with a bad taste. So eliminate it go in with the skills that can assist, you don't have to be able to write a patch but you do need to be able to investigate a bug, and give a decent report on the problem and be able to research it.

All in all I've got a little fed up as it seems a few of us have, of people running milestone releases like it is the latest. Regardless of how many times they get told, it seems we have an influx of them at the moment.

Simply put devs like wheat not chaff.
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

Quote Originally Posted by dale14846 View Post
    Not sure why you had to say this. My point was that even openSUSE 11.1 fiddles with grub entries in ways that it shouldn't.

Grub was designed so that a single menu can be configured to directly boot from multiple partitions. The "chainloader" command wasn't originally included for the purpose of booting from partitions, as it results in a second boot menu. If you don't believe me, you can read it in the grub documentation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast