3 domains on the same server?

Hello everyone,

First of all I would like to explain what I need to do… I own a server and run Suse 11.1 with Webmin on it. I set up Web, DNS and Mail servers for my main domain. Everything works fine. But now, I need to add a couple more domains to my server. I already set virtual web servers up and I can reach my main domain thru the first virtual web server. I don’t know about second one because I just configured name servers for the second domain with my domain provider. After I created the virtual web servers, the mail service stopped working for my main domain.

I need to have web & mail servers for 3 different domains. I think I’m ok with virtual servers for web but what do I need to do for mail server? I think I also need to configure the DNS server but I really don’t have any idea about what I need to do :slight_smile: Thanks in advance.

@egibjk

first you need to configure your dns server with webmin, and set things up for (www, sub-domains, mail,…) after that you need to configure your web server (apache,…) and mail server, so each domain name has own www, mail, ftp, …

Thanks for the information erik100…

When I’m configuring DNS Server, do I need to add another Master Zone? or Slave Zone? And also I will use the main domain’s nameservers, so I don’t need to add nameservers for the second and third domains right?

I use Postfix for mail server. I read an article about Virtual Domain mapping if I have more than 1 domain. Isn’t it what I need?

For each new domain name you need to create new “Master Zone” and within that new Master Zone you need to configure ns1, ns2,(IPs, names) www, mail, …
After above is done you need to configure web server (Apache), mail server (Postfix) configuration so it works with Dovecot, dovecot configuration, open ports in server firewall, router … add ssl to web server and mail server … list goes on …

I just configured a new Master Zone for each domains with ns1,ns2,www,mail,ftp etc. When I go to both domains, the same page appears. For example when I write domain1.com & domain2.com, I always see the domain1.com’s web site. I also configured the Web server, created 2 different virtual servers and index pages’ locations on the server. Everything seems ok. What am I missing here? I use the first domain’s nameservers for both domain. Is it the problem? I use ns1.domain1.com for both sites. I am trying to understand the process here…

On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 13:06 +0000, egibjk wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> First of all I would like to explain what I need to do… I own a server
> and run Suse 11.1 with Webmin on it. I set up Web, DNS and Mail servers
> for my main domain. Everything works fine. But now, I need to add a
> couple more domains to my server. I already set virtual web servers up
> and I can reach my main domain thru the first virtual web server. I
> don’t know about second one because I just configured name servers for
> the second domain with my domain provider. After I created the virtual
> web servers, the mail service stopped working for my main domain.
>
> I need to have web & mail servers for 3 different domains. I think I’m
> ok with virtual servers for web but what do I need to do for mail
> server? I think I also need to configure the DNS server but I really
> don’t have any idea about what I need to do :slight_smile: Thanks in advance.

DNS can handle multiple zones… just assign your server to be the source
of data for those zones.

With regards to postfix, just like with the webserver, you have to do
something similar. You’ll have to have MX records going to your server
for mail handling for the zones (domains) and then in postfix, depending
upon your config, you may have to setup up some virtual table stuff…
actual config will vary. Some doc is in the /etc/postfix/virtual file
itself and you can man virtual. It’s also possible that transport might
get involved… but my guess is no in your case.

Postfix might be better than sendmail… but it’s still VERY complex.
It has to be to handle all of the possible variations out there.

Read this, it covers lots of the posssible delivery variations:
http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html

In Apache needs to be configured and pointed to domain1, domain2, domain3, otherwise always the same page will be served, but when it comes to mail server Postfix is very flexible, also you need to set right priority for mail in master zone when creating ns.

I have a quick question. I configured the virtual file on postfix as below.

/etc/postfix/virtual

domain1.com DOMAIN
info@domain1.com info

domain2.net DOMAIN
test@domain2.net test

Basically, info@domain1.com’s mails go to info user and test@domain2.net’s mails go to test user. What if I want to get the same name for 2 domains, what should I do? For example if I also need info user for domain2.net and if I write it to user section, both info@domain1.com & info@domain2.net will go to the same user (info). How to separate them?

Note: I’ve tried to change one user name as info2 but then I need to login there with username: info2. I don’t want that. And also I tried to create a user as info@domain1.com but when I tried to send e-mail there, it says “unknown user: info”.

Any idea?