Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disabling screen lock?

Default Disabling screen lock?

I've got: SUSE 11.1 x86_64, KDE 4.1.3

I am a brand new user coming from the MS environment. My impression of openSUSE is that it is like moving into a new house that is well built but the rooms are full of half-constructed self-assembly furniture and appliances without any specific instructions. Nor is it clear which does what and whether all are needed or not. There is a town hall down the road where fellow homeowners gather to discuss what each has managed to deduce about putting their own furniture together. The town hall has a sort of library where thousands of pieces of paper with instructions are stored in an ad-hoc filing system

My latest problem is that I have created a screensaver via the "Configure Desktop" application and set "Enable display power management" and set some timeouts.

However, I seem to be asked for a password to unlock the screen when I come back to my computer. I have spent 2 hours trying to find the place where I can disable screen password locking but to no avail. I am perplexed and frustrated at how such an obvious function is so ********** hard to configure. This is the impression I am getting of Linux in general - it is novice user-hostile and badly organised.

Please change my impression - what is the obvious thing I have missed here?

Default Re: Disabling screen lock?

Quote Originally Posted by traderbam View Post
    I've got: SUSE 11.1 x86_64, KDE 4.1.3

I am a brand new user coming from the MS environment. My impression of openSUSE is that it is like moving into a new house that is well built but the rooms are full of half-constructed self-assembly furniture and appliances without any specific instructions. Nor is it clear which does what and whether all are needed or not. There is a town hall down the road where fellow homeowners gather to discuss what each has managed to deduce about putting their own furniture together. The town hall has a sort of library where thousands of pieces of paper with instructions are stored in an ad-hoc filing system

My latest problem is that I have created a screensaver via the "Configure Desktop" application and set "Enable display power management" and set some timeouts.

However, I seem to be asked for a password to unlock the screen when I come back to my computer. I have spent 2 hours trying to find the place where I can disable screen password locking but to no avail. I am perplexed and frustrated at how such an obvious function is so ********** hard to configure. This is the impression I am getting of Linux in general - it is novice user-hostile and badly organised.

Please change my impression - what is the obvious thing I have missed here?
    Make sure that the checkbox under: System settings > Desktop > Screen Saver - Require password to stop. is unchecked.
    Hope that helps.
    http://mydailyhash.wordpress.com/
    http://yami.googlecode.com/

Could you be more specific? I dont find system->settings->desktop

Let me try again. Could you be more specific about where this system setting is located. I cannot find it under yast->system or under applications->system.
    There is a such a lock setting under the kde->desktop configuration which IS set to no password but I think it is probably subservient to the system setting. So, If I could find it, that would be great.
    Tnx,
    Tuck

Quote Originally Posted by ram88 View Post
    Make sure that the checkbox under: System settings > Desktop > Screen Saver - Require password to stop. is unchecked.
    Hope that helps.
    Yes it is unchecked. That is, if I select "Configure Desktop" from the Application Launcher, then click on the "Desktop" icon, then click on the "Screensaver" icon. I have "Start Automatically" ticked with a 5 min timer. "Require password to stop" is unticked.

I'll try ticking it and then unticking it again to see if the lever is stuck.

I don't believe it. The lever was stuck. I ticked the box, then unticked it immediately. Now the screensaver seems to have stopped locking the screen!

Did someone forget to initialize a variable somewhere?

Try this.

Personal settings
    advanced
    power management
    uncheck lock screen on resume

Hi,

Here are some concepts to learn about Linux.

Concepts - openSUSE

I came from windows after a Vista crash rendered my computer useless. KDE 4 reminds me a lot like vista except it's not a resource hog and linux provides so much more in the form of speed, functionality, security, and productivity (for me at least).

In Linux packages are installed from repositories instead of going to individual sites. Of course a lot of sites will provide binary or source files but for the most part, a lot of the packages you'll need are in the repositories. We use Yast to handle the software.

Here's a tutorial on how to manage your repositories

Repository Management - openSUSE Forums

This teaches you some basic repositories to add and how to prioritize them for a smooth openSUSE experience.

One last thing, once you get comfortable with managing software and can work your way around the OS a bit, I would highly recommend updating to KDE 4.2 or KDE 4.3 as they are much more stable and feature rich than KDE 4.1.3. KDE is short for the K Desktop Environment and it's what provides the desktop effects and window management such as the title bar and moving windows. It's also in charge of the widgets and some of the system settings like screen saver and appearance.

To do this follow this how-to on upgrading to KDE 4.2.

KDE4.2.* (How To Add) Guide. - openSUSE Forums

Take Care,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Thanks for the tips, Ian. The concepts doc is very good. Will update KDE once I figure out how to do it.

My problem with the screen lock is not cured after all. The lock still comes on after some time, not sure how long, so it may be that there is a second cause of locking that is independent of screen savers and power modes.

Yeah, about updating KDE, use that Repository Management how-to as that will explain how to get your basic repositories added and prioritized. Once you get those down then you can follow the 4.2 how-to to upgrade to 4.2. I advised upgrading because kde 4.2 has a lot of bugfixes and feature enhancements. This locking issue might be something that's fixed in the later version of KDE.

If you have any questions about upgrading KDE after reading those documents just start a new thread about it.

Take Care,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast