gparted issue

Hi there!

I’m running a modified version of OpenSUSE 11.1 from the susestudio builder. I’ve run across a weird issue whereby gparted is unable to create anything more than an hfs filesystem.

It seems that the package libparted simply doesn’t exist in any of the repositories I’m using. I am figuring this would affect what gparted is able to do, although I’m unsure since the program itself runs fine.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

I’m surprised to hear that, I have gparted on a live disk but haven’t had reason to use it yet. Did you know you can add repositories in Studio (Software -> Add Repositories)? This might give you what you need.

Yeah, I had a lot of different repositories enabled. There weren’t many other issues, aside from this.

Haven’t found a solution yet. I have parted and gparted installed, no libparted, and gparted is still having issues making any other filesystem.

Are you using gparted as root, if you are su’ing or sudo’ing many of the filesystem utilities that are used by GParted may not be available to you.
If you click View->FileSystem support it will list the filesystems and which applications it uses for each. Note most of these require having root authority to run and as such this is a case where you have to be root to properly use it or, use the live disk which is what I would recommend.

Hello,

I’m having the same issue, and confirm what silenuz told : you have to run gparted from a su prompted terminal.

But i don’t understand why this does’nt work with sudoing, as this usually works with other distros.

And for “non terminal” users, i did not find real solution (like a launcher with xdg-su arguments for instance…) …

any ideas ?

bye
Marco

• up :wink: -