Thread: Update

Default Update

When I started with openSuse, in March of this year, the little updater applet would flash at me regularly, and and ask for permission to update/install, It sort of, I suppose just stopped (!) I don't know why, but I assumed it was still working away, and auto-updating as it thought needed, and as my machine was working, I sort of forgot about it. If I clicked on it, it would say "checking for updates".
    Today, I was wandering around, lost, in YAST and hit the "update" button. At least an hour of "urgent" "needed" or "recommended" stuff came flooding in and installed, invoking a session restart and a system re-boot. Why would my little applet thing have stopped auto-updating? It obviously was not doing any such thing. Should I just get rid of it, if it is not working?, and manually invoke YAST when I think of it?

Tumbleweed/KDE/Ati Radeon R9 270/AMD FX-6300/8Gb DDR3

Blog Entries

Default Re: Update

Sounds like it is working to me. I never use it myself. Do everything from software management, manually.

[edit] Sorry you mean you went to Updates in Yast. Did you check the configuration of the applet?
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

I've seen it do this myself - it 'sticks', and you have to 'unstick' it by manually updating. Personally, not trusting the thing, I just reasoned that if I have to remember to update every so often anyway, I'll just turn it off, and develop that habit instead - and it hasn't been a problem.

You could maybe rig up a cronjob that calls zypper every so often, if you aren't happy with such a solution. Though I wouldn't know how.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuseling View Post
    You could maybe rig up a cronjob that calls zypper every so often, if you aren't happy with such a solution. Though I wouldn't know how.
    Now you are just taking the mickey now!

I will just tell it not to start and remind myself to visit "planet Yast" from time to time....
    TY for teh answers, anyway

I'm quite serious: I wouldn't have a clue

I'm just letting you know that it's the sort of thing that sounds within the realm of possibility.

Yes!
    within the realm of possibility.
    I am currently a bad odour on the forum, so I shall not finish my answer neither shall I ask any further question.........

Quote Originally Posted by wakou View Post
    When I started with openSuse, in March of this year, the little updater applet would flash at me regularly, and and ask for permission to update/install, It sort of, I suppose just stopped (!) I don't know why, but I assumed it was still working away, and auto-updating as it thought needed, and as my machine was working, I sort of forgot about it. If I clicked on it, it would say "checking for updates".
    Today, I was wandering around, lost, in YAST and hit the "update" button. At least an hour of "urgent" "needed" or "recommended" stuff came flooding in and installed, invoking a session restart and a system re-boot. Why would my little applet thing have stopped auto-updating? It obviously was not doing any such thing. Should I just get rid of it, if it is not working?, and manually invoke YAST when I think of it?
    Try open yast2-software-online update configuration, you may need to un-check the box on automatic online update.

When you want to update manually you can use the terminal and type you
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

Thank-you for that little gem, conram, I never have heard of it, it goes straight into my "precious hints" file.......

"you"............
    I must be learning the "language" of suse the wrong way, or upside-down...
    Honestly; thank-you....

Thumbs up Re: Update

Quote Originally Posted by conram
    When you want to update manually you can use the terminal and type "you"
    Quote Originally Posted by me(wakou)
    Thank-you for that little gem, conram, I never have heard of it, it goes straight into my "precious hints" file.......

"you"............
    I must be learning the "language" of suse the wrong way, or upside-down...
    Honestly; thank-you....
    I was just now re-reading yesterday's correspondence, and realised that my reply might have been interpreted as being sarcastic or "ironic". It was NOT, I have honestly never before come across the cmd "you", and I genuinely think that it is one of the handiest tips ever! Rep points to conram!

Quote Originally Posted by conram
    Try open yast2-software-online update configuration, you may need to un-check the box on automatic online update.
    I just tried this and got an "ERK!" message, I guess because of the update servers being off-line atm???
    I will leave alone until Monday........

Quote Originally Posted by wakou View Post
    I was just now re-reading yesterday's correspondence, and realised that my reply might have been interpreted as being sarcastic or "ironic". It was NOT, I have honestly never before come across the cmd "you", and I genuinely think that it is one of the handiest tips ever! Rep points to conram!

I just tried this and got an "ERK!" message, I guess because of the update servers being off-line atm???
    I will leave alone until Monday........
    Hi wakou,

I didn't find it sarcastic or offensive. It's not a problem. Thanks for appreciating my tiny contribution to your file.

Cheers,
    conram
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything