Network not working.

Hi,

I recently got a new laptop - HP Pavillion DV6 - 1211AX. I just installed suse 11.1, KDE 4.1 (64 bit) in it, but I am not able to start the network.

The network card is “[size=2]Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller”. I tried changes in network management by changing to “control with traditional method” and set the network to start at boot time. But that also does not work.

Can anybody give me any pointers as where to look for errors or what is wrong?

Thanks in advance…
[/size]

I just checked the HP site HP Pavilion dv6-1211ax Entertainment Notebook PC - Product Specifications - HP Customer Care (India - English) and it says the network card is “Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)”.

I think we need more information. You say “Network not working”, probably meaning that your system does not connect to the network. How do you know this? Is your NIC down? Or can you not ping any other systems/router in the LAN?

And while you are at giving the respons, you can also give the output of:

ifconfig -a

and

netstat -r

As you say you have tried several ways to configure, please add what way you used to make the status we are now at.

BTW “10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)” only says that is is an normal ethernet card and I hope you have put a cable in th RJ-45 connector :wink:

Thanks HCW for the reply…
Ok, may be from the subject line it may seem something else… Sorry for that.
I actually can not browse the web. I use firefox for surfing and it gives me error like ‘Address not found’. I do not know if I can change the subject line.

**Here is the o/p of what you asked for:
linux-270b:/home/vivek # ifconfig -a
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:26:9E:10:D3:46
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:138 errors:0 dropped:6415513124 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:10733 (10.4 Kb) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Interrupt:250 Base address:0x6000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:114 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:114 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:8020 (7.8 Kb) TX bytes:8020 (7.8 Kb)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:22:5F:D4:38:EB
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

wmaster0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-22-5F-D4-38-EB-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

linux-270b:/home/vivek # netstat -r
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface
loopback * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
linux-270b:/home/vivek #

One, I tried to connect without making any changes to network settings. i.e. “User Controlled with NetworkManager”.
Second, I switched to “Traditional Method with ifup” in network settings and set the “wlan0” to “activate at boot time”.

Both of these did not work… I was also going through another thread
As per the suggestions here, I installed Kernel Development. But, I do not know from where or how to get the driver for my card.

Oh yes, I did put a cable and also checked that the lights which illuminate when cable is plugged rightly are on :slight_smile:

Thanks for the information. On some points it is a bit bewildering to me. I will make some remakrks that come to mind in no particular order.

It would be nice when you would post the computer output in bwteen CODE tags (select the text and use the # sign from the signs above the input field). This will avoid the smileys in the text and also preserve the layout of the computer output. Nevertheless I can read what you provided.

You are talking about putting the cable into the ethernet port (on my vile instigation), that is most probably eth0. You also talk about configuring wlan0, which is the wireless LAN. Now, which of both do you intend to use and are we talking about?

You are already trying FF to the Internet, but you should do this step by step. First step is to see if your NIC is correctly configured. Next step is: can I connect to my router. Third step: can I connect to the Internet. Last step: can I use DNS reolving from the Internet.

First step.
The *ifconfig -a *ouput shows that neither eth0 nor wlan0 has an IP address. Then of course no traffic is possible. The netstat -r shows also that nothing is realy configured. We must remedy this first.

I propose to use traditional with ifup. If this is not a laptop which you want to take to all sort of different places, that is still the best way to configure IMHO. The next question to you is then: do you use DHCP (from your router) or do you want to give th system a fixed IP address.

In both cases goto YaST > Network > Network interfaces. Now you are probably on 11.1 and I am on 10.3, but the basics are the same. Choose “traditional with ifup” (you did that before). Choose the NIC you want to configure. For the momemnt I take that this is eth0. Fill in the correct IP address and netmask (ask if you are in doubt what to use). Go to Routing and fill in the address of your router for the “default”. Finish. Check with ifconfig -a and netstat -r again.

Second step.
Try

ping <IP-address of your router>

and come back here.

Yes and no, have a look at this:

linux-270b:/home/vivek # ifconfig -a
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:26:9E:10:D3:46
RX packets:**138** errors:0 dropped:**6415513124** overruns:0 frame:0
RX bytes:10733 (10.4 Kb) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

Something is very wrong her, still, without further information (exact identification of the hardware including the PCI-ID, system log entries related to the card, etc.) the chances are rather small or it will be only a “lucky guess” to find out what’s really causing this problem.

(My crystal ball also tells me, it might be important to know if this machine is a Win/Linux dual boot or if at least some Windows was installed before.)

Thanks hcvv for being so patient with me :)… I was really waiting for your reply and in the meanwhile looking on the net for any possible solutions…

Actually these smileys did peturb me also but I didn’t knew how to replace them.Now I am going to try what you said next time.

Yes, I am talking about configuring eth0, typing wlan0 was just a mistake… forgive me for that :). We can leave wlan0 as I do not use wireless networking.

Mine is HP laptop(HP Pavillion dv6-1211AX). You can read the hardware specifications here HP Pavilion dv6-1211ax Entertainment Notebook PC*-* Product Specifications - HP Customer Care (India - English).

I use DHCP, I do not have any fixed IP… It keeps changing. And yes. I am not sure if I have a router or not. I connect to the net using a cable which is connected to a dish through this device: PowerDsine PD-3001/AC — VoIP Supply.
Right I am connecting to the net through Windows OS which I am dual booting with SUSE. So it might take some time till I get back after doing what you have told me.

I have not any knowledge of networking so please be patient with me :slight_smile:
Thanks for you help…

Yes Akoellh, mine is a dual boot system. I had Windows Vista Home Premium which comes pre-installed and then I installed SUSE 11.1, 64 bit OS myself. (I had installed 32 bit suse also and it had same problem.

Please let me know what logs do you need and from where can I get them…

Getting Your Wireless to Work - openSUSE Forums

That is nice, but does the OP want to use his wireless now or his cable?

Cable… I do not have wireless connection :slight_smile:

Actually reading the linked post will give you the answer.

I will execute these two scripts and come back and report…

Here is the output of the script:

collectNWData.sh V0.6.1.15 (Rev: 1.165, Build: 2009/09/02 18:39:22)
--- Which type of your network connection should be tested?
--- (1) Wired connection
--- What's the type of networktopology?
--- (1) DSL modem <---> LinuxClient
--- On which host is the script executed?
--- (1) LinuxClient
!!! CND0120E: Network card eth0 has no IP address
!!! CND0300E: No dhcp server found on interface eth0
!!! CND0230W: IPV6 enabled
!!! CND0310W: Classic network configuration with ifup was detected. Configuration with knetworkmanager is much easier
--- Go to http://www.linux-tips-and-tricks.de/CND#English to get more detailed instructions about the error/warning messages and how to fix the problems
--- If you still don't have success then post the contents of file collectNWData.txt in the net (see http://www.linux-tips-and-tricks.de/CND_UPL#English for links) and then the nopaste link on your favorite Linux forum.
==================================================================================================================
==================================================================================================================
*** uname -a
Linux linux-270b 2.6.27.7-9-default #1 SMP 2008-12-04 18:10:04 +0100 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
*** cat /etc/*-release
LSB_VERSION="core-2.0-noarch:core-3.2-noarch:core-2.0-x86_64:core-3.2-x86_64"
openSUSE 11.1 (x86_64)
VERSION = 11.1
*** cat /etc/resolv | grep -vi "search"
*** cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost
127.0.0.2       linux-270b.site linux-270b
*** cat /etc/HOSTNAME
linux-270b.site
*** route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
*** ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr ##:##:##:##:##:#1  
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:138 errors:0 dropped:3118623040 overruns:0 frame:0
          RX bytes:13412 (13.0 Kb)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
          Interrupt:250 Base address:0x4000 
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:76 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:76 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:4832 (4.7 Kb)  TX bytes:4832 (4.7 Kb)
wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr ##:##:##:##:##:#2  
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
wmaster0  Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr 00-22-5F-D4-38-EB-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00  
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
*** ping tests
connect: Network is unreachable
Ping of 195.135.220.3 failed
ping: unknown host www.suse.de
Ping of www.suse.de failed
*** dhcpcd-test
eth0: No DHCP server detected
*** lspci
08:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) [168c:002a] (rev 01)
09:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 03)
*** lsusb
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 006: ID 093a:2510 Pixart Imaging, Inc. 
Bus 005 Device 005: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
Bus 005 Device 004: ID 064e:a127 Suyin Corp. 
Bus 005 Device 003: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 0bc2:2100 Seagate RSS LLC 
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 138a:0001  
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 046d:c517 Logitech, Inc. LX710 Cordless Desktop Laser
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
*** hwinfo --netcard; # (filtered)
33: PCI 800.0: 0282 WLAN controller
  Model: "Atheros AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)"
  Vendor: pci 0x168c "Atheros Communications Inc."
  Device: pci 0x002a "AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)"
  SubVendor: pci 0x103c "Hewlett-Packard Company"
  SubDevice: pci 0x3042 
  Driver: "ath9k"
  Driver Modules: "ath9k"
  Device File: wlan0
  Link detected: yes
    Driver Status: ath9k is active
    Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe ath9k"
34: PCI 900.0: 0200 Ethernet controller
  Model: "Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller"
  Vendor: pci 0x10ec "Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd."
  Device: pci 0x8168 "RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller"
  SubDevice: pci 0x3061 
  Driver: "r8169"
  Driver Modules: "r8169"
  Device File: eth0
  Link detected: no
    Driver Status: r8169 is active
    Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe r8169"
*** lsmod
| ac                      | af_packet               | ahci                    | arc4                     |
| ata_generic             | ath9k                   | atiixp                  | battery                  |
| binfmt_misc             | button                  | cdrom                   | cfg80211                 |
| compat_ioctl32          | cpufreq_conservative    | cpufreq_powersave       | cpufreq_userspace        |
| crc_t10dif              | crypto_blkcipher        | dm_mod                  | dock                     |
| ecb                     | edd                     | ehci_hcd                | ext3                     |
| fan                     | ff_memless              | fuse                    | hid                      |
| hwmon                   | i2c_core                | i2c_piix4               | ide_core                 |
| ide_pci_generic         | ip6table_filter         | ip6table_mangle         | ip6table_raw             |
| ip6_tables              | ip6t_LOG                | ip6t_REJECT             | iptable_filter           |
| iptable_raw             | ip_tables               | ipt_LOG                 | ipt_REJECT               |
| ipv6                    | jbd                     | joydev                  | libata                   |
| loop                    | mac80211                | mbcache                 | mii                      |
| nf_conntrack            | nf_conntrack_ipv4       | nf_conntrack_ipv6       | nf_conntrack_netbios_ns  |
| ohci_hcd                | output                  | pata_atiixp             | pcspkr                   |
| powernow_k8             | processor               | r8169                   | rtc_cmos                 |
| rtc_core                | rtc_lib                 | scsi_mod                | sd_mod                   |
| sg                      | snd                     | snd_hda_intel           | snd_hwdep                |
| snd_mixer_oss           | snd_page_alloc          | snd_pcm                 | snd_pcm_oss              |
| snd_seq                 | snd_seq_device          | snd_timer               | soundcore                |
| sr_mod                  | thermal                 | thermal_sys             | usbcore                  |
| usbhid                  | usb_storage             | uvcvideo                | v4l1_compat              |
| video                   | videodev                | wmi                     | x_tables                 |
| xt_limit                | xt_NOTRACK              | xt_pkttype              | xt_state                 |
| xt_tcpudp               |
*** cat /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-[earwd]* | egrep -v ".*=''"
*** cat /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth0
BOOTPROTO='dhcp'
NAME='RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller'
STARTMODE='auto'
USERCONTROL='no'
*** cat /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-wlan0
BOOTPROTO='dhcp'
NAME='AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)'
STARTMODE='auto'
USERCONTROL='yes'
WIRELESS_AUTH_MODE='open'
WIRELESS_BITRATE='auto'
WIRELESS_DEFAULT_KEY='@@@@@@'
WIRELESS_KEY_LENGTH='@@@@@@'
WIRELESS_MODE='Managed'
WIRELESS_POWER='yes'
*** NWEliza states
IF:eth0  IM:1
IF:wlan0  IM:2
DI:2 dI:2 NIC:1 cNiC:1:1 NI:2 cNI:2 DHCP:1 NIWD:0 CM:0 IP6:1 KM:0 WLW: 0 

I think this might also solve my problem - Linux picks wrong driver for RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
I have the same network card and opensuse installed r8169 instead of r8168 on my system too. I checked that.

But, I am not able to delete r8169 files from my system, tried to delete them with root but could not. And I am not sure which all packages should I install for r8168. Are these two packages suffcient or will I need some more packages:

1. r8168-kmp-default-8.013.00_2.6.27.7_9.1-1.1.x86_64.rpm
  2. r8168-kmp-trace-8.013.00_2.6.27.7_9.1-1.1.x86_64.rpm

Can anyone help with these???

And I also have that card and it works fine with that “wrong” driver (which is not the wrong one).

But, I don’t have Windows installed on my machine.

Gentoo Wiki Archives - RTL8168

• Do not delete anything

• If the link above does not help and you really think you need to install a r8168 package, then choose the right one (and only one will be the right one).

Choosing the correct kmp-package for your installation - openSUSE Forums

On my system both drivers work for the card (of yourse only one at a time).

lspci -nnk |grep -A2 -i realtek
14:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 02)
**        Kernel driver in use: r8169
        Kernel modules: r8169, r8168**

If so, then where is the sense in this?

BOOTPROTO='dhcp'
**STARTMODE='auto'**
USERCONTROL='yes'
WIRELESS_BITRATE='auto'
WIRELESS_MODE='Managed'
WIRELESS_POWER='yes'

Configuring a device to “auto” connect to a wireless network when I don’t have one is completely senseless.

Akoellh,

I do not so much about networking, I will say I do not know “anything” about networking. So whatever you can see with just a glimpse, I can not even understand. This is the first time I am having such problems with suse(or rightly put, problems due to things I do not know)… So I am just counting upon someone somewhere to guide me on what I can do, or from where I can know what to do.

I really appreciate your patience with me, honestly…

Back to the topic. I am not sure how wlan0 got configures, may be in my desperation I would have done that. So should I set it to never start?? Is it causing problems with my DSL connection??

And yes, I can not do away with windows partition because there is only one system in my home and I can not force all others to use an OS which I prefer… ;).

But I tried to fix this problem as per my previous thread. Can you please look into this and let me know what is wrong here…
I removed r8169 driver through command “modprobe -rv r8169” after stopping the network using “rcnetwork stop”. Installed r8168-kmp-default-8.013.00_2.6.27.7_9.1-1.1.x86_64.rpm (Mine is 64 bit OS with “Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller” network card. Installed module for r8168 with “insmod /lib/modules/2.6.27.7-9-default/updates/r8168.ko”. Started network again with “rcnetwork start”. Still can not use networking, rebooted system and still nothing.
Here is the output of a script after doing all this:

collectNWData.sh V0.6.1.15 (Rev: 1.165, Build: 2009/09/02 18:39:22)
--- Which type of your network connection should be tested?
--- (1) Wired connection
--- What's the type of networktopology?
--- (1) DSL modem <---> LinuxClient
--- On which host is the script executed?
--- (1) LinuxClient
!!! CND0110E: For the selected connection type there was no active network interface found on your system
!!! CND0310W: Classic network configuration with ifup was detected. Configuration with knetworkmanager is much easier
--- Go to http://www.linux-tips-and-tricks.de/CND#English to get more detailed instructions about the error/warning messages and how to fix the problems
--- If you still don't have success then post the contents of file collectNWData.txt in the net (see http://www.linux-tips-and-tricks.de/CND_UPL#English for links) and then the nopaste link on your favorite Linux forum.
*** uname -a
Linux linux-x3zq 2.6.27.7-9-default #1 SMP 2008-12-04 18:10:04 +0100 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
*** cat /etc/*-release
LSB_VERSION="core-2.0-noarch:core-3.2-noarch:core-2.0-x86_64:core-3.2-x86_64"
openSUSE 11.1 (x86_64)
VERSION = 11.1
*** cat /etc/resolv | grep -vi "search"
*** cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost
127.0.0.2       linux-x3zq.site linux-x3zq
*** cat /etc/HOSTNAME
linux-x3zq.site
*** route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
*** ifconfig
          RX packets:90 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:90 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:5892 (5.7 Kb)  TX bytes:5892 (5.7 Kb)
wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr ##:##:##:##:##:#1
wmaster0  Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr 00-22-5F-D4-38-EB-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
*** ping tests
connect: Network is unreachable
Ping of 195.135.220.3 failed
ping: unknown host www.suse.de
Ping of www.suse.de failed
*** dhcpcd-test
*** lspci
08:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) [168c:002a] (rev 01)
09:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 03)
*** lsusb
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 006: ID 093a:2510 Pixart Imaging, Inc.
Bus 005 Device 005: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
Bus 005 Device 004: ID 064e:a127 Suyin Corp.
Bus 005 Device 003: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 0bc2:2100 Seagate RSS LLC
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 138a:0001
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 046d:c517 Logitech, Inc. LX710 Cordless Desktop Laser
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
*** hwinfo --netcard; # (filtered)
33: PCI 800.0: 0282 WLAN controller
  Model: "Atheros AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)"
  Vendor: pci 0x168c "Atheros Communications Inc."
  Device: pci 0x002a "AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)"
  SubDevice: pci 0x3042
  Driver: "ath9k"
  Driver Modules: "ath9k"
  Device File: wlan0
    Driver Status: ath9k is active
    Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe ath9k"
34: PCI 900.0: 0200 Ethernet controller
  Model: "Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller"
  Vendor: pci 0x10ec "Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd."
  Device: pci 0x8168 "RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller"
  SubDevice: pci 0x3061
  Driver: "r8168"
  Driver Modules: "r8168"
  Device File: eth0
    Driver Status: r8168 is active
    Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe r8168"
*** lsmod
| ac                      | af_packet               | ahci                    | arc4                     |
| ata_generic             | ath9k                   | atiixp                  | battery                  |
| binfmt_misc             | button                  | cdrom                   | cfg80211                 |
| compat_ioctl32          | cpufreq_conservative    | cpufreq_powersave       | cpufreq_userspace        |
| crc_t10dif              | crypto_blkcipher        | dm_mod                  | dock                     |
| ecb                     | edd                     | ehci_hcd                | ext3                     |
| fan                     | ff_memless              | fuse                    | hid                      |
| hwmon                   | i2c_core                | i2c_piix4               | ide_core                 |
| ide_pci_generic         | ip6_tables              | iptable_filter          | iptable_raw              |
| ip_tables               | ipt_LOG                 | ipt_REJECT              | jbd                      |
| joydev                  | libata                  | loop                    | mac80211                 |
| mbcache                 | nf_conntrack            | nf_conntrack_ipv4       | nf_conntrack_netbios_ns  |
| ohci_hcd                | output                  | pata_atiixp             | pcspkr                   |
| powernow_k8             | ppp_generic             | processor               | r8168                    |
| rtc_cmos                | rtc_core                | rtc_lib                 | scsi_mod                 |
| sd_mod                  | sg                      | slhc                    | snd                      |
| snd_hda_intel           | snd_hwdep               | snd_mixer_oss           | snd_page_alloc           |
| snd_pcm                 | snd_pcm_oss             | snd_seq                 | snd_seq_device           |
| snd_timer               | soundcore               | sr_mod                  | thermal                  |
| thermal_sys             | usbcore                 | usbhid                  | usb_storage              |
| uvcvideo                | v4l1_compat             | video                   | videodev                 |
| wmi                     | x_tables                | xt_limit                | xt_NOTRACK               |
| xt_pkttype              | xt_state                | xt_tcpudp               |
*** cat /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-[earwd]* | egrep -v ".*=''"
*** cat /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-dsl0
BOOTPROTO='none'
DEVICE='eth0'
MODEM_IP='10.0.0.138'
NAME='DSL Connection'
PPPMODE='pppoe'
PROVIDER='provider0'
STARTMODE='auto'
USERCONTROL='yes'
*** cat /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth0
BOOTPROTO='dhcp'
NAME='RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller'
STARTMODE='auto'
USERCONTROL='yes'
*** cat /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-wlan0
BOOTPROTO='dhcp'
STARTMODE='auto'
USERCONTROL='yes'
WIRELESS_BITRATE='auto'
WIRELESS_MODE='Managed'
WIRELESS_POWER='yes'
*** NWEliza states
IF:wlan0  IM:2
DI:1 dI:1 NI:1 cNI:1 NIWD:0 IP6:0 KM:0 WLW: 0

And some of command outputs that may say something:

linux-x3zq:/home/vivek # find /lib/modules/$(uname -r) -name "r81*.ko"
/lib/modules/2.6.27.7-9-default/updates/r8168.ko
linux-x3zq:/home/vivek # find / -iname "r81*"
/lib/modules/2.6.27.7-9-default/updates/r8168.ko
/var/cache/zypp/raw/r8168
/var/cache/zypp/packages/r8168
/var/cache/zypp/solv/r8168
/sys/bus/pci/drivers/r8168
/sys/module/r8168
/etc/zypp/repos.d/r8168.repo
linux-x3zq:/home/vivek # netstat -r
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
loopback        *               255.0.0.0       U         0 0          0 lo
linux-x3zq:/home/vivek # ifconfig -a
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00
          BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

RX packets:60 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:60 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:3696 (3.6 Kb)  TX bytes:3696 (3.6 Kb)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:22:5F:D4:38:EB

Right now I am going through Choosing the correct kmp-package for your installation - openSUSE Forums.

Windows by defaults disables the NIC at Windows shutdown time in order to disable Wake-On-Lan, and this NIC will remain disabled until the next time Windows turns it on.

This is sheer crap :|… why does windows need to do this. I will try the remedy and now I really have to think if I can remove Windows partition entirely. rotfl!

What the are you doing here?

Instead of deactivating the unneeded connection for wireless you don’t have you add and auto-activate another (DSL) connnection you don’t have?

Sorry, but I won’t take over common sense (aka “thinking”) for you (and if you really have a direct connection to a DSL modem instead of a router, then WHY didn’t you say so before?).