Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Network not working.

Default Network not working.

Hi,

I recently got a new laptop - HP Pavillion DV6 - 1211AX. I just installed suse 11.1, KDE 4.1 (64 bit) in it, but I am not able to start the network.

The network card is "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller". I tried changes in network management by changing to "control with traditional method" and set the network to start at boot time. But that also does not work.

Can anybody give me any pointers as where to look for errors or what is wrong?

Thanks in advance...
    --
    Vivek Bhat
    Linux User #496540
    Dell 620 S Desktop, 8GB, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz, openSuSE Leap 42.1
    +Plasma 5, Kernel 4.1.20-11-default x86_64

Default Re: Network not working.

I just checked the HP site HP Pavilion dv6-1211ax Entertainment Notebook PC- Product Specifications - HP Customer Care (India - English) and it says the network card is "Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)".
    --
    Vivek Bhat
    Linux User #496540
    Dell 620 S Desktop, 8GB, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz, openSuSE Leap 42.1

I think we need more information. You say "Network not working", probably meaning that your system does not connect to the network. How do you know this? Is your NIC down? Or can you not ping any other systems/router in the LAN?

And while you are at giving the respons, you can also give the output of:
    Code:
    ifconfig -a
    and
    Code:
    netstat -r
    As you say you have tried several ways to configure, please add what way you used to make the status we are now at.

BTW "10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)" only says that is is an normal ethernet card and I hope you have put a cable in th RJ-45 connector
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I think we need more information. You say "Network not working", probably meaning that your system does not connect to the network. How do you know this? Is your NIC down? Or can you not ping any other systems/router in the LAN?
    Thanks HCW for the reply..
    Ok, may be from the subject line it may seem something else... Sorry for that.
    I actually can not browse the web. I use firefox for surfing and it gives me error like 'Address not found'. I do not know if I can change the subject line.

And while you are at giving the respons, you can also give the output of:
    Code:
    ifconfig -a
    and
    Code:
    netstat -r
    Here is the o/p of what you asked for:
    linux-270b:/home/vivek # ifconfig -a
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:26:9E:103:46
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:138 errors:0 dropped:6415513124 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:10733 (10.4 Kb) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
    Interrupt:250 Base address:0x6000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:114 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:114 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:8020 (7.8 Kb) TX bytes:8020 (7.8 Kb)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:22:5F4:38:EB
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

wmaster0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-22-5F-D4-38-EB-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

linux-270b:/home/vivek # netstat -r
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface
    loopback * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
    linux-270b:/home/vivek #

As you say you have tried several ways to configure, please add what way you used to make the status we are now at.
    One, I tried to connect without making any changes to network settings. i.e. "User Controlled with NetworkManager".
    Second, I switched to "Traditional Method with ifup" in network settings and set the "wlan0" to "activate at boot time".

Both of these did not work... I was also going through another thread
    As per the suggestions here, I installed Kernel Development. But, I do not know from where or how to get the driver for my card.

BTW "10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)" only says that is is an normal ethernet card and I hope you have put a cable in th RJ-45 connector
    Oh yes, I did put a cable and also checked that the lights which illuminate when cable is plugged rightly are on
    --
    Vivek Bhat
    Linux User #496540

Thanks for the information. On some points it is a bit bewildering to me. I will make some remakrks that come to mind in no particular order.

It would be nice when you would post the computer output in bwteen CODE tags (select the text and use the # sign from the signs above the input field). This will avoid the smileys in the text and also preserve the layout of the computer output. Nevertheless I can read what you provided.

You are talking about putting the cable into the ethernet port (on my vile instigation), that is most probably eth0. You also talk about configuring wlan0, which is the wireless LAN. Now, which of both do you intend to use and are we talking about?

You are already trying FF to the Internet, but you should do this step by step. First step is to see if your NIC is correctly configured. Next step is: can I connect to my router. Third step: can I connect to the Internet. Last step: can I use DNS reolving from the Internet.

First step.
    The ifconfig -a ouput shows that neither eth0 nor wlan0 has an IP address. Then of course no traffic is possible. The netstat -r shows also that nothing is realy configured. We must remedy this first.

I propose to use traditional with ifup. If this is not a laptop which you want to take to all sort of different places, that is still the best way to configure IMHO. The next question to you is then: do you use DHCP (from your router) or do you want to give th system a fixed IP address.

In both cases goto YaST > Network > Network interfaces. Now you are probably on 11.1 and I am on 10.3, but the basics are the same. Choose "traditional with ifup" (you did that before). Choose the NIC you want to configure. For the momemnt I take that this is eth0. Fill in the correct IP address and netmask (ask if you are in doubt what to use). Go to Routing and fill in the address of your router for the "default". Finish. Check with ifconfig -a and netstat -r again.

Second step.
    Try
    Code:
    ping <IP-address of your router>
    and come back here.
    Henk van Velden

First step.
    The ifconfig -a ouput shows that neither eth0 nor wlan0 has an IP address. Then of course no traffic is possible.
    Yes and no, have a look at this:

Code:
    linux-270b:/home/vivek # ifconfig -a
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:26:9E:10:D3:46
    RX packets:138 errors:0 dropped:6415513124 overruns:0 frame:0
    RX bytes:10733 (10.4 Kb) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
    Interrupt:250 Base address:0x6000
    Something is very wrong her, still, without further information (exact identification of the hardware including the PCI-ID, system log entries related to the card, etc.) the chances are rather small or it will be only a "lucky guess" to find out what's really causing this problem.

(My crystal ball also tells me, it might be important to know if this machine is a Win/Linux dual boot or if at least some Windows was installed before.)

Thanks for the information. On some points it is a bit bewildering to me. I will make some remakrks that come to mind in no particular order.

It would be nice when you would post the computer output in bwteen CODE tags (select the text and use the # sign from the signs above the input field). This will avoid the smileys in the text and also preserve the layout of the computer output. Nevertheless I can read what you provided.

You are talking about putting the cable into the ethernet port (on my vile instigation), that is most probably eth0. You also talk about configuring wlan0, which is the wireless LAN. Now, which of both do you intend to use and are we talking about?

You are already trying FF to the Internet, but you should do this step by step. First step is to see if your NIC is correctly configured. Next step is: can I connect to my router. Third step: can I connect to the Internet. Last step: can I use DNS reolving from the Internet.

First step.
    The ifconfig -a ouput shows that neither eth0 nor wlan0 has an IP address. Then of course no traffic is possible. The netstat -r shows also that nothing is realy configured. We must remedy this first.

I propose to use traditional with ifup. If this is not a laptop which you want to take to all sort of different places, that is still the best way to configure IMHO. The next question to you is then: do you use DHCP (from your router) or do you want to give th system a fixed IP address.

In both cases goto YaST > Network > Network interfaces. Now you are probably on 11.1 and I am on 10.3, but the basics are the same. Choose "traditional with ifup" (you did that before). Choose the NIC you want to configure. For the momemnt I take that this is eth0. Fill in the correct IP address and netmask (ask if you are in doubt what to use). Go to Routing and fill in the address of your router for the "default". Finish. Check with ifconfig -a and netstat -r again.

Second step.
    Try
    Code:
    ping <IP-address of your router>
    and come back here.
    Thanks hcvv for being so patient with me ... I was really waiting for your reply and in the meanwhile looking on the net for any possible solutions...

Actually these smileys did peturb me also but I didn't knew how to replace them.Now I am going to try what you said next time.

Yes, I am talking about configuring eth0, typing wlan0 was just a mistake.. forgive me for that . We can leave wlan0 as I do not use wireless networking.

Mine is HP laptop(HP Pavillion dv6-1211AX). You can read the hardware specifications here HP Pavilion dv6-1211ax Entertainment Notebook PC*-* Product Specifications - HP Customer Care (India - English).

I use DHCP, I do not have any fixed IP.. It keeps changing. And yes. I am not sure if I have a router or not. I connect to the net using a cable which is connected to a dish through this device: PowerDsine PD-3001/AC &mdash; VoIP Supply.
    Right I am connecting to the net through Windows OS which I am dual booting with SUSE. So it might take some time till I get back after doing what you have told me.

I have not any knowledge of networking so please be patient with me
    Thanks for you help...
    --
    Vivek Bhat
    Linux User #496540

Quote Originally Posted by Akoellh View Post
    Yes and no, have a look at this:

Something is very wrong her, still, without further information (exact identification of the hardware including the PCI-ID, system log entries related to the card, etc.) the chances are rather small or it will be only a "lucky guess" to find out what's really causing this problem.

(My crystal ball also tells me, it might be important to know if this machine is a Win/Linux dual boot or if at least some Windows was installed before.)
    Yes Akoellh, mine is a dual boot system. I had Windows Vista Home Premium which comes pre-installed and then I installed SUSE 11.1, 64 bit OS myself. (I had installed 32 bit suse also and it had same problem.

Please let me know what logs do you need and from where can I get them...
    --
    Vivek Bhat
    Linux User #496540

That is nice, but does the OP want to use his wireless now or his cable?
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast