boot theme

currently using, openSuSE v11.1 kde v4.3.1.

i have, bootsplash, splashy, kdm4 installed.

im trying to install the ‘fingerprint’ theme upon boot.

I have autologin enabled for kde. I’ve tried to install it via splashy, ‘splashy_config --set-theme fingerprint’ and it works when i do ‘splashy --test fingerprint’ but when i reboot it doesnt implement it. same old green theme.

have also tried to install it through ‘login manager’ it says its loaded but again, reboot and same default opensuse green logos.

any suggestions would be appreciated, ive been following instruction from the theme located at kde-look.org. it looks fantastic.

did online upddates… opensuse v11.1 dvd install, 1 click kde 4.3.1 upgrade, few updates.

managed to get a fingerprint bootscreen from grub to the loading screen part 1, second stage it still likes to revert back to the default opensuse logo for loading. not sure why ? kdm ? have tried to set the theme, have moodin plugin installed. if anyone has knowledge or any suggestions it would be appreciated.

trying to get the fingerprint theme working for the loading screen, where each finger loads, instead othe default opensuse login. looks like second stage is where it defaults back to, not sure why.

5c

I know what you want. On my laptop, from GRUB upto KDE4 desktop there’s one background. This is fake. I had to modify the /boot/message file, copy and edit a /etc/bootsplash/themes/??, and had to copy and edit the KDM login manager theme. So now you know the three parts where you set this all:
/boot/message (it’s a binary file, google for how to deal with it)
/etc/bootsplash/themes
~/.kde4/share/apps/kdm/themes

But please, start reading first. This requires some basic linux and graphics understanding.

ootsplash:- (loading graphics before kdm)

1:- extract ‘29662-fingerprint-bs.tar.gz’ to ‘/etc/bootsplash/themes/’
2:- edit ‘/etc/bootsplash/themes/fingerprint-bs/config/bootsplash-1024x768.cfg’ making sure the picture files/paths are correct.
3:- edit ‘/etc/sysconfig/bootsplash’ making sure THEME= whatever the directory name is, under /etc/bootsplash/themes/.
(for instance mine:- ‘THEME=“fingerprint-bs”’)
4:- konsole type ‘mkinitrd’

ksplash:- (loading graphics after kdm)

1:- konsole type ‘kcmshell4 ksplashthememgr’
2:- select ‘install theme file’ and select ‘login-scan-splash.tar.gz’ the 5mb version for KDE4.

my system is, opensuse 11.1 + bootsplash + KDE v4.3.4

bootsplash:- (loading graphics before kdm)

1:- extract ‘29662-fingerprint-bs.tar.gz’ to ‘/etc/bootsplash/themes/’
2:- edit ‘/etc/bootsplash/themes/fingerprint-bs/config/bootsplash-1024x768.cfg’ making sure the picture files/paths are correct.
3:- edit ‘/etc/sysconfig/bootsplash’ making sure THEME= whatever the directory name is, under /etc/bootsplash/themes/.
(for instance mine:- ‘THEME=“fingerprint-bs”’)
4:- konsole and type ‘mkinitrd’

ksplash:- (loading graphics after kdm)

1:- konsole type ‘kcmshell4 ksplashthememgr’
2:- select ‘install theme file’ and select ‘login-scan-splash.tar.gz’ the 5mb version for KDE4.

kdm:- (fingerprint theme for kdm)

1:- sudo zypper in kdebase3-kdm
2:- extract ‘login-scan-fusion-0-3-1.tar.gz’ into ‘/opt/kde3/share/apps/kdm/themes/’
3:- yast2 -> system -> sysconfig editor
3a:- navigate to ‘Display Manager’ then change ‘DISPLAYMANAGER’ field from ‘kdm4’ to ‘kdm’ (NOT kdm3!)
3b:- navigate to ‘Display Manager’ then change’DISPLAYMANAGER_KDM_THEME’ to ‘login-scan-fusion’
4:- konsole and type ‘kcmshell kdm’
4a:- set background as ‘no picture’ and options -> colors = black. (u see the background color before kdm and after kdm, setting it to black makes it blend in.)