Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xorg and DPI

Default Xorg and DPI

Hello I am having problems with my 24" Samsung monitor and opensuse 11.1. The problem is that no matter how much I try ti, I am unable to change my xorg DPI value.
    xdpyinfo gives me the following

xdpyinfo | grep resolution
    resolution: 90x90 dots per inch

I have configured KDE to use 120 DPI but at the present I am not happy with my fonts.

Is there an easy way to change the DPI value that Xorg uses? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Xorg and DPI

I don't think you can change the ACTUAL dpi. When you change the dpi value for the font, you only change the font matrix. At least that's my understanding and I may, of course, be totally wrong.
    Günter

Desk: Leap 42.2, KDE 5, Intel i3, 8Gb, Kingston 64Gb SSD, 2 SATA.
    Lap: Thinkpad T430, Tumbleweed, Intel i5, 8Gb, SSD.

Well I have trie d varius ways to change the dpi, including setting a new modeline in xorg.conf and adding -dpi argument to /usr/bin/X. But sofar nothing works, I am wondering if it has anything to do with sax2? This is rather frustrating as I have an ATI video card and nvidia users seem to have it easy, they just have to add two options to xorg.conf to get better looking fonts

And which options are those? Although happy with my fonts (and I work a lot with typography and graphic design) I'd love to know what xorg.conf can do for NVIDIA owners in this respect...
    But think about it: dpi means "dots per inch". LCD monitors have effectively a fixed resolution, and of course a fixed screen area. You can, of course, change their default resolution but the image will get worse, not better, and you certainly cannot increase the effective number of dots per inch. You're barking up the wrong tree if you want to improve the quality of your on-screen font rendering.
    Günter

Arrow Re: Xorg and DPI

Have a good read here:

Optimal Use of MS TrueType Core Fonts for a KDE Desktop on SuSE
    Link 1

Subpixel Hinting
    Link 2

May be better to install the packages from Link 2, it helped to improve display in openSUSE 11.1 in my case.
    Linux User 483705 @ http://counter.li.org/

Yes I already have truetype fonts and subpixel packages installed from opensuse community. The problem seems to be systemwide, i.e. I get good fonts in some application where I can force the dpi value, such as in firefox and opera. However my systemvide dpi is 90x90 wich is wrong for my widescreen monitor.
    I have tried the following with no effect;
    1) addin .Xresources to my home directory with the "X -dpi 120" argument.

2) Added "exec /usr/bin/X11/X -dpi 120 -nolisten tcp" to xserverrc

3) Added -dpi 120 argument to Xservers

4) Modyfied my xorg.conf with the options
    "UseEdidDpi" "false" and "DPI" "120 x 120"

5) Created a custom modeline for my monitor in xorg.conf that was simply commented out after I restarted my session.

People have been complaining about the quality of fonts in opensuse and I dont understand why it seems so straightforward to change your dpi in other distro's but it seems ti be a huge problem in opensuse :/

@gminnerup

The options that increase font rendering on nvidia cards are the following

Option "UseEdidDpi" "false"
    Option "DPI" "120 x 120"

under the "Device" section.

This tells the system to ignore the default dpi and sets a new one, in this case 120x120. Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by gbj13 View Post
    @gminnerup

The options that increase font rendering on nvidia cards are the following

Option "UseEdidDpi" "false"
    Option "DPI" "120 x 120"

under the "Device" section.

This tells the system to ignore the default dpi and sets a new one, in this case 120x120. Hope this helps
    No it doesn't. It tells the system to ignore the EDID values and enables you to enter the *correct* dpi values for your screen.
    Günter

Oops, after further research I withdraw that ;-) But the term "DPI" is surely misleading here...
    Günter

Try adding
    Xft.dpi: 120
    to your ~/.Xdefaults file.

Also, play with various hinter settings (auto-hinter, slight/medium/full hinting, etc...). Try some other fonts, maybe....

Keep in mind that 120 may not be the best DPI to render the fonts with, try adjusting that gradually.

Blog Entries

This is going nowhere. I've never had to do things like this to get a monitor working. AFAIK know crappy fonts are mostly due to driver problems, i.e. driver not installed. Just pick the LCD or VESA equivalent with right resolution and it should work.
    So, what's the video card in your machine, and do you have drivers installed for it.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast