Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: do not install the opensuse ati driver !!!

Default do not install the opensuse ati driver !!!

Installed Ati driver : Ati Mobility X1350
    ATI - openSUSE
    Now my laptop with 3D enabled is very slow what a rubish is this. When try enabling desktop effect the screen is flickering.

greetings
    Anton

Default Re: do not install the opensuse ati driver !!!

ATI drivers are cr@p, no matter which ones

Blog Entries

I just got a Thinkpad T40 and this is the first machine I have with an ATI card (Radeon Mobile 7500). What would be the best course of action when dealing with ATI?
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

Quote Originally Posted by dragonbite View Post
    .... an ATI card (Radeon Mobile 7500). What would be the best course of action when dealing with ATI?
    Not installing any external driver.

Blog Entries

Just in case there's a tweak you missted, can you post the response you get from these commands:
    Code:
    rpm -qa | grep fglrx
    uname -r
    cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    I don't know much about ATI but these guys or some other experts could perhaps help after reading that info.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

rpm -qa | grep fglrx
    no output

uname -r : unknow command

I have deinstalled and are now using the internal opensuse driver. No 3D possible or linux is getting instable.

The ten past years I have still the same problems with Ati graphic cards , black screens , flickering screens not closing the system you get a striped screen and not working together with Sax2 etcetera.

I hoped this ATI - openSUSE
    would work but it is just like the original ati drivers very disappointed.

Maybe it is time for AMD-ATi to ask some advice to Nvidia.

uname -r : unknow command
    You gotta be kidding.

P.S.

ATI drivers alsways worked for me somehow but never without glitches until the free drivers (radeon in that case) were able to support my card. After that I switched immediately.

Now I own an NVidia card and they are also not without stability issues, so _only_ blaming ATI and "praising" NVidia is just a wide spread misconception in linux community.

ATI sucks? Maybe, but NVidia does too, just because they suck a little less (in most cases, with free drivers I _never_ had a complete freeze due to crappy drivers, a phenomenom I now "rediscovered" again with some NVidia drivers, though not so often, if you don't believe me, read the changelogs of NVidia driver releases) does not make them "good".

The moment my card will be sufficiently supported by free drivers (hopes go to nouveau) I will switch _immediately away from that proprietary ****.

Never had big problems with Nvidia drivers from the opensuse site.
    I am not praising nvidia, nothing is perfect and maybe the hardware from ati is better but my experience is ; the past ten years again and again nvidia is a better choice then ati drivers when using Linux.
    certainly when u use dual screen or Xinerama.

You hav eto keep in mind that beginners also want to easy install 3d drivers just by clicking on the install button.
    Thats also why they love openSUSE but then its better that they don't get a black screen.

By the way: uname -r : 2.6.27.29-0.1-default

As for most users the installation via the repos (which BTW are _not_ hosted by openSUSE) seems to work your "advise" is ridicoulous, only because _you_ don't get it working does not mean it is broken, in > 99% of all cases it's a users error (which you can also see that "uname -r" now seemed to work "magically" although it was "unknown" a few minutes ago).

And to be honest, somebody with "10 years" of linux experience not being able to type uname -r correctly at the first time and then advising people not to install something (with three ! that is), "high credibility" is not the first thing which comes to mind.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast