Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Suse Logo RIPPED OFF!!

Angry Open Suse Logo RIPPED OFF!!

Hi all!

I'm not a suse user nor am I a programmer but as graphic and web designer I thought this was a little outrageous. I found the Suse logo being ripped off as a cheap logo template and being sold with thousands of other cheap logos for 50 euros on this site: Download Logo Templates & LogoMaker / Logo Creation Software

You can clearly see the logo at the bottom of the page. I've got a comparison screenshot here:

I'm not sure if this is an issue but I thought seeing as Novell own Suse that it would be infringing on a trademark.

Heinrich

Default Re: Open Suse Logo RIPPED OFF!!

You should report them to Novell's legal team so Novell can sue the S*** out of them .... The ********** B*******! All are lizards are belong to us!! Didn't they know that? ********** thieves

Seriously though, report them to Novell! This isn't funny
    Last edited by caf4926; 12-Sep-2009 at 10:01. Reason: edit content to remove obscenity

Alright, I've reported it to Novell's legal team. Thanks for making us aware of this. I also talked to Andreas Jaeger on #opensuse-project IRC room and he said to contact Novell, actually gave me the address to do so.

Well done guys. Welcome to Heinrichdsf, and well spotted.

That's great to hear you've contacted Novell.

I hope they get what's coming to them. I'm glad I could point this out.

Quote Originally Posted by microchip8 View Post
    ... This isn't funny
    It kind of is.

I don't know quite how they think they can get away with things like that. I think maybe they just think - if you can call it that - "Open source, innit? You can nick it and they don't care."

Oh well.

This also happened quite recently to an Arch Linux logo, and unfortunately some Arch users decided to bombard the company concerned with abusive emails, obviously not reflecting well on the distro, or on Linux users generally.

The moral of the story - let Novell sort it out.

Cheers Heinrichdsf.

The SUSE lizard is not "open source" - it's not a program or put in the public domain under some Fair Share license or Free Artistic one. It's a registered trademark of a company that earns its living with open source technologies. Before using it in your products you earn $$$ from, you should ask the parent company for permission

I know this. You know this. Novell's small army of lawyers know this. Soon, our friend the graphic 'designer' will know this too.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuseling View Post
    It kind of is.

...This also happened quite recently to an Arch Linux logo, and unfortunately some Arch users decided to bombard the company concerned with abusive emails, obviously not reflecting well on the distro, or on Linux users generally...
    Cheers Heinrichdsf.
    It's great that users are passionate about protecting the products they use and love but that is certainly not the way to deal with these type of situations because, as you said, it makes its users look like fools because the abuser will just simply see the subject line of an email and press DELETE!... but letting the company take care of it's image infringement through professional avenues makes sure it covers all the necessary ground and the abuser will simply have no leg to stand on when their finished with them.

If you think that's bad, there are a line of dispensers for condoms and "adult novelties" which I've seen in public toilets now and then, which have a character which is unmistakeably a slightly modified version of the BSD Daemon splashed over the front . Same pose as some of the artwork used on FreeBSD banners, for example. Very cheeky and surely illegal- quite sure that art can't be in the public domain (or under any sort of license that would allow this sort of... unusual usage )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast