Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SaX2 Monitory resolution settings unclear

Default SaX2 Monitory resolution settings unclear

Could someone clarify this for me, it's been puzzling me ever since I started using openSUSE:

If one goes into the SaX2 monitory settings, there are apparently 2 ways to change the monitor resolution:
    (1) Display > Monitory > Change
    (2) Display > Properties > Resolution

(see the screenshot here: )

What's the difference between the two?
    Apparently, one choose different settings under each one -- for what purpose?

Blog Entries

Default Re: SaX2 Monitory resolution settings unclear

Isn't option 1 for the Monitor Eg; I have a Monitor LCD, this Big and needs this refresh rate

Option 2. Seems to be for the display quality setting. The similarity is in the screen dimensions which would need to match.
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Hmm, but most monitors can operate at different resolutions. How would that be reflected in SaX2? (--> option (1): "my monitory supports 1400x1050 in general", but option (2):"i want to run it at 640x240 right now"?)

One could way would probably to try and experiment, but I just reinstalled my system, so for the time being all experiments are off so that I can enjoy the fruits of my labor ...

What version of openSUSE and what DE version are you using for that?

openSUSE 11.1 and KDE 4.3.1. SaX2 is version 8.1-542.11.1 .
    Last edited by homoludens1000; 09-Sep-2009 at 17:08. Reason: something to add

Having set the monitor's default resolution with sax2, I use KRandRTray. It's in the kickoff menu's Applications tab: System>Desktop Applet>Screen Resize and Rotate. It will place its icon in the systemtray and if you single-click that, you should get a selection menu of screen resolutions and refresh rates. They are set separately, both will need setting, and will depend on your video driver's capabilities and your configuration in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. For example, the vesa driver will restrict resolutions, and refresh rates are fixed at zero (unavailable).

If you are not familiar with xorg.conf, you may need to consult the "man" page for xorg.conf (in Konqueror's location bar, enter: man:xorg.conf). If your xorg.conf doesn't contain actual modeline definitions, that should be ok. Xorg normally detects valid modesettings from your monitor, and KDE will make them available via KRandRTray.

Always make a backup copy of your xorg.conf file before editing it.

It may take further configuration to get the best combination for your monitor. Be aware that the default config.sys, generated by openSUSE, has been known to contain modelines that are useless for one's hardware. They can be commented-out (or removed), but any further problems should be for a new thread in the Help section of the forum.

Hope that helps.

consused,

took me a while to digest the content of your post, but thanks a lot, it was very informative and told me a lot i didn't know yet!

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by homoludens1000 View Post
    Could someone clarify this for me, it's been puzzling me ever since I started using openSUSE:

If one goes into the SaX2 monitory settings, there are apparently 2 ways to change the monitor resolution:
    (1) Display > Monitory > Change
    (2) Display > Properties > Resolution

(see the screenshot here: )

What's the difference between the two?
    Apparently, one choose different settings under each one -- for what purpose?
    To add to caf4926, the first option which is for the monitor, you can input the specs manually e.g screen dimension, refresh rate, etc which you can base from the monitors manual and specification.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

Quote Originally Posted by conram View Post
    To add to caf4926, the first option which is for the monitor, you can input the specs manually e.g screen dimension, refresh rate, etc which you can base from the monitors manual and specification.
    That's right, but be aware that this will generate a new xorg.conf with the new "monitor" specs. However, also be aware that the new xorg.conf will overwrite any previous edits, and may reintroduce the same "modelines that are useless for one's hardware", that were produced before.

Basically, it means that if you have previously edited xorg.conf, don't run sax2, but make the changes to xorg.conf manually.

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    That's right, but be aware that this will generate a new xorg.conf with the new "monitor" specs. However, also be aware that the new xorg.conf will overwrite any previous edits, and may reintroduce the same "modelines that are useless for one's hardware", that were produced before.

Basically, it means that if you have previously edited xorg.conf, don't run sax2, but make the changes to xorg.conf manually.
    I use the whole feature of option 1 on one lcd samsung monitor not supported by suse. I also use the monitor cd to load the imf since suse 9.1 without any problem with xorg. Maybe I'm just lucky.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast