Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just downloaded Milestone 7

Default Just downloaded Milestone 7

Found updates in the factory repos today. After the update I have Milestone 7 and kernel-2.6.31-rc8-6-default i686. There's a new splash screen when the Xserver starts.

Just starting to play around with it now. Looks good.

Default Re: Just downloaded Milestone 7

Hmm. Not so much luck here.

If I boot normally, it gets to the new login screen, but doesn't respond to any input except magic sys rq keys.

If I boot into runlevel 3, and startx, I get the desktop, but again, it refuses to respond to keyboard or mouse at all. Could be HAL or something? Maybe a half synced mirror.

Without meaning to hijack your thread, anyone got any advice for getting YaST (or zypper) to update from runlevel 3? If I run 'ifconfig eth0 up' it seems to activate my network, but attempts to update complain that they can't find any repositories. Am I missing a step?

Cheers.

[I had to kill my system with my 666th post didn't I ]

Quote Originally Posted by Confuseling View Post
    Without meaning to hijack your thread, anyone got any advice for getting YaST (or zypper) to update from runlevel 3? If I run 'ifconfig eth0 up' it seems to activate my network, but attempts to update complain that they can't find any repositories. Am I missing a step?

Cheers.

[I had to kill my system with my 666th post didn't I ]
    Don't know the answer to your problem yet, but I can ease your mind about the 666th post.

It seems that #666 was translated incorrectly from the original text for the mark of the beast. It should have been #616. Not so interesting, eh.

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    Don't know the answer to your problem yet, but I can ease your mind about the 666th post.

It seems that #666 was translated incorrectly from the original text for the mark of the beast. It should have been #616. Not so interesting, eh.
    I'm a Cancerian anyway - and water signs don't go in for all that superstitious rubbish.

It's weird. If I run YaST, I can open software management, and it gives me a list of things I can install - which I can only assume means it is online (unless it caches this list?).

But if I try to update or actually install something, it says it can't find /content. I guess I'll try again in a few days, and if still nothing, just reinstall.

Back to your scheduled programming!

It's weird. If I run YaST, I can open software management, and it gives me a list of things I can install - which I can only assume means it is online (unless it caches this list?).

But if I try to update or actually install something, it says it can't find /content.
    Can you do zypper verify?

"Could not find /content..." or words to that effect. That seems to be the response to more or less everything. It's like arguing with a recalcitrant 3 year old.

strange; i also found myself with a new milestone after a surprisingly large zypper update, but for me everything works fine, including yast2 & zypper. perhaps you really caught the mirror while it wasn't ready for you...

It's definitely weird. I just tried yast2 and zypper (lr and verify) in a console at level 3 and they should and did work i.e. yast2 as root and those zypper commands as ordinary user. It must be zypper's cli that is screwed. What happens if you try "rpm" commands in level 3?

rpm --rebuilddb for example works.

I think the problem is actually the net access - I tried running YaST before doing the ifconfig, and it still has a package list, so obviously it is caching that.

In all honesty, I think I'll just reinstall from M7 at this stage - I'm not really familiar enough with stuff like command line networking to want to dig into this too deeply, and don't fancy learning my way around on a potentially subtly broken system.

Thanks for the tips anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by pilotgi View Post
    After the update I have Milestone 7 and kernel-2.6.31-rc8-6-default i686.
    Milestone 7 will have kernel-2.6.31-rc9.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast