Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: 11.2m6 repository dont work

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Graz/Austria
    Posts
    51

    Default 11.2m6 repository dont work

    hi

    today i installed opensuse 11.2 milestone6 and wondered about the not working repository. i found the bug solution with "export ZYPP_ARIA2C=0", but it doesnt work. the media.1/media error messages still appear.
    where can i get nvidia driver, skype_x64(libqt4-32bit) and a lot other things?
    with the factory repository i could get most of the programms im looking for, but also it downgrades my system to kernel 2.27 :-( and therfore i get problems with ext4 format on my disks.

    beside im new to opensuse. i worked years on debian(gnome) and now switched to opensuse for a better kde4 integration. my first impressions on opensuse are realy good but the repository system is a mess.

    how can i set up a complete working repository entry up to date like milestone 6 or factory with a kernel minimum 2.31?

    kg odesu

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    wichita
    Posts
    990

    Default Re: 11.2m6 repository dont work

    Milestone 6 comes with kernel 2.6.31. Are you saying that after you installed Milestone 6, you now have kernel 2.6.27? How did you do this?

    The factory repo for the Milestone is here:

    Index of /factory/repo/oss

    I would suggest that you disable whatever other repos you have and use the above repo to upgrade.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Graz/Austria
    Posts
    51

    Default Re: 11.2m6 repository dont work

    Quote Originally Posted by pilotgi View Post
    Milestone 6 comes with kernel 2.6.31. Are you saying that after you installed Milestone 6, you now have kernel 2.6.27? How did you do this?
    no - after installing milestone 6 i had 2.6.31. then when i installed the nvidia driver x11-video-nvidiaG02 with yast2( repos 11.1 activ) i get the 2.6.27.. kernel with it.
    if i use factory repos only i cant found a solution to install nvidia on 2.6.31 because of dependency error "Problem: kernel(default:kernel_time) = 737dc055885b5e6f, bentigt von nvidia-gfxG02-kmp-default-185.18.36_2.6.27.29_0.1-6.1.x86_64, wird von keinem Repository angeboten"(its in german but probably usefull).

    so is there a solution to install nvidia with yast2 and only factory repos activ?
    sure i could do it manually but then i have to do this everytime the kernel updates/changes.


    Quote Originally Posted by pilotgi View Post
    I would suggest that you disable whatever other repos you have and use the above repo to upgrade.
    ok - will try. factory and packman.testing.

    thank for your reply.

    kg odesu

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Graz/Austria
    Posts
    51

    Default Re: 11.2m6 repository dont work

    i did the upgrade to factory. now udev has a problem to mount the /dev stuff at boot time. kde starts but neither mouse or keyboard work.

    will search on the next day for a solution.

    kg odesu
    using openSuse-12.1x86_64 on HP 8530w notebook with NVIDIA Quadro FX 770M

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,500

    Default Re: 11.2m6 repository dont work

    Quote Originally Posted by odesu View Post
    i did the upgrade to factory. now udev has a problem to mount the /dev stuff at boot time. kde starts but neither mouse or keyboard work.

    will search on the next day for a solution.

    kg odesu
    You did read the links from the wiki explaining about the factory and the milestones, didn't you? If so you would understand that between the milestones, factory can be in an unpredictable state, and updating from it can render your system completely unusable.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City Area, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    7,236

    Default Re: 11.2m6 repository dont work

    consused wrote:
    > You did read the links from the wiki explaining about the factory and
    > the milestones, didn't you? If so you would understand that between the
    > milestones, factory can be in an unpredictable state, and updating from
    > it can render your system completely unusable.


    In addition, it is very likely that you will need to "build from
    scratch" any out-of-kernel drivers such as used for nVidia or ATI
    graphics devices. With 11.2, I am testing without 3D acceleration.

  7. #7

    Default Re: 11.2m6 repository dont work

    I had absolutely no problems to build the nvidia driver by myself. A description for 11.2 and the nvidia sources was easily found via google.

    I had 2 monitors with acceleration.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Graz/Austria
    Posts
    51

    Default Re: 11.2m6 repository dont work

    ok. i installed the newest factory snapshot. now the software management works without problems. i setup nvidia and skype manually.

    perhaps the differences between milestone and factory releases should be explained in short at the download pages. its not obvious for newbies to opensuse.

    thanks for your replies. everthing works fine and smooth now.

    kg odesu
    using openSuse-12.1x86_64 on HP 8530w notebook with NVIDIA Quadro FX 770M

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    20,925
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: 11.2m6 repository dont work

    If you're a 'newbie', please don't start with Factory or Milestone releases. It's stated loud and clear that they are for testing purposes, NOT for production use. When learning to drive a car, you don't start with Ferrari's next year concept model.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,500

    Default Re: 11.2m6 repository dont work

    Quote Originally Posted by odesu View Post
    ...perhaps the differences between milestone and factory releases should be explained in short at the download pages. its not obvious for newbies to opensuse.

    thanks for your replies. everthing works fine and smooth now.

    kg odesu
    You may have a point, given that "newbies to opensuse", even if experienced on other distros, would not be familiar with "milestone" as they would with "alpha, beta, rc".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •