Thread: How to start raid on boot up ?

Default How to start raid on boot up ?

I am running openSuSE 10.3 and I just use mdadm to create a raid 1 /dev/md0. The problem I have is the kernel doesn't load it on boot and eventually panic since I have an entry in /etc/fstab to mount it.

I searched the web for answer and they don't really apply to SuSE 10.3. Some suggests to compile a new kernel but I am not too comfortable with compiling a kernel.

I tried to edit /etc/rc.d/boot.local to run "madam -As /dev/md0" but that happens too late (it seems to me the kernel has to undersand /dev/md0 before it reads the /etc/fstab.)

So how can I get around the problem ?

Regards,

Jesse Lee

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to start raid on boot up ?

Did you try using YaST partitioner to create the RAID? That should take care of the extra steps that using mdadm alone doesn't.

Hmmm. No I didn't. Now I haven't already created it (and starting using the file system) how can I fix it ? Should I use the GUI to destroy the md0 and start all over again ?

Blog Entries

Well, as you appreciate I haven't been in this situation before and I try not to land there, but you might be able to form the array without losing the contents. All the same, I would make a backup.