Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Burned dvd's are unusable.

Unhappy Burned dvd's are unusable.

I need help/suggestions from you guys. After my burner died like a month ago(42 days) after nine yrs of service I decided to go and buy a new one. I got a cheap HP Dvd 1040i. I declined the warranty and of course after 42 days when I tried to open the tray a small metal part (a washer kind) flew from inside and it stopped working(reading or writing). The manager at the Staple store decided not to do anything for me(because I declined the extended warranty) and now I will have to deal with HP about it. Meanwhile I "borrowed" one from the same store.( i will return it back every 14 days) until i get some resolution one the HP one. This one is a Sony DRU 860S which unlike the other one has a SCSI data and power cable. Do I have to install anything else in order for it to work? It reads DVD's it writes (using K3b) and reports as successfull, but then the disk is not usable. K3b recognizes it as "Complete Data DVD-R but then it cannot mount it. Any suggestions?
    another question I have as this is not working I was trying to copy a DVD on my laptop(which can copy the regular DVD's but when I tried a DL it failed twice at around 60-70%. Are there any restrictions/issues with k3b related to the size of the dvd that anyone knows of?
    Thanks,

Default Re: Burned dvd's are unusable.

If the drive is within the manufacturer's warranty period between Staples and the manufacturer, they must replace or repair.
    When you say the new drive is scsi are you sure you aren't confusing it with and ide connector.
    SCSI is pretty rare and needs to be connected to a SCSI card - usually only professional server/workstation boards have a built in scsi.
    If the drive is recognised, you shouldn't need anything else. In your case it is recognised as since k3b is writing to it.
    Try getting a rewriteable cd/dvd disk and see if it will write a couple of files to it. (That way you aren't turning into a toast factory).
    Also some drives don't accept all dvd media and prefer some discs to others.
    Usually aldi/lidl discs are good and relatively cheap to try with.
    Try burning at a lower speed as well and get k3b to check the disc after writing.

The only restriction is the size of the disc you are writing to. If you are trying to write more than the disc's rated capacity (usually 700mb for cd and 4.3 gb for dvd) you will get an error.

If this is UK then you had no need to go to the manufacturer this is covered by the sales of goods act

Sale of Goods Act | Consumer Information
    The manager gave you the run around...
    the-shop-doesn’t-want-to-know-they-say-it’s-the-manufacturer’s-responsibility/

What is the legal definition of quality | Consumer Information

42 days is not acceptable and I would like to know how a manager can argue it is.
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

Well is in Canada. The store policy is that it can be returned in 30 days. I denied the extended warranty based on the fact that my last DVD writer served me for 9 years(you get what you paid for -$500). This one was only $50, but I expected it to last at least a year. It lasted only 42 days(and I was away for a week or so) so in fact was around 30 days. The manager was an "arse' but as I said I will buy and return every 14 days a DVD burner until I get something out of my old one from the manufacturer. That will be more than the $50 I paid that the store is going to waste.
    Anyway my new one(SONY) doesn't even work it fails to write to disks, so i will return it tomorrow and take a new one. I made a mistake and said that is a SCSI but in fact I meant SATA. I don't think that is anything different from a SATA to a regular( I think IDE) one. it reads any disks but when i try to write data or iso files it errors out. I didn't make any changes to the software I'm using(k3b), so I assume is just the burner. I will see tomorrow. Thanks for replies.

Blog Entries

I can't remember exactly, but I've had serious trouble like this. A friend asked me, if I had completely unplugged the machine when replacing the drive. Not just switch it off, but unplug the power cable. For reasons I still don't understand it worked after doing that, while it didn't before.
    Maybe this will help you.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Thank you for your replies. I think that the problem is related to the fact that the computer was not even off when I installed the burner. The reason I'm saying that is that any disk I burn, k3b gives me details about the disk size and I noticed the the info related to SystemId, VolumeID and ApplicationId in the ISO96660 Filesystem info area are empty. When I try to mount it it complains that it cannot mount it. I was even able to make a copy of it(to a RW) but the copy had the same issue. Anyone knows if those info can be setup somewhere?
    I tried to unplug the burner and install it after the computer was unplugged but so far it didn't work. I unplugged my machine and I will try again tonight and if not I will try to reinstall k3b.
    Not sure what else to do. I will let you know.

platinum NNTP User

> Thank you for your replies. I think that the problem is related to the
    > fact that the computer was not even off when I installed the burner.

ok, here is a rule to not break:

while the computer is running:

- it is generally ok to plug in/out USB devices, and speakers, and
    microphones and ??? (i cant think of anything else)

- NOT ok to plug anything else...not:
    -- monitor/screen
    -- keyboard (unless USB)
    -- mouse (unless USB)
    -- joy stick
    -- hard drives (unless HOT PLUGABLY, 99% are NOT)
    -- printers (unless USB)
    -- scanners (unless USB)
    -- modems (unless USB)
    -- CD/DVD players/burners (unless USB)
    -- mother boards
    -- power supplies
    -- RAM
    -- CPU
    -- sound cards
    -- network cards

here is the deal: the chips inside almost all components have teeny
    tiny wires that can be burned though with almost NO charge going the
    wrong way..

it could be that your DVD player is now good only to be a door
    stop...no kidding!

oh, one more rule: READ THE DIRECTIONS, i bet you got some info with
    that new HP Dvd 1040i, and i bet it tells you exactly HOW to install
    it...and, i bet it says to shutdown and unplug the computer....and,
    probably says not to touch the contacts at the back of the drive...

reading is cheaper than buying a new drive..

--
    platinum
    Give a hacker a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach reading the instructions and you feed him for a lifetime.

Thank you, platinum, for the lesson. I would have got the point in few words, no need to get a long speech.
    Anyway the burner still works in XP so no physical damage to the burner and I was able to burn a disk successfully recognized on another machine, but k3b still doesn't create a correct DVD after I reinstalled the application. I will try to use another application to see if that helps. If not I will have to conclude that the operating system got somehow corrupted. Is that possible? it just doesn't burn correctly the disk even tough it says that the disk was successfully created and there are no errors. Anyone would know how to debug k3b?

Blog Entries

Try k9copy from packman repo. This may be an application-specific or config issue.

What is the output from the command below?

/usr/sbin/hwinfo --cdrom

platinum NNTP User

> I will have to conclude that the operating system got
    > somehow corrupted. Is that possible?

yes

--
    platinum

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast