OpenSuse 11.1 and Multiple Processors

Hi All,

A fresh load of OpenSuse 11.1 is performing poorly on an Intel OR840 with two PIII (1 GHz).

The hardware info applet only shows the first CPU (Processor 0). I have a handful of log messages, but I don’t know how to correct them.

Reading is kind of slim when searching OpenSuse for similar issues (one past post regarding 10.3). Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff

Sep 4 00:46:15 linux rchal: CPU frequency scaling is not supported by your processor.
Sep 4 00:46:15 linux rchal: boot with ‘CPUFREQ=no’ in to avoid this warning.
Sep 4 00:46:15 linux kernel: klogd 1.4.1, log source = /proc/kmsg started.
Sep 4 00:46:15 linux kernel: NET: Registered protocol family 10
Sep 4 00:46:15 linux kernel: lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
Sep 4 00:46:15 linux kernel: powernow_k8: Unknown symbol acpi_processor_notify_smm
Sep 4 00:46:15 linux kernel: powernow_k8: Unknown symbol acpi_processor_unregister_performance
Sep 4 00:46:15 linux kernel: powernow_k8: Unknown symbol acpi_processor_register_performance
Sep 4 00:46:15 linux kernel: powernow_k7: Unknown symbol acpi_processor_notify_smm
Sep 4 00:46:15 linux kernel: powernow_k7: Unknown symbol acpi_processor_unregister_performance
Sep 4 00:46:15 linux kernel: powernow_k7: Unknown symbol acpi_processor_register_performance
Sep 4 00:46:15 linux kernel: acpi_cpufreq: Unknown symbol acpi_processor_notify_smm
Sep 4 00:46:15 linux kernel: acpi_cpufreq: Unknown symbol acpi_processor_unregister_performance
Sep 4 00:46:15 linux kernel: acpi_cpufreq: Unknown symbol acpi_processor_preregister_performance
Sep 4 00:46:15 linux kernel: acpi_cpufreq: Unknown symbol acpi_processor_register_performance
Sep 4 00:46:15 linux rchal: Cannot load cpufreq governors - No cpufreq driver available

Try adding as it suggests: CPUFREQ=no
To the boot arguments

When you boot, pause the timer by moving the down arrow, move it back to default boot and type: CPUFREQ=no
The text should appear a little lower down where you may see already: vga…

Sorry, then hit enter, obviously.

Failsafe boot - did you try that?

Hi caf4926,

>> Try adding as it suggests: CPUFREQ=no
No joy with a standard boot, but I suspect I have X problems.

> Sorry, then hit enter, obviously.
Thanks.

> Failsafe boot - did you try that?
That’s what I’ve been booting for the most part (excruciatingly painful).

I found changing the ‘cpumax=0’ to ‘cpumax=2’ brought performance up where I expected it.

Jeff

Hi caf4926,

>>> Try adding as it suggests: CPUFREQ=no
> No joy with a standard boot, but I suspect I have X problems.
A standard boot wih ‘x11failsafe vga=0x31a’

The problem is not the performance itself, but the number of processors linux use. For checking that all is OK you may look to /proc/cpuinfo where 2 CPUs must be presented.