Thread: kdenlive from RedDwarf - sox dependency problem

Default kdenlive from RedDwarf - sox dependency problem

Hi -

I installed kdenlive 0.7.5 from RedDwarf a week or two ago, and was pleased as punch. But something happened - could have been one of many things - and I found myself needing to install it again.

My system is sus3 11.1 x86_64 gnome 2.26. I've got kdebase4-runtime 4.3.1 installed from factory, as well as qt4.5.

From this thread you can see that the packager has mlt split up a number of ways - you need to install four libraries plus melt - and it turns out that libmlt1-modules is dependent on libsfx.so.

It seems that the problem is that libsfx.so used to be bundled with sox, but yast pushed out a brand new spanking version of sox recently, and libsfx.so is no longer included. The end result is that kdenlive doesn't install. Actually, it does install, it just doesn't run.

I ended up solving the problem by downgrading sox to the original version from the suse 11.1 distribution. I have a sneaking suspicion that the package is looking for the packman version, so I don't know how much trouble that is going to cause.

I guess I just wanted to post the problem so that the people that kindly make these packages available to us are aware of the problem. I would also like a recommendation as to which sox rpm is going to work best, or if it actually matters.

Thanks!

- John

Default Re: kdenlive from RedDwarf - sox dependency problem

All needed packages should be installed automatically by default when you install kdenlive:
    Code:
    # zypper -v in kdenlive
    The following NEW packages are going to be installed:
      frei0r-plugins-1.1.22-4.1.x86_64  (RedDwarf's Home, openSUSE Build Service)
      kdenlive-0.7.5-1.1.x86_64  (RedDwarf:KDE:Factory, openSUSE Build Service)
      libgavl1-1.1.1-1.2.x86_64  (RedDwarf's Home, openSUSE Build Service)
      libmlt++2-0.4.4-8.1.x86_64  (RedDwarf:multimedia, openSUSE Build Service)
      libmlt1-0.4.4-8.1.x86_64  (RedDwarf:multimedia, openSUSE Build Service)
      libmlt1-data-0.4.4-8.1.x86_64  (RedDwarf:multimedia, openSUSE Build Service)
      libmlt1-modules-0.4.4-8.1.x86_64  (RedDwarf:multimedia, openSUSE Build Service)
      melt-0.4.4-8.1.x86_64  (RedDwarf:multimedia, openSUSE Build Service)
      sox-14.1.0-11.22.x86_64  (openSUSE 11.1 Oss, openSUSE)

Overall download size: 7.4 M. After the operation, additional 54.4 M will be used.
    Continue? [YES/no]:
    Yes, with version 14.2.0 sox "Merged libsfx back into libsox to align with sox.h API.", that's an incompatible change. I could built against the latest 14.3.0, but openSUSE 11.1 came with sox 14.1.0... that's the version I should compile against. Any update should be compatible, so I would say this problem should be fixed at Packman.

I think kdenlive only uses sox to add echo, reverb and that kind of effects to sound, not for format conversion. In such a case you can use the original sox from openSUSE in kdenlive without problems. But you will have a sox without patented codecs support... perhaps that's a problem for you for other cases not related to kdenlive.

...openSUSE 11.2 will be released in two months and I will install it the day it's released. And I'm not a heavy kdenlive/sox user.
    So, I have no plans to fight this problem for 11.1. Right now my plan is to stop building for pre-11.2 openSUSE versions since I want to use the new rpm 4.7 features. Solutions?
    - Packman could update kdenlive
    - Packman could patch its sox package to be compatible
    - Someone could take my package and built it against sox 14.3.0 (available in the OBS)
    - Someone could built sox 14.1.0 with patented codecs support.
    Again, *I* have no plans to do any of these.