Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KDE4.3 problems

Default KDE4.3 problems

I've just upgraded to KDE4.3 from 4.2.4. Now when I boot and login my screen freezes as soon as I try changing the theme or desktop configurations. The only way I can stop the freezes is if I disable the desktop effects.

The desktop effects worked fine in 4.2.4 so any idea why they are not working in 4.3? Could i have a conflict with a package that didn't upgrade properly?
    IBM Thinkpad X60s | Intel L2400 | Intel 945GM | 3GB | openSUSE Tumbleweed
    Dell XPS 13 9360 | openSUSE Leap 42.3

Default Re: KDE4.3 problems

You could try renaming your settings directory (I think it's ~/.kde4), and logging back it, see if that helps?

Even if it doesn't - or you aren't prepared to set up again from scratch - you can just rename it back again.

OK, I tried as you suggested. Renamed .kde4 and logged in and went proceeded to change the colour scheme to a green theme. It unfortunately still didn't make any difference to YAST which still showed the bluey purple selection bar, window pane highlight and progress bar.

It seems it's a bug.

Blog Entries

OK. I see this thread now.

Better post your repo's:
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Moderators, can you please delete my post #3. I mixed the answer of two different threads

Quote Originally Posted by Confuseling View Post
    You could try renaming your settings directory (I think it's ~/.kde4), and logging back it, see if that helps?

Even if it doesn't - or you aren't prepared to set up again from scratch - you can just rename it back again.
    I tried as you suggested and it seemed to work for about 10mins but my screen froze again while configuring the desktop.

KDE4.2.4 worked pretty well for me with very few screen freezes (and those really only occured if I didn't reboot the system for 2-3 days).

I'm disappointed that I'm experiencing this with 4.3 now. I don't really want to try a fresh install as it'll take too long to set everything up again. Would i benefit from doing an unconditional update on the KDE4 desktop and community repos or is my problem likely to be caused by an openSUSE core file?

Blog Entries

Would i benefit from doing an unconditional update on the KDE4 desktop and community repos or is my problem likely to be caused by an openSUSE core file?
    Possibly. worth a try anyway. It might reveal something you have not noticed.
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Blog Entries

I think it would. Don't know what's happening exactly, but last couple of days I've met this problem a few times. Unconditional update of all KDE4 packages solved it on every occasion.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

OK, I'll try an unconditional update of the KDE packages. I also just looked at the compiz packages that are installed and am not sure if I've got duplicates installed. Their seems to be a generic version and a suse version.

Is what I have correct?

Your symptoms sound suspiciously like what I got on my work machine, also with Intel graphics, when switching from Gnome (working fine) to KDE 4.3.
    I "solved" it by disabling Kwin and using Compiz for desktop effects instead.
    Günter

Desk: Leap 42.2, KDE 5, Intel i3, 8Gb, Kingston 64Gb SSD, 2 SATA.
    Lap: Thinkpad T430, Tumbleweed, Intel i5, 8Gb, SSD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast