Thread: Freezing After Boot Loader

stonewallp NNTP User

Default Freezing After Boot Loader

Hello all!

First time openSuse user, but have used other linux versions for sometime. I just installed openSuse on my machine. Machine previously had only Windows XP, but I partitioned the hard drive and installed OpenSuse, no problems. However, when I power of the computer I come to the selection screen without any problems. If I select Windows it loads and works just fine. However, if I select any of the three Suse options it runs for a moment and then freezes and nothing more ever happens. Any ideas/suggestions about what could be causing this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Freezing After Boot Loader

It sounds like it is throwing errors during the hardware initializing process. If you hit escape before it freezes up do you get the text screen that will show you the process? If it is freezing up pretty quickly then I am guessing it is a partition/mounting error. Do you remember how you setup your partitions for openSuse? You have only one hdd correct?
    System: IntelCore 2 Quad 6600, Asus P5Q Deluxe,8 GB Corsair XMS, NVidia GTS 250 512Mb
    OS: OpenSuse 11.1 x64; 2.6.27...; KDE 4.3 Dual-boot w/ Windows 7 RC

Blog Entries

Default Re: Freezing After Boot Loader

Try adding: noapic acpi=off
    to the boot arguments
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below