Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: youtube, myvideo...-videos are jerking

Default Re: youtube, myvideo...-videos are jerking

I don't think you mentioned the cpu utilzation you get during the choppy video. What is it?

platinum NNTP User

> The Flash is the newest version, I downloaded it a couple of days ago

and shows version 10.something when you connect to this page:
    http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/

> The Beagle(no- I have no Idea what it does) I now tried toggeling it
    > on and off a couple of times and don't seea difference, but I#ll leave
    > it off for now.

good

> The Desktop effects are turned off.
    >
    > Its a Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 with a 1.80GHz CPU and a cache of 512 KB.

that is not a lot of ram...especially since i bet you are siphoning
    off some of that for graphics..

it could be you will be forced to buy more RAM or buy a graphics card
    with real ram on board...to get all the frames you need..

> I'll try the IPv6 thing ('Disable IPv6 for Firefox - openSUSE'
    > (http://en.opensuse.org/Disable_IPv6_for_Firefox)) and check back in to
    > tell you if it worked.

also disable IPv6 for the whole system:

Open Yast -> Network Devices ->Network Settings and in Global Options
    tab Uncheck Enable IPv6

and, what about your internet speed...is it broadband?

--
    platinum

Quote Originally Posted by platinum View Post
    that is not a lot of ram...especially since i bet you are siphoning off some of that for graphics..

it could be you will be forced to buy more RAM or buy a graphics card
    with real ram on board...to get all the frames you need..
    Nevertheless it should be enough. In the absence of data, you are simply guessing. I have the same, even though some is taken for the graphics. I checked the amount of memory being used, there is no swapping and iirc it doesn't even reach half way to 512MB. This is 2D stuff. And it should work within the openSUSE recommended system. In any case he should monitor memory and cpu by running "top" in Konsole during the choppy video..

I don't think he mentioned the video chip/card yet, and also whether local video works i.e. not choppy.

On the BB (a good check), I get about 9Mbits/sec, but internet video streaming also worked well at 2Mbits/sec.

yup...

Flash: You have version 10,0,32,18 installed
    IVv6: I've now checked the IPv6 thing in YAST (as well as in the fire fox)
    video chip/card: ???

>monitor memory and cpu by running "top" in Konsole
    - Sure!? I'll give that a try- point me to where that is please...

The connection is fast enough - I'm sharing a broad band with my flat mates over a WLAN connection, the load speed is faster than the run speed, still every now and then I see the little buffering circle flash thingy, and the pick still jerks esp. when the vid is full screen.

I had some more ram in a couple of days ago but the box wouldn't start up so I took it out again and it worked again....

LOL

I haven't even tried local Vid yet. I tried a DVD a couple of days ago but at that stage nothing was working... since then I've managed to get my MP3s to play....lets see what happens when I put "Fight Club" in the drive!

....ooops now I get a black little screen on totem and "Codex missing" then I clicked on OK and got a Error message
    PHP Code:
    >Error

Server said
    Mysql::ErrorUnknown column 'fourcc' in 'where clause'SELECT FROM `visitorsWHERE (created_at '2009-09-14 23:04:57' AND ip_address '91.4.197.19' AND fourcc IN ('urisource-dvd')) LIMIT 1 

the CPU usage is way up between 96% and 98% while the Vid is playing, when I put it on full screen it flatlined 1t 100%.

Now that the vid has ended it is going up and down between 45 and 75% , reaching 90 every now and then......

Quote Originally Posted by Tester5000 View Post
    yup...

Flash: You have version 10,0,32,18 installed
    IVv6: I've now checked the IPv6 thing in YAST (as well as in the fire fox)

>monitor memory and cpu by running "top" in Konsole
    - Sure!? I'll give that a try- point me to where that is please...
    Oops, sorry I didn't relaize you were that fresh in, your id looked familiar to me somehow. Basically you need a command line window, so if it's KDE you find the app called Konsole in the Kickoff menu (bottom left). If Gnome, I've forgotten, but it's in the equivalent start programs menu. At the command line enter: top. It will show you a continually updating display of cpu, memory and running processes.

The connection is fast enough - I'm sharing a broad band with my flat mates over a WLAN connection, the load speed is faster than the run speed, still every now and then I see the little buffering circle flash thingy, and the pick still jerks esp. when the vid is full screen.
    Hold on there. I can only enjoy full screen, without it chopping, on local video/dvd with openSUSE. With internet streaming it's choppy on both windowed and full. Even on a working distro(kubuntu), with 1.8GHz, 512MB ram and an onboard chip, full screen internet streaming using BBC iplayer for example is not perfect, but windowed is.

Look at the text file /etc/X11/xorg.conf but don't change it in any way yet. Look under Section "Device" and tell me what Driver "name" is there??. Also tell us what BoardName and VendorName is specified if any. You can also check the Section "Monitor" to see if it identified yours correctly.

What about memory usage (also by running "top")??

Quote Originally Posted by Tester5000 View Post
    the CPU usage is way up between 96% and 98% while the Vid is playing, when I put it on full screen it flatlined 1t 100%.
    Bad, I expected that.

Now that the vid has ended it is going up and down between 45 and 75% , reaching 90 every now and then......
    Running "top" should tell you what processes are using that cpu and what memory?? At idle, it should only be a few % cpu.

If the system didn't detect your video chip/card it would fallback to either the "vesa" driver or "fbdev" driver, and the latter will gobble system resources. The vesa driver may not work well for your screen's required resolution and refresh rate as it restricts them to the few it supports.

With the above results, I have to suspect the video driver.

Yup - look up "fresh" om Wikipedia and you'll see a picture of me

In Idle fire fox is at 4% (with jumps up to 7% or even 10%)
    Gnome-system-monitor is steady at 10% (with ocational jumps)

when the vid plays Firefox jumps up to about 70%
    and in "Resources" the orange line lies at around 90%

There are no other resources running...

-Running DVDs doesn't work by me yet... I need some codex or other, I'll put that on the list of things I need to do!

I'll go through your tips when I've got time!
    At the moment I'm glad that my MP3s, Forums and Podcasts are running as well as office programs and email!

Thanks for the help!
    C U L8er
    T5K.

T5K, Thanks for the latest summary. BTW I don't usually look up words like that on Wikipedia - far too many hits. Anyway, fresh is ok.

On your specific DVD issue, and openSUSE multimedia generally including codecs, if you haven't seen this frequently used Howto found here, I can recommend it.

I'm not familiar enough with Gnome-system-monitor to be sure what your %cpu includes, and what overhead it introduces. That's why I asked you to use "top" as it should be the same in Gnome or KDE, and probably with less overhead.

When you report results, can you please specify whether it's for local video or internet streamed video. I would expect higher % cpu for internet video.

If you need further help, we will need that information I requested about the video H/W and the video driver being used. I will also need to have a better breakdown of CPU % for firefox and Xorg separately, by using "top" without the Gnome-system-monitor.

I'm glad you had some success. You are welcome to further help and suggest you post back here as I will keep track of the thread.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast