Thread: HP OfficeJet 6500 under opensuse 11.1

Sodokan NNTP User

Default HP OfficeJet 6500 under opensuse 11.1

I have an HP OfficeJet 6500 AIO on my network. It was installed by a PC with WIN XP and works. What must I do to be able to use the printer from my PC's with opensuse 11.1? I am a Linux novice.
    Please a step for step instruction for dummys.
    Many thanks.
    greetings
    Dieter

Default Re: HP OfficeJet 6500 under opensuse 11.1

Is the printer still on the xp machine? If so, you have a choice of setting it up as a normal windows shared printer or addind a tcp/ip port in xp and using tcp/ip printing (ususally this is easiest in mixed networks)
    To set it up in linux, use cups.
    Open a browser and enter the address: localhost:631.
    This will bring up the cups admin where you can add the printer. Enter the name and details for the printer and choose samba printing for the connection. Follow it through from there.
    Another way, if you are going to run everything networked is to get a cheap 2nd hand hp jetdirect print server and everyone will be able to use the printer and the xp machine doesn't always need to be switched on.

Sodokan NNTP User

Hi, the printer is connected over ethernet on the router. I don't see it in Linux. What shall I do?

* Sodokan wrote, On 09/01/2009 08:36 AM:
    > Hi, the printer is connected over ethernet on the router. I don't see it
    > in Linux. What shall I do?

It is fairly simple. Go to http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html download the software and install/configure it after reading the documentation.
    There's a hplip included with openSUSE but I had troubles with it recently, so try the one from the project page.

Uwe

Quote Originally Posted by buckesfeld View Post
    It is fairly simple. Go to HP Linux Imaging and Printing download the software and install/configure it after reading the documentation.
    There's a hplip included with openSUSE but I had troubles with it recently, so try the one from the project page.

Uwe
    I agree with this. Use the one from the HP site it seems to work better. I have a J6400 AIO and it works pretty well through Linux. The only thing I haven't been able to do is direct a scan from the printer to the Linux box - only the XP machine shows up in the LCD display as a destination to save the scan. not sure if it's possible as I haven't really tried figuring it out.
    IBM Thinkpad X60s | Intel L2400 | Intel 945GM | 3GB | openSUSE Tumbleweed
    Dell XPS 13 9360 | openSUSE Leap 42.3

hplip doesn't support samba printing - only direct tcp-ip or jetdirect network printing.
    (See: https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/19270)
    He still needs to set it up in cups or yast>hardware>printers.
    Sodokan
    Have you shared the printer in XP and set it to enable all users to print?

* whych,

why Samba printing? The printer has a built in printserver, so he doesn't need to share the printer.

Uwe

Quote Originally Posted by buckesfeld View Post
    * whych,

why Samba printing? The printer has a built in printserver, so he doesn't need to share the printer.

Uwe
    Sorry, I took it from the original post when he said he had it set up on XP that it was with a direct connection (else why the problem setting it up - yast printers will set it up fine without hplip if it's networked).
    There should be no problem then in setting it up with hplip - just run hp-setup as root from a terminal and it works out the box.
    (Not had a problem with the default (open)Suse default installed versions yet - you just need to use the manual setup and either point them to the ip address or dns printer name if you are running a dhcp server.